Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How atheist are you
How atheist are you
Was listening to Prof Dawkins on the way to work this morning. He described a spectrum of agnosticism from
1, KNOWING there is a god,
2 Being almost certain there is
3 more probable than not,
4, even odds,
5, more probable than not that there isn't,
6, almost certain there isn't, and
7. KNOWING there is no God.

He described himself as a 6, and cited the celestial teapot, which may or may not be orbiting the sun, as an example (it's probably not but he couldn't be certain).

So my question is, where are you on Dawkins scale?
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
RE: How atheist are you
6.9 I know there is no god unless you can prove one to me.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
I fluctuate frequently between 5- 7

Less than zero.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Number 1. I KNOW the Yoga-Lord exists.

May the power of the Yogage bless you all.
Cunt
I think this scale is BS. I just don't have any reasons to believe, and that's all. It's totally ridiculous for anyone to claim they know anything- all humans are agnostic whether they admit it or not. Nobody knows. I get tired of theists and atheists who claim to know something that is unknowable. So fuck Dawkins and his stupid scale.
I think there is indeed a way to know, but we don't know that way yet. So, I am a 6.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
These numbers represent courics, right?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(November 15, 2013 at 9:27 am)Zazzy Wrote: So fuck Dawkins and his stupid scale.

The scale itself isn't too bad at describing the relative positions certain people think they hold, so I wouldn't bash on Dawkins for that personally.

It does seem wholly unnecessary to even need a scale though, as you say, in reality nobody really knows for certain.
I'd say I'm about a 6.5 or so. I don't believe in any gods because there is no evidence to show that any ever existed, and I'm firmly convinced that all gods were invented by man. There could be some chance that there is some being way out there that lives beyond space and time, but using Occam's Razor it's most likely that this isn't the case and all ideas of gods came from primitive man trying to explain the world around him.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7051 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist