Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A better way to view atheists.
A better way to view atheists.
Another fallacious myth about atheists theists think is that we speak in terms of absolutes, which is patently false. To understand why this is false, all the believer has to do is think about all the claims of others outside their own claim, and the rightful rejection of those claims. We don't have to think much about rejecting the claim that the sun is a god. The atheist simply discards prior data when it is known to be false.

How much time does the believe take when thinking about Thor making lightening? How much time does the believer think about Apollo being a real god? Discarding bad claims does not make us arrogant, anymore than saying the earth is not flat makes one arrogant.

The reality is that atheists are open minded, when proven data comes in we adapt. What we don't do is cling to something merely because we like it. It is merely being intellectually honest, like being a reff in the NFL watching a replay "This is what happened, and this is the call".

Not liking our message does not make us evil, anymore than finding out Santa is not real will cause doomsday. It just means your knowledge and intellect has matured.
RE: A better way to view atheists.
(November 11, 2013 at 12:32 pm)Brian37 Wrote: ...finding out Santa is not real...
(partial quote)
Last week I was at a christian bible study (gaining recon) and someone there said something about Santa. I blurted out... "Oh you still believe in Santa too?" I think the atheist humor went right over their heads (No one there knows I'm an atheist). Santa
(November 11, 2013 at 1:39 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote:
(November 11, 2013 at 12:32 pm)Brian37 Wrote: ...finding out Santa is not real...
(partial quote)
Last week I was at a christian bible study (gaining recon) and someone there said something about Santa. I blurted out... "Oh you still believe in Santa too?" I think the atheist humor went right over their heads (No one there knows I'm an atheist). Santa

What possessed you to go to a "bible study"? I understand in the closet people so if that is you, I certainly wont judge. But if you are not under such societal pressure, why would you?
I recently said to a woman at work, who was getting increasingly angry at me for being an atheist, that it was ridiculous to be angry at me for not believing in god. Could you be angry at me for not believing in Zues?

She shook her head and said no that was an ancient myth, I laughed (irony got the better of me) and replied that I felt the same about the Judeo/Christian god or any god for that matter.

She made a frustrated noise and walked off.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
Good for you.
(November 11, 2013 at 1:42 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(November 11, 2013 at 1:39 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote: (partial quote)

What possessed you to go to a "bible study"? I understand in the closet people so if that is you, I certainly wont judge. But if you are not under such societal pressure, why would you?
My wife is a Christian and many of the people in the group are my friends. Not all of the Christians that attend this regular meeting are jerks like some others I know. I occasionally attend these meetings to keep tabs on what is filling my wife's head. I want to hear first hand arguments for their reasoning (or lack thereof), and I sometimes offer secular reasoning as a counter to their faith claims and so on. I am not in the closet and I have no interest in converting back to Christianity (nor any other religion). My interest in religion lies solely in the role of being a watchdog. I'll bark as loud as I can when I see trouble approaching my household, and if it dares to step onto my property I will tear it limb from limb. Plainly put, I go to maintain damage control, that, and the cookies are good and they're free Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 34688 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Theocracy on the way Spongebob 94 5389 January 19, 2022 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 558 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 963 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Help me understand you better pokey555 12 1760 August 10, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1520 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2662 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists. Does life uh... find a way? Richimorto 6 959 July 29, 2020 at 12:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Best argument for Atheism in my view Kimoev 29 3851 September 5, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Vince
  A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... jessieban 39 3584 June 21, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician