Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purchasing One's Atheism Cheaply
Purchasing One's Atheism Cheaply
David Bentley Hart's criticism of atheism is as follows:

Quote:The principal source of my melancholy, however, is my firm conviction that today’s most obstreperous infidels lack the courage, moral intelligence, and thoughtfulness of their forefathers in faithlessness. What I find chiefly offensive about them is not that they are skeptics or atheists; rather, it is that they are not skeptics at all and have purchased their atheism cheaply, with the sort of boorish arrogance that might make a man believe himself a great strategist because his tanks overwhelmed a town of unarmed peasants, or a great lover because he can afford the price of admission to a brothel. So long as one can choose one’s conquests in advance, taking always the paths of least resistance, one can always imagine oneself a Napoleon or a Casanova (and even better: the one without a Waterloo, the other without the clap).

I have to agree insofar as the "new" atheism rejecting the intellectually rigorous atheism of the old. Modern atheists can't hold a candle to Mackie, Ayer, Flew or Russell. From redefining atheism from the realm of the intellectual rigor into the realm of personal psychology, to forgoing analytical thinking in favor of pusillanimous rhetoric, to rejecting dispassionate examination for emotive expressions.

Atheism has lost the weight of intelligence it used to carry. It has become cheap.
RE: Purchasing One's Atheism Cheaply
It just means there's a great supply! Tongue
He sound as if he had spent one day on this website Big Grin. Just kidding, just kidding.

If he's talking about "militant atheism" then I'm all for pointing out the flaws of someones' religion, whether he feels offended or not but I don't agree with just throwing shit at someone and saying stuff like in your Religious Views.
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

The new Christianity doesn't look much like the old either.
(October 4, 2013 at 7:23 pm)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote: I have to agree insofar as the "new" atheism rejecting the intellectually rigorous atheism of the old. Modern atheists can't hold a candle to Mackie, Ayer, Flew or Russell. From redefining atheism from the realm of the intellectual rigor into the realm of personal psychology, to forgoing analytical thinking in favor of pusillanimous rhetoric, to rejecting dispassionate examination for emotive expressions.

Atheism has lost the weight of intelligence it used to carry. It has become cheap.

*fap, fap, fap, fap*

Huh? What are we talking about?
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
Whenever I hear all of these criticisms towards atheists, I think to myself, "Well, yeah, atheists are humans, too."
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Quote:David Bentley Hart's criticism of atheism is as follows:

He's an asshole.

And so are you.
Not all of us obtained this status cheaply. I spent years contemplating it from every imaginable angle before I "came out." In the end, it made me knowledgeable enough to send my step-father back to college for theological training because he couldn't answer my questions. He still hasn't figured out they can't help him, but he will.
I love a bargain.
(October 4, 2013 at 7:23 pm)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote: David Bentley Hart's criticism of atheism is as follows:

What I find chiefly offensive about them is not that they are skeptics or atheists; rather, it is that they are not skeptics at all and have purchased their atheism cheaply

Well, good for him.

Every atheist I know personally, or have been able to question, claims their atheism is a product of their skepticism. I have no reason to doubt them, since they apply the same method that got them to their atheism to other claims.

My atheism is also a product of my overall skepticism.

An example of my skepticism would be, I do not accept any claim that is not supported by demonstrable evidence and reasoned argument. When I apply this method, I get the following results, I do not accept claims of the existence of bigfoot, alien abductions, astrology, the existence of god(s), homeopathy, Loch Ness monster, crystal healing, etc, etc.

The time to start believing a claim is when it is supported by the above criteria, not a second before.

Please point out the problems with that method.

Quote:Atheism has lost the weight of intelligence it used to carry. It has become cheap.

Great, you found an article that agrees with your opinions.

Too bad you are both wrong.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2730 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27118 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism the unscientific belief (part one, two, and three) Little Rik 3049 361645 April 11, 2016 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Leaving cards with one Bible verse and one Quran verse for people to discover? ReptilianPeon 7 2357 November 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12476 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Does Atheism have a Generally accepted Symbol (and do we need one?) ManMachine 32 10490 December 4, 2014 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12150 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Pseudo-Atheism, this one is for you... LivingNumbers6.626 31 4122 July 29, 2014 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  One Small Step For Life, One Giant Leap For Understanding LivingNumbers6.626 6 3401 July 28, 2014 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10478 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0