Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 12:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you punish people that want to die?
Whenever there is a particularly heinous crime people call for the death of the perpetrator. It is the case that in some cases, that person does that act because they believe they will be rewarded in heaven. I don't want to associate this post with any particular religion(s) by the way, though I think that may be inevitable.

Now look, in Jannah you get whatever you want, including a Haram things. And yet, simply being gullible enough to believe isn't enough apparently and you get these people who say you conduct certain actions to increase your reward in paradise. Contradiction - much?

I was just watching a documentary about the destruction of historic sites in Iraq and Syria. I was on the verge of tears. And it's clear these people want to die. So I thought, if the suicide vest of a combatant fails and they get captured, what do we do to them? They don't deserve to live but equally they don't deserve to die - because that's what they want, and we don't want to give them what they want. Keeping them alive in a prison is obviously expensive, and they're bound to die eventually.

Clearly my post will be clouded by strong emotions given what I have just seen. I can think of many ways these people could be punished, though I'm not sure I want to sink to their level. I was thinking a good punishment would be to chain them up and force them to listen whilst someone reads out all the scientific errors in their religious text(s) and points out anything else wrong too. And you keep doing this until they get the message. That way, they might start to feel bad.

When I save Daesh parading people in cages it reminded me of the story of the ninth Guru of the Sikh religion, Guru Tegh Bahadur, who was also paraded whilst in a cage, during Mugal times in India. Interesting side note: To me, a Dastaar has the complete opposite effect of a balaclava or a Niqāb, because Sikhs have always been on the side of the oppressed and have never been the oppressors...

RE: How do you punish people that want to die?
If it's death penalty we're talking about, it'll be an emphatic NO from me.

I don't know. Life in prison? For attempted mass murder? Or something along those lines
If someone wants to die, and you feel the need to punish them, there's a simple answer:  Keep them alive.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 30, 2015 at 5:42 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If someone wants to die, and you feel the need to punish them, there's a simple answer:  Keep them alive.

Boru

That's what I was thinking, but that answer won't satisfy the all of the families of all the victims, I'm sure. If it were me, I'd probably be satisfied if they were forced to continuously listen to recordings of talks by Richard Dawkins or some apostate talking about all the faults in the Quran. It's a strange answer I know, but I cannot think of something worse for someone like "Jihadi John", short of actually stooping to the level and inflicting physical harm on them.

If the punishment is to be death then apparently Deash is really scared of Kurdish ladies with guns. Maybe there's something in that? A woman firing an AK-47 at them would, perhaps, be a very ironic punishment considering how they view women.

Coat them with bacon grease, pour a bottle of tequila down their throats and send them to allah.

Make sure you film it so the rest of the fuckers can see what's in store.
(June 30, 2015 at 5:52 pm)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote: [quote pid='978481' dateline='1435700577']
That's what I was thinking, but that answer won't satisfy the all of the families of all the victims, I'm sure. If it were me, I'd probably be satisfied if they were forced to continuously listen to recordings of talks by Richard Dawkins or some apostate talking about all the faults in the Quran. It's a strange answer I know, but I cannot think of something worse for someone like "Jihadi John", short of actually stooping to the level and inflicting physical harm on them.

If the punishment is to be death then apparently Deash is really scared of Kurdish ladies with guns. Maybe there's something in that? A woman firing an AK-47 at them would, perhaps, be a very ironic punishment considering how they view women.

[/quote]

If you want to 'satisfy' the victims' families, you've moved out of the realm of punishment and into revenge.  This is why those of us in the soi disant civilized world don't leave justice to the mob.

*shrug* As for the rest of your post, there's a pretty well-worn saying that seems to fit right here:  'If we follow the path of an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, very soon the whole world will be blind and toothless.'  This was said by a man who knew a little something about injustice.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I think we should remove their eyes, eardrums and tongue and then send them on their way.
(June 30, 2015 at 5:33 pm)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote: Whenever there is a particularly heinous crime people call for the death of the perpetrator. It is the case that in some cases, that person does that act because they believe they will be rewarded in heaven. I don't want to associate this post with any particular religion(s) by the way, though I think that may be inevitable.

Now look, in Jannah you get whatever you want, including a Haram things. And yet, simply being gullible enough to believe isn't enough apparently and you get these people who say you conduct certain actions to increase your reward in paradise. Contradiction - much?

I was just watching a documentary about the destruction of historic sites in Iraq and Syria. I was on the verge of tears. And it's clear these people want to die. So I thought, if the suicide vest of a combatant fails and they get captured, what do we do to them? They don't deserve to live but equally they don't deserve to die - because that's what they want, and we don't want to give them what they want. Keeping them alive in a prison is obviously expensive, and they're bound to die eventually.

Clearly my post will be clouded by strong emotions given what I have just seen. I can think of many ways these people could be punished, though I'm not sure I want to sink to their level. I was thinking a good punishment would be to chain them up and force them to listen whilst someone reads out all the scientific errors in their religious text(s) and points out anything else wrong too. And you keep doing this until they get the message. That way, they might start to feel bad.

When I save Daesh parading people in cages it reminded me of the story of the ninth Guru of the Sikh religion, Guru Tegh Bahadur, who was also paraded whilst in a cage, during Mugal times in India. Interesting side note: To me, a Dastaar has the complete opposite effect of a balaclava or a  Niqāb, because Sikhs have always been on the side of the oppressed and have never been the oppressors...

If you wanted to punish someone who wants to die you could force the person to stay alive and stay awake for as long as possible.  Get them to watch their own legs being broken slowly each day, and along with this hire a comical looking obese lesbian to fart on their face as much as possible each day then video tape it and put it on the internet, that will remove any romantic mental imagery of the person dying with dignity like martyrs often are portrayed to do.

The practical issues and moral issues with a punishment like this means it probably shouldn't happen, but I'm mainly pointing out that mental torture, physical torture, and comical humiliation are the best ways to punish someone who seemingly fears nothing.

As for Richard Dawkins reading out where the quran is wrong to a chained up radical Muslim, that part just made me laugh.  Richard Dawkins and other atheists debate Islamic people all day long on youtube.  Hamza Tsortis (I possibly spelt that name wrong) has been continually ridiculed and proven wrong and I'm willing to bet with near certainty that Hamza is still Muslim and the amount of Muslims who actually change their minds is fairly minimal.
I doubt they're just going to think "Oh bloody hell this white middleclass Englishman has tought me a lesson right good and proper, I've seen the errors of my ways and no mistake."

I don't know which option is right but here are the only options I can see.

Torture of some kind.
Release him and let him go free.
Kill him quick.
Take away his freedom while keeping him alive at the expense of government funds.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Why do you need to punish them?

If they want to die, give them what they want. I don't see the point of making them "pay" when you can just eliminate the problem.
Because you'll just encourage more of them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do we only do things we want to do? DodosAreDead 9 1108 November 19, 2018 at 12:41 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Would you punish yourself? Foxaèr 23 3026 February 26, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Shouldn't the right to die be a human right? ErGingerbreadMandude 174 18655 February 4, 2017 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheists, I want to know your explanation for these Out of body experiences? arda101 39 5918 January 29, 2017 at 2:57 am
Last Post: Magilla
  Do you ever wish you could just say "these people should be killed" DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 50 6938 November 27, 2015 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: DespondentFishdeathMasochismo
  I want your honest answer. Zidneya 27 4625 September 22, 2014 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The cosmological argument really needs to die already. Freedom of thought 16 4308 December 13, 2013 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  People Want You Thrown in Cages for Disagreement Koolay 3 1029 July 19, 2013 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Right to die Welsh cake 49 16482 July 26, 2012 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  What is the change you want to see in the world? Mystic 16 5111 June 10, 2012 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: Whateverist