Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Youtube Copyright Disaster! Angry Rant (beware F Bombs ahead)
Youtube Copyright Disaster! Angry Rant (beware F Bombs ahead)

I completely agree, YouTube is self destructing and I think it's for the best.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Youtube Copyright Disaster! Angry Rant (beware F Bombs ahead)
Gotta love Angry Joe!
Poor angry baby Joe. Steps are being taken to stop the theft of intellectual property and wubby doesn't wike it. Poor sad widdle wubby.

Cry me a fucking river.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
If your job, livelihood, and passion all at once was being torn apart and falling to ashes in front of you in the name of protecting something that isn't actually being protected by any law, you'd be pretty unhappy, too.

You basically just heard a man ranting about his job, his livelihood, his career, his passion, basically being ripped from his grasp. And you mocked him for it.

You're fucked up, man. You're really fucked up. I would never presume to tell someone whose career and passion have been fucked over by some other entity that isn't even addressing the ACTUAL issues of theft and piracy that they should "cry a fucking river." You're actually seeming to defend corporate interest over individual interest on this. What fucking IPs are being protected here, hm? What company is shutting down because they lost all their money from clips and recordings being posted on fucking review movies on youtube? Can't say as I know of any but sure as fuck all the reviewers and LPers and numerous others are going to have serious fucking problems because of this shit, now.

But hey. Intellectual property! Gotta protect that!

Fucking unbelievable, man. I cannot, cannot believe I just saw this side of you. Holy fuck.
(December 13, 2013 at 5:38 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Steps are being taken to stop the theft of intellectual property and wubby doesn't wike it.

Yeah because they're bad fucking steps. Hell saying they're bad steps is the understatement of the century.

Not only that, but youtube seems to be breaking the law with all this copyright bullshit.
I totally agree. If intellectual coypright is part of the normal use and video description of a life EXPERIENCE, I don't think it should fall to copyright trolls. For example, if I take a video of my cute little baby playing in the park, and someone there is playing Metallica in the background, Youtube would comply with a Metallica request to censor the material. That's fucktarded.
Yeah, and THEN THEY SEND METALLICA ALL THE MONEY FROM YOUR VIDEO.

It's so retarded it's unreal. For a 5 second clip of someone else's material in an hour long video, they immediately have the rights to all of the revenue generated by that video? That's gotta be illegal Thinking

In fact, it's not even Metallica or for the most part any of these other companies making these requests to censor material. It's a small community of large companies that have pressured youtube into using this bullshit blanket system.

One of the things that gets me, is why don't they implement some way of distributing an appropriate amount of revenue like in the instance of a 5 second clip in an one hour video. At least give a proportionate amount to these companies, not the whole lot. You can't say there isn't the technology either, as what happens when two companies have copyright claims on the same video? Or three for that matter? I bet the revenue gets distributed nicely between them doesn't it? So why is the video creator being left out of that?

The whole system is stupid.
I get flagged quite often for my music covers... it blows, but I don't do it to make money off of YouTube.
The reason is that Metallica will for sure sure Youtube if they think they can get money out of it, and any label or producer the same. But the average joe with a handheld isn't going to have the resources.

I smell a class-action suit coming soon. Some clever lawyer is going to get really famous, really fast, by challenging this and seeking damages on behalf of the actual people who did the work.
They can try to sue all they'd like, problem is that Fair Use would not support them and they'd just end up blowing all their money on court fees.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why won't YouTube let me upload this video? FlatAssembler 21 2169 April 19, 2022 at 8:17 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  What's happening with Youtube? (or The Great YouTube outage of 2018) Rev. Rye 6 329 October 16, 2018 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Beware of this SteelCurtain 4 922 June 5, 2016 at 1:39 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Youtube and gmail... Help! Cyberman 9 1601 October 3, 2015 at 7:15 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Beware Latest AMD Catalyst Driver AFTT47 13 5389 July 14, 2015 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: rado84
  IT support/employee rant thread bladevalant546 55 7047 September 18, 2014 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Dragonetti
  Firefox 23, embedded flash (youtube) and https pocaracas 4 2238 August 8, 2013 at 11:13 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  File sharing copyright material considered legal in Portugal pocaracas 1 1243 September 27, 2012 at 11:39 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Beware: torrent sites are being watched KichigaiNeko 7 3920 September 11, 2012 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Rant Darwinian 9 4137 April 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Jackalope