Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to explain church miracles?
how to explain church miracles?
I became an atheist recently as I felt like god doesn't really care or do much to help us and as messed up as this world is it's prolly best for his reputation that he doesn't exist.

But I wonder sometimes about miracles and stuff for example in church.

A few I seen,

When I was 16 my pastor took me to a guy who could speak in toyngues and the guy prayed for me and said some stuff in tongues, and was like "I can feel you are very depressed, but someday things will get better"...so do you think he was just bsing me and making up random noises? He was like 40 years old.

Another time I was in church a guy came to speak and when he was done and everyone was kinda mingling, he took a look at me and the first thing he said was "you are going to be blessed this week"... And the next day my parents got me a golden retriever.

Also for skyrim fans have u seen the fus roh day in church where the priest says something and everyone falls down? Do u think that was a set up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOxVjbGv...ata_player
RE: how to explain church miracles?
(October 26, 2013 at 8:07 pm)leodeo Wrote: Also for skyrim fans have u seen the fus roh day in church where the priest says something and everyone falls down? Do u think that was a set up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOxVjbGv...ata_player

[Image: are-you-serious.gif]
Ya, did the church say "okay today everyone fall down when the priest shouts?"
(October 26, 2013 at 8:15 pm)leodeo Wrote: Ya, did the church say "okay today everyone fall down when the priest shouts?"

Did god say: "I will make a miracle because I love a videogame so much?"

Are you really an atheist?

The graveyard of this forum is full with people claiming to be atheists who werent.
The church thing was a recording, they video game music was edited into it as a joke.

I just wanted know what people thought of it and how it happened.
(October 26, 2013 at 8:07 pm)leodeo Wrote: When I was 16 my pastor took me to a guy who could speak in toyngues and the guy prayed for me and said some stuff in tongues, and was like "I can feel you are very depressed, but someday things will get better"...so do you think he was just bsing me and making up random noises? He was like 40 years old.
yes, it seems speaking in tongues is BS. Look it up.
And it doesn't take a psych expert to see when someone is a bit depressed, does it?

(October 26, 2013 at 8:07 pm)leodeo Wrote: Another time I was in church a guy came to speak and when he was done and everyone was kinda mingling, he took a look at me and the first thing he said was "you are going to be blessed this week"... And the next day my parents got me a golden retriever.
People talk...
or
people make guesses...

(October 26, 2013 at 8:07 pm)leodeo Wrote: Also for skyrim fans have u seen the fus roh day in church where the priest says something and everyone falls down? Do u think that was a set up?

Setup by a few in the audience, played along by many of the faithful... and peer pressuring into the rest.... and it happened to be filmed from a nice angle...

Here, try to keep up with Tim and wait for him to give up all those things:

(October 26, 2013 at 8:19 pm)leodeo Wrote: The church thing was a recording, they video game music was edited into it as a joke.

I just wanted know what people thought of it and how it happened.

Trance, or whatever. Things like these are known to happen.

I thought you reriously believed that the priest screamed fus do rah.
People talking in 'tongues' has long since known to be fraudulent in some sense. Even the part of the Bible where speaking in tongues comes from (the ending of Mark) is known to have been added later by Christians. It's an interpolation, a forgery.
What the others have already said, plus this. It's easy to fool people into thinking you have some special insight when you make vague statements and let their own mind fill in the blanks. For example, you connected your parents buying you a dog with the pronouncement that you are going to be blessed. The church guy didn't mention the dog (at least from the information you provided) - you did that yourself and then wondered how this guy could have known.

I see nothing miraculous in anything you mention here, nor any reason to leap instantly to such a conclusion that you think requires an explanation, particularly when we can only base our speculations on the information you choose to share because none of us were present at the time.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Predictions, whether they come from fake psychics or religious nuts, tend to be vague in their wordings so that it can apply to just about any situation that may arise in the individual's life.

It makes them nothing more than con-artists.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To explain why we can define God to affirm his existence! Mystic 119 11538 March 24, 2017 at 11:27 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  "Of Miracles" by David Hume Pyrrho 41 8234 May 20, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: The Inquisition
  Miracles are useless as evidence Pizza 0 1231 March 15, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  Defying Occam's Razor to Explain Random Events Coffee Jesus 2 1640 May 3, 2014 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Coffee Jesus
  Does Hume's argument against miracles succeed? MindForgedManacle 2 1338 July 27, 2013 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4