Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brit Atheist Moving to USA
Rainbow 
Brit Atheist Moving to USA
Hi everyone!

I am a British atheist who has relatively recently proposed to my fiancé, an American agnostic. If all goes to plan I will be moving to Philadelphia in around 7 months to be with her. Obviously this is a tremendously exciting time but I would also like to know of other atheist's experiences of moving to a country that has a prolific religious population. I have visited the USA four times and have had no problems, but yet got an overwhelming sense of the idolisation of jesus christ, especially from my extended family and people on the streets. I would very much appreciate any tips, advice or discussion that follows this post, especially from those who have been in a similar situation to myself.

Thank you very much, and i'm glad to have found this forum.

Adam
RE: Brit Atheist Moving to USA
Welcome!

How did you make that cute little rainbow come up near the thread title? I feel unequipped to deal with ornamentation on my threads.

Philly is cold, but if you're a Brit, you can deal with that. Don't know about religion there, but this is 'Murica. Jesus is our President and King.
Stay north of the Mason-Dixon line...you'll be fine.

Welcome.
(November 15, 2013 at 11:27 pm)AJHammet Wrote: Hi everyone!

I am a British atheist who has relatively recently proposed to my fiancé, an American agnostic. If all goes to plan I will be moving to Philadelphia in around 7 months to be with her. Obviously this is a tremendously exciting time but I would also like to know of other atheist's experiences of moving to a country that has a prolific religious population. I have visited the USA four times and have had no problems, but yet got an overwhelming sense of the idolisation of jesus christ, especially from my extended family and people on the streets. I would very much appreciate any tips, advice or discussion that follows this post, especially from those who have been in a similar situation to myself.

Adam

Well, Philly is liberal socially in most aspects but economically it is a mix. I think you'd have to worry more about going to local sporting events not rooting for the Eagles or Fliers , Phillies or 76ers.

It is the rest of the country you have to worry about when it comes to religion. Most major cities are tolerant when it comes to minorities, but go out to the burbs and sticks it can be quite a mix, more center and south it is worse for atheists.
(November 15, 2013 at 11:27 pm)AJHammet Wrote: Hi everyone!

Adam

Welcome Adam!

With a name like that, you should fit right in with the fundies Big Grin

Just kiddin'! Lay in to them. That's my advice. The days of biting tongues have gone on long enough in my opinion. As time goes on, I find myself being less and less discrete with my take on the insanity that gets publically tossed around like a hacky sack-I'm done playing this game, and I never asked to participate. Offense is taken not given, and there's no reason you should be expected not to be yourself while they get a pass on being nuts! At any rate, I think you'll enjoy yourself here, both in the US and AF! See ya around the forums! Cheers!

(November 15, 2013 at 11:36 pm)Zazzy Wrote: Welcome!

How did you make that cute little rainbow come up near the thread title? I feel unequipped to deal with ornamentation on my threads.

Click on reply...look below the box that shows the subject title of the thread....START BEDAZZLING YOUR THREADS!!
Stay the fuck away from the South. I'm an atheist in TN, and every time it comes up I get proselytized to and insulted. Although with a rising interest in arguments and study on them I'm getting better at defending my position.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
Thank you Zazzy!

I just chose it when creating my thread! I thought it alluded to my own quest for my pot of gold! Be it for love, happiness or the thought of regular sex! Hah!

And Brian37, I have, over the years, and through association developed a penchant for the Flyers!

Thank you everyone for your replies, I am quite aware of how the South can seem like another world! Many of my relatives are from Texas and Alabama and I love them, but have found disagreement when my Uncle Ken - a US Marine Vet - Thanks god and not his kevlar vest. It is these small differences that I find somewhat alien. The fact that being a non-believer can at times be a minority, let alone a threat is something I must not accept, but realise. Not to say I am ever going to soften my views on the non-god - quite the opposite - but I am aware of the differences between the UK and the USA, and at the end of the day I would like to be a grateful citizen, yet continue to be a strong atheist.

Thank you
(November 15, 2013 at 11:56 pm)AJHammet Wrote: my Uncle Ken - a US Marine Vet - Thanks god and not his kevlar vest.

Spit Coffee
Welcome to the site, and soon -- to the states! You must try the Philly cheese steaks Big Grin
Deidre, I have tried a Philly cheese steak and I must say that I believe them to be God awful! I still don't know if I got a dud one, i got mine down on Market Street near the river, but have then heard that there's only one place to get a cheese-steak!! Where the fuck is it?! I am willingly and hungrily ready to change my mind!!

The Reality Salesman, I'm very happy someone found this as funny as me! My parents didn't understand! Nor did my friends or my fiancé! I could fault it to my anecdote, but I like to believe all evidence points to everyone but me and you having a shit sense of humour!

Thanks everyone!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Edit: *Living in* Pennsylvania USA Easy Guns 27 3424 July 4, 2015 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Joods
  Hi from the middle of bible thumper USA The Last Resort 21 5048 May 19, 2013 at 3:28 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Atheist from south Florida (USA) Miami_Marlins_fan 9 3547 April 23, 2012 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn
  Hello from Missouri, USA Stucky 26 4066 September 29, 2011 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower
  Hello from Ohio USA kkaplan 7 2502 March 9, 2009 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: Mark