Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 Debunked
2012 Debunked
I'll try not to fail at posting my first thread of debunk. ._. Please be easy on me...

I found this on another site; link wasn't given. I did try finding it, though, and I think this might've been the site:

(can't post it right now; haven't posted 10 posts yet :S)

Quote:''News is spreading quickly here that scientists writing in a (Dutch) popular science periodical (google translation linked) have debunked the 2012 date featuring so prominently in doomsday predictions/speculation across the web. On 2012-12-21, the sun will appear where you would normally be able to see the 'galactic equator' of the Milky Way; an occurrence deemed special because it happens 'only' once every 25.800 years, on the winter solstice. However, even if you ignore the fact that there is no actual galactic equator, just an observed one, and that the visual effect is pretty much the same for an entire decade surrounding that date, there are major problems with the way the Maya Calendar is being read by doomsday prophets.

Because written records were almost all destroyed by 16th-century Spaniards, quite a lot of guesswork surrounds the translation of their calendar to ours, and it appears something went very wrong with the calculations. The Mayas used 4 different calendars, all of different lengths, with the longest of which counting out ages of roughly 5200 years. Figuring out how these relate to 'our' calendars is a big problem, which scientists had thought they had figured out about a century ago. (That's where the 2012 date, which now turns out to be almost 2 centuries out of date, comes from.) However, A German geologist showed in 2005 (in his dissertation) that the proposed correlation to GMT didn't fit with a lot of Mayan-observed events that we know about, and calculated that a roughly 208 year correction was needed, meaning the soonest the Mayan Calendar can end is in 2220.

The final blow was arguably the thesis that nature scientist Andreas Fuls three years ago doctorate at the Technical University Berlin. Fuls pointed out that the GMT-correlation not consistent with a preserved Mayan table on which the positions of Venus are listed. And so there is more, such as inscriptions and objects in time of Goodman, Martinez and Thompson were not detected or outdated. By adding to it all, comes from a very different Fuls dating: one that 208 years has shifted. The end of the long count by the correlation is only about two centuries, at 21, 22 or December 23, 2220. "It is the only option," says Fuls if you ask him about it. (Google translation)

Until then, it would appear we are quite safe, except from Hollywood''

Full article.

Sooo... I'm pretty sure that most of us never believed in 2012 anyways... But hopefully this explains now that 2012 is irrational (sorry if that's offensive to any 2012ers out there).
I hope this is the right board I'm posting in, too. >_<
╔═╪══╬═╦╦═╬══╪═╗
║♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ McGodless! ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ║
Bah-bah-bah-bah-bahhh~!
║♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ I'm lovin' it! ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪║
╚═╪══╬═╩╩═╬══╪═╝

"And God said, drunk, 'Let there be Tails Turrosaki,' and there was Tails."
RE: 2012 Debunked
haha, yeah, I also have never believed in this either. It'll be just like everything that happened in Y2K, nothing. Everyone will stock up on provisions and prepare for the end of the world or something special to happen, and it'll be just like the day before, nothing.

I find these people very amusing, I just sit back and watch "nothing" happen. hahah.. Also

Wecome to the AF! Enjoy your stay, as I do as well.
Big Grin FSM Grin
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
Comparing it to Y2K is good. The way I see it, the end of the long count is nothing more than a lack of foresight on the part of the Mayans, just like the lack of foresight in early computer scientists lead to most of the Y2K scare.
- Meatball
You mean there's a chance that these people are wrong and the world won't end. Shucks, you can't trust anyone these days!!
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Lol. xDD I don't believe that the world will end in 2220, either... But hopefully the 2012ers will stfu (to put it in the nicest way possible).
╔═╪══╬═╦╦═╬══╪═╗
║♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ McGodless! ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ║
Bah-bah-bah-bah-bahhh~!
║♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ I'm lovin' it! ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪║
╚═╪══╬═╩╩═╬══╪═╝

"And God said, drunk, 'Let there be Tails Turrosaki,' and there was Tails."
(November 8, 2009 at 3:23 pm)Tails Turrosaki Wrote: But hopefully the 2012ers will stfu (to put it in the nicest way possible).

Either way I think you're onto a winner there Wink
You mean that people are going to start preparing for 2220 once 2012 has come and gone? Undecided
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(November 9, 2009 at 1:03 pm)Saerules Wrote: You mean that people are going to start preparing for 2220 once 2012 has come and gone? Undecided
No, people are going to start preparing for 2013. I don't think there has ever been a year where someone (or even a group of people) haven't proclaimed it the apocalypse.
lol, true that Smile WTF is with all these doomsday cults anyway? (And other moronic doomsday conspiracies) Thinking
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
2013!...2013!?! NOOOOOOOO! That's the year I turn 50!
binnyCoffee

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Two Years Later,Indian Skeptic Who Debunked a “Miracle” is Still in Exile in Finland MountainsWinAgain 2 1303 June 4, 2014 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  AronRa debating with theists at the Reason Rally 2012 Ziploc Surprise 1 1857 April 1, 2012 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: mediamogul
  Top Seven Ways Christianity is Debunked By the Sciences Justtristo 128 42721 September 30, 2011 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  10 Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked thesummerqueen 31 6795 September 20, 2011 at 9:24 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko