Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suffering
Suffering
Classic theist rebuttal of the problem of suffering is to say that suffering could be consistent with driving the maximum people to god by free will. This is possible but lacks moral seriousness. But why hasn't god realised a world where all people come to freely beleive in him without suffering? He has created possible worlds where this has been the case. The garden of eden, the immediate post flood earth and heaven itself. All people freely believed and no suffering, so why not now? Is he just toying with us or does he simply not exist?
RE: Suffering
He doesn't exist. End of story.
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
It's all a myth... and not a particularly good one. The Greeks, Romans, and Norse were much better at it.
He doesn't exist, at least not by any evidence that I have been presented.

That was easy.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
(August 13, 2010 at 5:45 pm)chasm Wrote: He doesn't exist. End of story.
I agree chasm, but not everyone does and this forum helps us debate reasons for unbelief. We cannot dismiss gods without giving our reasoning a bit of rigour. I don't belong to the weak athiest school which claims we have no case to answer because we do not make a knowledge claim. I am a strong athiest and make a knowledge claim that there is no god and therefore need to state my reasons.
(August 13, 2010 at 6:10 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote: I agree chasm, but not everyone does and this forum helps us debate reasons for unbelief. We cannot dismiss gods without giving our reasoning a bit of rigour.

I understand that. It was mostly a sarcastic answer from my perspective. Of course I don't expect everyone to go along with it, and I know other people have varying opinions. I'm not an idiot.
(August 13, 2010 at 6:10 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote:
(August 13, 2010 at 5:45 pm)chasm Wrote: He doesn't exist. End of story.
I agree chasm, but not everyone does and this forum helps us debate reasons for unbelief. We cannot dismiss gods without giving our reasoning a bit of rigour. I don't belong to the weak athiest school which claims we have no case to answer because we do not make a knowledge claim. I am a strong athiest and make a knowledge claim that there is no god and therefore need to state my reasons.

That was snarky. "Weak atheist school" indeed.

As I stated, there has been no evidence to convince me that there is a god or gods. I lay no claim to a belief in allah or god, anyone who has evidence is free to disclose it.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
Chasm I apologise for lack of humour, I didn't mean to insult your intelligence
Rhage weak atheism is a common enough term. A respected position just not one I hold, no offence intended.
(August 13, 2010 at 6:27 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote: Chasm I apologise for lack of humour, I didn't mean to insult your intelligence

Well, then, you are forgiven. ^^
(August 13, 2010 at 5:56 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: It's all a myth... and not a particularly good one. The Greeks, Romans, and Norse were much better at it.
its like a movie of a great book. since its a compiled&narrowed version of some pagan myths.
Quote:Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Gandalf The Gray.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus suffering vs eternal suffering of temporary sinners purplepurpose 72 9354 November 19, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why does Jesus' "suffering" matter? luka 99 20453 July 21, 2015 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Why God allows suffering k2490 10 2240 October 22, 2013 at 6:35 am
Last Post: Dolphins are the best
  The Meaning of Pain & Suffering? ronedee 12 3160 March 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen