Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
windows 8 to 8.1 and disk partioning
windows 8 to 8.1 and disk partioning
I have a question, I am going to install the release of windows 8.1 to my windows 8 system but I combined my split hard drive so I have everything on my C drive, if I install 8.1 will it wipe my data and create a new partition for all my programs and data or will I be safe?
Note: I have created a system image backup on my external hard drive just in case.
also I would like a answer asap please
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: windows 8 to 8.1 and disk partioning
I have a windows 8 laptop and I cant find the update in the store. I is disappoint.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

You should get another OS. Sorry to be blunt, but that's just the sad truth.
Linux mint!
Now seriouls there actually is no windows 8.1, windows 8 is actually 6.2 (Do not ask it really makes now sense) open cmd and check it out
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
I believe that a clean install will wipe the boot drive, unlike an upgrade.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Linux mint!
Now seriouls there actually is no windows 8.1, windows 8 is actually 6.2 (Do not ask it really makes now sense) open cmd and check it out

You understand that there's a difference between the OS build version and the kernel version, yes?

Open up a bash shell and type 'uname -a' and tell me what part of the output tells you what version of Mint you are running.
Well I have upgraded now, and its fine, and in fact is a improvement from 8, as in it no longer shit, not as good a 7 but not as bad a vista I would say between xp and 7, how I should have been.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
(October 18, 2013 at 2:40 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: between xp and 7, how I should have been.
err... no, not what it should have been!
Win8 should have been better than win7...
I'm still a happy win7 user, as the sticker on my laptop isn't good for win8... Tongue
(October 18, 2013 at 2:42 pm)pocaracas Wrote:
(October 18, 2013 at 2:40 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: between xp and 7, how I should have been.
err... no, not what it should have been!
Win8 should have been better than win7...
I'm still a happy win7 user, as the sticker on my laptop isn't good for win8... Tongue

Every iteration of an os changes things, that's why it's a different release. I find that many people equate an os being different with it being worse, likely because everybody has different ideas about what should change and what should remain the same, and they mistake the fact of their personal preferences in the matter not being followed for a fault in the new design. I know it took me forever to get used to the new location of things in XP after being used to where they were in NT, but that wasn't a fault in the OS. There may be legitimate faults in 8, but most of the bitches I hear are nothing but bullshit from people still stuck in the "fanboi" stage.

(October 18, 2013 at 2:19 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: You understand that there's a difference between the OS build version and the kernel version, yes?

...I do not think it means what you think it means.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Windows, the Swiss Cheese of programing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows defender has, once again, incorrectly identified my program as malware! FlatAssembler 36 1004 February 22, 2024 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  [Serious] Windows Movie Maker Help T.J. 6 710 November 29, 2021 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: AniKoferBo
  Windows Security plus Win 11 Oldandeasilyconfused 2 357 November 25, 2021 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Windows 11. Install it; Yes/ No/Wait Oldandeasilyconfused 24 2212 November 10, 2021 at 10:52 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Windows 11? Angrboda 29 2390 September 23, 2021 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: no one
  Anybody ever run Windows 10 on server hardware? popeyespappy 1 543 November 6, 2019 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Why isn't Android more serious contender to Windows? Fake Messiah 8 892 June 20, 2019 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Getting a Windows 98 game to run on modern windows vulcanlogician 23 2246 January 19, 2019 at 7:09 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  HELP! The Page Breaks in All My Documents Have Disappeared in Windows 2013 Rhondazvous 18 3888 January 9, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Windows 10 Running Slow A Theist 30 8191 June 2, 2017 at 5:46 am
Last Post: Joods