Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How do you prove to everybody including yourself you're an atheist?
Question 
How do you prove to everybody including yourself you're an atheist?
You look in the mirror and tell yourself, "I am an atheist".

You stand in front of people and tell them, "I am an atheist".

It doesn't take any skill or talent to do that (any moron can do it) so how do you actually prove it's true?

Do you have a scientific method of proving to everybody you're an atheist? 

Do you cross your fingers and hope for the best when you tell everybody you're an atheist?

Do you get out a book which proves you're an atheist?

Do you beg everybody to have faith in you and to believe in you when you tell them you're an atheist?

Do you use violence to make people believe you're an atheist?

Or, do you simply prove you're an atheist by proving to everybody you're a moron because any moron can call themselves an atheist?

But then again, somebody smart can pretend to be atheist dumb.

So how do you prove you're an atheist?

Huh
RE: How do you prove to everybody including yourself you're an atheist?
Do you think that you know what you do or don't believe?  I ask, because that's all the skill or talent being an atheist or a theist takes.

If you think that you know what you believe, it's likely that other people are similarly equipped, and each of you is answering a relatively simple question about yourselves, isn't it?

-and yes, there actually are scientific ways of determining whether a person is likely to respond to a survey about belief in gods in a specific way. What's interesting about that, I think, isn't so much that people who don't believe in gods tend to answer given questions about other things in a specific way, but those sets of respondents who answer questions much as the other group might.

There are, apparently, alot of theists who think exactly like atheists, and vv.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
[Image: opus-bloom-county-zzzz.gif]

What does it matter?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I'm thrilled that this thread was tagged serious.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 22, 2021 at 11:26 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Do you think that you know what you do or don't believe?  I ask, because that's all the skill or talent being an atheist or a theist takes.

If you think that you know what you believe, it's likely that other people are similarly equipped, and each of you is answering a relatively simple question about yourselves, isn't it?

If everybody stopped mentioning atheism it wouldn't exist.

If everybody stop mentioning the sun it would still exist.

Do you see the difference between reality and fiction?

The sun doesn't have a big sign which reads, "I am an atheist" but you do.

What does that sign you're holding up actually prove if anybody can do it?

Surely, it proves you're either an actor or mental.
(March 22, 2021 at 11:33 am)Walter99 Wrote:
(March 22, 2021 at 11:26 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Do you think that you know what you do or don't believe?  I ask, because that's all the skill or talent being an atheist or a theist takes.

All great questions, but I didn't find any clarity about whether or how you knew what you believed, or the level of difficulty you assign to the task when you consider your own experience?

At any rate - your questions.

I like to think that I see the difference between reality and fiction, sure.   You?

My being an atheist doesn't prove anything.  IDK if anybody could do it..you'd think that theists would have a hard time being atheists.  Hard(er), at least.  

A person telling you that they're an atheist is a person telling you that they don't believe in gods.  Kind of brings us right back around to the initial question.  If you told me what you believed, I'd be inclined to believe that you believed it.  I suspect that you're a competent person who has valid comments on what you do and don't believe.  I think that it would be impossible for you to get every comment about what you do and don't believe 100% wrong 100% of the time.  

Do you view yourself that way, and when you apprehend others, do you imagine that they're much like you in this regard? What do you think it would (or should?) take for a person to demonstrate to you that they are, in fact, an atheist? It would be fun to see a list.

(March 22, 2021 at 11:33 am)brewer Wrote: I'm thrilled that this thread was tagged serious.

That was all it was ever going to be used for.  It' still a great civility pre-bump, I think. Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 22, 2021 at 11:33 am)Walter99 Wrote:

“Serious,” huh?  Read
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Quote:My being an atheist doesn't prove anything. 

You're getting ahead of yourself.

You haven't proven you're an atheist which is the whole point of my post.

I can stand in front of a mirror and tell myself I'm a Ford Fiesta but it doesn't mean I am one or are you saying it does?

Let's get the horse and cart the right way around by first proving you're an atheist.

Quote:“Serious,” huh?  Read

I find it ironic that you have religious views even though you call yourself an atheist which you say is not a religion.

Heart
(March 22, 2021 at 12:03 pm)Walter99 Wrote: You're getting ahead of yourself.

I can stand in front of a mirror and tell myself I'm a Ford Fiesta but it doesn't mean I am one or are you saying it does?

Let's get the horse and cart the right way around by first proving you're an atheist.

Well, sure...that's exactly why I asked you for a list.  Should be a pretty simple q and a.
(March 22, 2021 at 12:03 pm)Walter99 Wrote:
Quote:My being an atheist doesn't prove anything. 

You're getting ahead of yourself.

Quote:“Serious,” huh?  Read

I find it ironic that you have religious views even though you call yourself an atheist which you say is not a religion.

Heart

You’re right. I’ve been living a lie. This conversion has been a life-changing experience. I can’t thank you enough for educating me. I’m so lucky you joined this forum today! Your ability to know my deepest subconscious thoughts and feelings is equal parts startling and impressive. Without you I never would have known my true self, and for that, I am forever indebted to you. Praise Jesus, I’m saved!
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Believers, put yourself in my place. Gawdzilla Sama 102 12900 November 23, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7039 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Trick Yourself Into Believing In God LivingNumbers6.626 10 2487 July 21, 2016 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can't prove the supernatural God maestroanth 235 22109 June 4, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: SilverFrog
  How to respond to "prove God doesn't exist" Help? dragonman73 11 3032 April 8, 2016 at 4:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "Prove to me god doesn't exist" TanithDaUnicorn 67 9300 March 6, 2016 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  A Challenge to You All: Prove I'm not God FebruaryOfReason 40 6237 February 21, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
Rainbow Who am I .... have you feel yourself... Faisal 34 4547 October 29, 2014 at 9:56 am
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Hey Gnostic Atheist - prove your point answer-is-42 26 7021 September 18, 2014 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Hey Anti-Theists! Prove Your Claim Neo-Scholastic 85 13629 August 20, 2014 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: ComradeMeow