Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:38 am

Poll: Are you less happy now that you are an atheist because of just loosing the belief?
This poll is closed.
No, I am just as happy or happier discovering reality, not withstanding any outside effects by the believers.
97.30%
36 97.30%
Yes, I am less happy overall, ignorance is bliss.
2.70%
1 2.70%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists ONLY - Are you less happy now that you are an atheist?
Atheists ONLY - Are you less happy now that you are an atheist?
Atheists, are you less happy now that you no longer believe in God, excluding any unhappiness caused by theists' nonacceptance or attacks?

I am wanting to know if just losing the god belief itself has caused you permanent unhappiness.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
RE: Atheists ONLY - Are you less happy now that you are an atheist?
Nope, made me happier because I feel like I have more control and I'm no longer worried about hell and heaven (as a theist I thought both were awful options and often worry about death).
I've never been aware of being anything else, so answering "no" makes little sense; true though it may be. Unhappiness in my life has nothing to do with atheism, mine or anyone else's. Hope there's something useful in that lot.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I am happier, more free from the oppressive restraints of religion, now than I was as a theist.

Theism is a veritable shroud that hides reality from one's perception. Once the theistic shroud is removed, it is akin to viewing the world with the clarity of color vision rather than black and white.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 19, 2013 at 7:41 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: I am happier, more free from the oppressive restraints of religion, now than I was as a theist.

Theism is a veritable shroud that hides reality from one's perception. Once the theistic shroud is removed, it is akin to viewing the world with the clarity of color vision rather than black and white.

That second paragraph, damn that's good! Wish I'd thought that up!
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

(November 19, 2013 at 7:36 pm)Brakeman Wrote: Atheists, are you less happy now that you no longer believe in God, excluding any unhappiness caused by theists' nonacceptance or attacks?

I am wanting to know if just losing the god belief itself has caused you permanent unhappiness.

I am the same.

MM

(November 19, 2013 at 7:41 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: I am happier, more free from the oppressive restraints of religion, now than I was as a theist.

All you did was swap one set of restraints for another set.

The need to belong tethers us to compromise, any true expression of personal liberty cannot be understood by others.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(November 19, 2013 at 7:41 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: Theism is a veritable shroud that hides reality from one's perception. Once the theistic shroud is removed, it is akin to viewing the world with the clarity of color vision rather than black and white.

"I once was blind but now I see...."
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
Well I have never been religious.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
No.

In fact the opposite is true. I'm far happier now than I was when I followed a religion. In my case, Catholicism.
Dying to live, living to die.
I don't know how happy I'd be if I would have carried on believing in god.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Less anger towards religion Macoleco 64 5919 December 14, 2022 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Britney Spears is now an atheist! Jehanne 24 2791 November 26, 2022 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: Mandelbrotfornia
  We atheists now have our own social network rado84 16 1685 August 12, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2662 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
Photo Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 90 6255 January 28, 2020 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 0 557 January 18, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Now I am a Believer
  Our Role(s) as Atheists on an Atheist Forum. ignoramus 28 3764 May 12, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6490 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2177 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god. Whateverist 88 16079 September 4, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Astonished