Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 3:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why God allows suffering
Why God allows suffering
Someone sent me this video about why people suffer. It's a sermon delivered by Greg Laurie.
http://www.harvest.org/r?id=2768&mid=1667

He goes into the book of Job....

some highlights:
1.We live on promises not explanations,so we shouldn't spend too much time asking God why

Reasons why:
1. To get our attention (Psalm 119:67)
He goes into how God is like a Shepard and goes into how we are like sheep. Uses the staff and rod to help us,more specific to this the rod. The worst tragedy can bring us to Christ. He talks about a women who lost a child.
2. God is in control of all circumstances that surround the believer
The devil can affect the life of the believer with God's permission.why does god give that permission? The devil can fulfill the purpose of God. God didn't create the devil as we know it,it was an angel who rebelled. He gives an example Jesus and how he died and satan wanted that. Goes into how God won't give us more than we can handle. No pain no gain.

4.suffering can be used to prepare you for a special task. God is getting you ready for something.

another ending highlight:
The worst tragedy in human history brought about the greatest good for humanity. That tragedy being the crucifixion of Jesus. Greatest good being salvation. Turn to God

I found this to be a good sermon,the Pastor was down to earth. It raised some nice points,but overall I'm not on the Jesus bandwagon. Some of the reasons why seemed to raise even more why's.
RE: Why God allows suffering
"The worst tragedy in human history brought about the greatest good for humanity. That tragedy being the crucifixion of Jesus. Greatest good being salvation. Turn to God"

ER.....no.

That "tragedy" wouldn't make my top 10,000 frankly.

Concentration camps, the Black death, Mao, Stalin, the slaughter of Native Americans, The Spanish Inquisition, The burning of witches, The slaughter of Armenians by Turkey, Pol Pot, a slew of African dictators (Idi Amin et al.), the Titanic, Various plane crashes, 9/11, the 100 years war, the 30 years war, various pandemics, the Irish Potato famine.....

The rest of the argument is basically even worse, and obviously based on the flawed assumption that there is a God in the first place. Try figuring out everything the pastor addresses beginning with the premise - there is no God. Suddenly its all just much easier to explain.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Suffering exists exactly as it would if life had no guide or creator. It is nothing like if there was an omnipotent, omniscient, benevolent creature guiding everything. Suffering is completely uncaring about what happens or to whom. It's because no one is sitting at a safe distance, twiddling his thumbs until the day that he can reward the few and punish the majority. A benevolent creature would never be so uncaring. But a lack of any supreme being explains suffering perfectly.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
Why does it seem that some people need a reason to not believe?
(October 22, 2013 at 2:25 am)catfish Wrote: Why does it seem that some people need a reason to not believe?

I'd like to think most people need a reason to do, or not do, anything.

Why does it seem that some people do not need a reason to believe?
(October 22, 2013 at 2:25 am)catfish Wrote: Why does it seem that some people need a reason to not believe?

I've had a lot of reasons to believe in my life. Only when I realized that I was wasting my time did my life finally get better. I didn't want a reason to not believe, I needed one.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
I just find it illogical to say that "the lack of something that I don't believe in" explains suffering... Undecided
Come on K2490 stop stealing my thread
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
I don't think that is quite what is being said:

The presence of something that should seek to prevent suffering becomes harder to justify in the light of suffering.
Quote:I just find it illogical to say that "the lack of something that I don't believe in" explains suffering...

Quote:Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epictetus

You clowns profess this fucker to be real. The problem is your own.

As for me, evil happens because a lot of people are miserable bastards. In fact, some of them are the same miserable bastards who invented your god as a cover for their crimes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus suffering vs eternal suffering of temporary sinners purplepurpose 72 9396 November 19, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 9188 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Why, God? Why?! LadyForCamus 233 30052 June 5, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why does Jesus' "suffering" matter? luka 99 20532 July 21, 2015 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12554 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  The Meaning of Pain & Suffering? ronedee 12 3165 March 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6708 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad
  Suffering Captain Scarlet 60 15291 August 21, 2010 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: tackattack