Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Gem is Making it's way Around FB
This Gem is Making it's way Around FB
http://www.faithit.com/atheist-heroin-ad...of-prayer/

So obnoxious. "I prayed to god about helping my family financially, because I shot up all our money. God is great! I'm a complete convert."
Eeeew
RE: This Gem is Making it's way Around FB
A person did a nice thing out of the goodness of his heart and it motivated a person to try to clean up his life. I wish they didn't have to tack God onto it, but that's the world we live in.
Oh I know...I watched it with my girlfriend last night. How in the world could a struggling crack-head at the end of his rope (that just prayed) find comfort in an imaginary friend? Oh...The correlation of his prayer coinciding with a weirdo handing out free money! Of course! Conclusion...God did it.

I'd be interested if they came back to him in a year to see how that prayer stuff has been working out for him.

It would be my recommendation that he give all that crap up, go to rehab, and get a job. He might be surprised how much he can accomplish if he stops looking to the skies for change, and starts rebuilding his life with his own hands.

It was the great powers of Cthulhu! I believe now, Cthulhu exists!
Joe Pesci!
Proof that coincidence and random kindness exist. No proof of a god.
Honestly, I doubt he'll ever be free of heroin addiction. But some thing does need to be said for having the strength of someone other than yourself helping you beat an addiction you can't beat on your own. Especially when you are able to hone in on unlimited strength like that of a god. The greatest thing you can learn though I believe, is that you are strong enough to beat it yourself (a few are able to even beat heroin). If you need to feel the comfort of the representation of the best side of yourself in order to do it: so be it. God it up! But no one's doing that work but you, no matter your reasoning.
Just comes to show why some hold so steadfast to their beliefs; they're afraid that without the god they have relied upon for so long, they aren't themselves able to do it. Take what you can get, I guess. If the god card improves their chance at a happy life, go for it! No one really cares what you believe until those beliefs become a prejudicial interference on how you interact with the rest of the world.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
"He did pray, for the first time since childhood. Then out of the blue, this saint shows up, slipping hundreds into his hand."

HOLY SHIT, GUYS, HOLD OOOOOOOOOOOON!

[Image: stock-footage-exhausted-climber-pauses-a...-tibet.jpg]

BBC > CBC
So, God saves an atheist from heroin, but entirely abandons my contrite, well-meaning and devout mother to waste away from both alcoholism and eating disorders?

He sure does have a sense of humor, all right.
Proof that god exists! Hallelujah.

Wait. Isn't this proof that decent people exist?

As for proof, they can get back to me when their deity makes a personal appearance or a simply laying on of hands grows back a severed limb - a toe will do!

Thinking
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satan and Making Mock zwanzig 24 2165 May 21, 2021 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Why do some religious people think the world revolves around them? Cecelia 28 9422 June 3, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: J a c k
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3584 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20453 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2677 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  If someone says science can't explain everything what's the best way to repond? ReptilianPeon 94 12941 December 14, 2016 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Theist trope: "Is life just a game?", what's the best way to rerpond? ReptilianPeon 8 3049 May 20, 2016 at 4:06 am
Last Post: Alex K
  If someone says to me "consciousness, therefore god", what's the best way to respond? ReptilianPeon 56 7599 March 9, 2016 at 7:02 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Justifying the way things are. Combanitorics 11 3538 October 31, 2015 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Waving your religion around in public is like dyresand 9 3377 September 11, 2015 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: vorlon13