Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The cosmological argument really needs to die already.
The cosmological argument really needs to die already.
This argument is really past it's prime, we've heard it over and over again for years, often spouted by apologists. It usually goes like this:

1) Everything that begins to exist has a cause.
2) The universe began to exist.
3) Therefore the universe has a cause.

But I think it's time should be up. The down side for the religious, is that it's the most important argument, it attempts to set up the moment in which god does his ultimate magic trick, making a universe from nothing! Here are a few reasons why it should be abandoned.

1) It doesn't prove god.

My question is, where is god in the last premise? It simply says a cause, if you accept the logical inferences that is (and there are reasons to deny many of the premises). This cause could be literally anything.

Even if the reasoning is valid, it kinda wouldn't even prove it, but now let me explain: Existence claims require, you guessed it, evidence. You can't just argue something into existence like that, and expect people to believe it.

A further even if: Even IF your reasoning is valid, and you give evidence for this god (for example proving the only way the universe can come into existence is by a god), you must remember that god was always meant to be the perfect explanation for everything. God was designed PERFECTLY to answer all of our questions, by curious but delusional bronze aged men. Before life used to be solid evidence for a designer.

When we didn't understand disease, we thought it was punishment from god, in fact it says right there in the bible. Do people still believe disease is punishment from god, or microbial bacteria and viruses? Bacteria and viruses are normally believed (unless they live in a very uneducated area). Just because it makes sense or is philosophically sound that a god made the universe, it doesn't make it true. God has a poor track record of being totally incorrect.

2) It doesn't prove your specific god.

Even if you somehow get to the conclusion 'god exists', which you cannot get to, it doesn't prove a god of a specific religion. This is the single biggest reason why if you follow a specific religion, you should totally abandon this argument.

I could replace the cause of 'god' to a 'seahorse lama blender', and I would be perfectly justified in my view that a seahorse lama blender brought the universe into existence. In the bible's case, a jealous, vengeful god that hates men putting their penises in cattle, and will send you to a fiery pit with a horned guy in a red spandex suit, to be jabbed with a pitchfork in eternal agony for not believing in him (even with lack of evidence, but remember, he loves you!), is just as arbitrary as a green spaceman plumber in a dildo as a spaceship creating the universe with his ship's magic dildo unicorn powers. Proposing a god is simply defining it into existence, just as I can define an orange watermelon elf jet plane into existence with my words. These sorts of claims are unfalsifiable, and serve no practical purpose, let alone providing future predictions: Arguing for a god 'causing' the universe is sort of like arguing gravity is caused by invisible unicorns standing on everyone's head.

Watch, as I do irrefutable logic, proving a green spaceman plumber in a dildo as a spaceship created the universe:

4) That cause is a green spaceman plumber in a dildo as a spaceship.

3) There are many reasons to deny most of the premises.

This seems like a reasonable premise, but it's really not. Sure, objects turn into other objects require causes, but do objects very existence therefore require a cause? I have no clue, and neither do religious people. We seek causes for things, which is why many people believe in god, but when you're comparing universes coming into existence to a person sculpting marble, there is a clear distinction, and I really hope I don't have to point them out, for the sake of your own intellectual capacity. I don't claim a universe can come into existence uncaused, but what I am entailing is caution in complex areas like this.

Even if I did claim the universe came from absolute nothing, I see no huge problem, because when you're talking about it from a causality perspective, god is no more of a satisfying answer. Because god himself is uncaused. I'm just talking the more simple answer, and using occums razor by cutting out the god part.

There are many reasons to deny this premise. First of all, is the fact the universe may of not began to exist in the first place. And second of all, is alot like the first of all: It may of not 'began' in the way we recognize that is, in the first place. Sure, you may be able to prove a beginning, but it doesn't prove an ACTUAL beginning, as in it's coming into existence. A universe can have a beginning as well as not coming into existence. This is like the b-theory of time. On this, saying the universe 'came into existence' is like saying on this measuring stick, the stick came into existence in the first centimeter.

There is also the objection that the universe always existed, although some of those scientific models have some inconsistencies, as with any scientific field, there could be a discovery which mends it.

4) You must already accept certain concepts or ideas to even accept this argument.

In specific, you must accept the heavily criticized a theory of time, which defies much of Einsteins theory of relativity. The reason why you must accept the A theory of time, is that it views time as every present moment being 'real', and the past/future do not exist. There are very good reasons to not accept this. Thus if you do accept this, you must believe the universe came into existence at some point, since time is static.

5)There is even scientific evidence to deny a traditional 'cause' of the universe.

Quantum mechanics and virtual particles, enough said. These types of events are examples of things that are uncaused. They are only caused if you accept a deterministic version of quantum mechanics. I hear many apologists say "the quantum vacuum is not nothing!" sure, but according to quantum mechanics a false energy vacuum can appear for no particular reason, simply because the energy of a system under quantum mechanics cannot be zero from uncertainty effects. Physicists are right when they say "nothing is unstable".

6)You're pretending to know the answer to a question we don't know much about yet.

The question of "how did the universe come into existence?" is ultimately a scientific question, which we may never know. In the mean time I will pretend I do know from just doing a few logical deductions (which could be wrong), even if your reasoning is correct (it's not), it doesn't give good enough reasons to believe a god created the universe. And if your god will send me to eternal torture just on the fact of being intellectually honest, just goes to show what a horrible fictional character this god is. Devil
RE: The cosmological argument really needs to die already.
Oh, this old story. I didn't read all the post, but it is irritating when a theist will insist something can't come from nothing, but excuse their deity because he apparently has always been there. Yet space can't have just always been there.

I'd say there are plenty of arguments that should probably just die, but things like this are the only things theists have to go on. They can't convert people by just saying they have to have faith, and in more civilized places they can't just tie you to a pole and set you on fire for not being like them.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Xtians have to keep re-cycling this shit because it is all they have.
Ugh, yeah.... they never seem to want to let go of this one. Undecided

We don't know that for a fact. Even within the constraints of own physical universe, there's evidence that effects can occur before their cause.
...as we know it in its current state. We don't know for a fact that the "stuff" of the universe ever "began" to exist.
The real translation of part 3 is... "Therefore our god caused the universe, and we'll reject the possibility of any other cause."
Deja vu. It's almost like we had this thread already. . .

http://atheistforums.org/search.php?acti...order=desc

Or that there were already literally hundreds of posts mentioning it. . .

http://atheistforums.org/search.php?acti...order=desc

Maybe you should have contributed to one of those threads, where this response to Kalam would actually have been responsding to something? Tongue
The cosmological argument only serves to convince the already convinced.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
The modus ponens form of this argument is invalid.

The argument, in any version, is guilty of the fallacy of equivocation, among others.

In premise 1. the phrase 'begins to exist' is referring to creation ex materia. In other words, the rearrangement of already existing matter and energy.

Then, in premise 2, 'began to exist' is referring to creation ex nihilo.

Same phrase, 2 meanings = Fallacy.

If you rephrase the argument using the 2 meanings, you get -

1. Everything that is a rearrangement of existing matter/energy has a cause.
2. The universe is a rearrangement of existing matter/energy.
3. Therefore the universe has a cause.

As you can see, premise 2 in this argument does not say what theists want it to say.

If we use the other meaning -

1. Everything that is created out of nothing has a cause.
2. The universe was created out of nothing.
3. The universe has a cause.

Now we see that premise 1 is suspect because we have no examples of things that were created out of nothing to examine.

There is also the fallacy of composition. Just because something is true of a part of the whole, does not mean it is true of the whole.

It is a very weak argument that seems to be convincing to theists.

EDIT: I found another rephrasing of the argument that also shows the equivocation fallacy, on Ironchariots.com -

1. Every rearrangement of pre-existing matter has a cause. (supported by every observation, ever.)

2. The universe began to exist from absolute nonexistence, NOT from a rearrangement of pre-existing matter.

In other words:

1. Every X has a cause.

2. The universe Y.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I say let them use it. It just shows how bad the argument for god truly is.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Ok.... god made the universe... what made god??
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

William Craig really likes to put this shit over and over. It was debunked 1000 times yet he keeps on doing it. But oh well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Cosmological Proof LinuxGal 53 3475 September 24, 2023 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Proving What We Already "Know" bennyboy 171 16530 July 30, 2022 at 1:40 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Shouldn't the right to die be a human right? ErGingerbreadMandude 174 18723 February 4, 2017 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  How do you punish people that want to die? ReptilianPeon 16 4002 July 5, 2015 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Leibnizian Cosmological Argument MindForgedManacle 7 2579 September 18, 2013 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Questions on the Kalam Cosmological argument MindForgedManacle 10 2678 July 26, 2013 at 9:37 am
Last Post: little_monkey
  Something that can strengthen the cosmological argument? Mystic 1 1459 April 8, 2013 at 6:23 am
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  Right to die Welsh cake 49 16484 July 26, 2012 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  Simple existence - Cosmological argument leading to God Mystic 5 3748 June 14, 2012 at 4:26 am
Last Post: genkaus
Lightbulb Help me I'm watching myself die in time/my life is going by as I blink my eyes. constantgamer247 45 14285 May 13, 2012 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance