Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion separates
Religion separates
Anyway I've been browsing russian analogue of 4chan. The religious section.
I often see the sort of hidden hatred between the people.
Also people often mix their anger regarding other parts of their life with religion.

Example one.
The dude made a thread where he rants about how much he hates people and wants them all to burn. He clearly hates religious people and religion but is afraid of it in the same way. So he wants "god" to burn all those people.
The point of the whole post was that he hates humanity so much he wants apocalypse to come asap. However he does not link the "god" to the humanity he hates in the slightest. Hate mixed with fear. You just can't hate what you fear.

Example two.
A christian dude makes a topic where he says how "arrogant" the readers are and how he wishes to cut their stomach open with a knife and laugh.
But he will not do it because his god teaches him to pray for us instead of killing us. However he is happy that god will torture us in such a way that he will never be able to do personally. And wishes we will see a truth before we "run into a knife". Before we die that is.
He clearly had A LOT of hatred lol.

Example three.
The dude made topic about the "problem of evil" argument. So that god is either non existant. Or bad.
Then a christian posts a question "Are you not afraid of god topic maker?"
See he does not talk about the argument he comes up with position of authority directly.

Example four.
In a christian family there is a boy who reads a lot of books. Through education he discovers that religion is false. Stops believing. Tells his mother about it(father is deceased).
Mother is in shock and constantly trying to persuade him to believe in christianity because she thinks he is going to hell. But he tells her he can't because it doesn't exist. She cries real tears and tries to talk him into it. And they go through it everyday. He is 16 years old at the time.

I can go on and on with examples. So if religion is a lie all this hatred and tears are for nothing. Nothing.
But what I want to show is that religion often builds invisible wall between the people which is almost indestructible. They hate us and we hate them simply because of ideas. It could be not just hate but simply pity or disgust. Or avoidance.
I was in skype room with 4 believers recently.
I wanted to talk with them about how they come to their religion.
1 was angry 40 year old christian who seen me as a mocker and satan worshipper and basically disliked me and refused to tell me anything.
He also refused to argue with me because apparently his arguments would seem "stupid to me" and I should convince myself that christianity is true without his involvement.
However his both parents were atheists from soviet union and they died atheists. I asked him where they went and he does not believe they went to hell. He said they went to good place. I asked why and he said if they went somewhere it should be for their best. So basically he bends religion to suit his preferred worldview.
Another was catholic who said outright I will be tortured for all eternity and deserve it. Also refused to tell anything about himself.
Those 2 people clearly had some sort of hatred towards me. You could hear it in their voice tone. They despised me.
And third was a 30 year old woman. Creationist. Did not believe in evolution. Did not believe in hell either. She thinks that I either believe in jesus and go to heaven or I just die.
However you could tell she was a good person. She did not hate me and she wanted the best for me. I think if she was an atheist she would be just as good. Also she was not aggressive at all.

I left the room when the woman started talking about how uranium halflife is 5000 years. I wonder what those people would look like if they were atheists.

Also the last example from my own life.
I knew a dude for 3 years who had an epiphany at age of 13(apparently somebody converted him) and was hardcore believer since then. He is planning to be preacher in africa.
I argued with him for about 3 years and we just wasted time like that. But he was good person. Always helped other people. Was never aggressive.
However he believed I deserved to be tortured forever if I die as an atheist. But his view was that it was my fault. It's like I go towards a cliff and god cries and wants me to be saved by I choose to simply jump. He fails to see the argument of how it was god who created the cliff in the first place and sees every decision I will make. So the free will argument fail there as well. But he simply says it's justice.
And his best friend from childhood is an atheist. They are friends even today. But the christian thinks his friend is going to hell and think it's justice. He tried to convert his friend but apparently he sees he will not succeed because his friends is very unconvertable atheist so he just accepted the fact that his friend is going to be tortured forever and it's a good thing. However it worries him everyday and he hopes his friend will become christian before he dies.

So if religion is false then a lot of worry, anger, rage, hatred, fear and separation are happening for nothing. Religion separates.

Also I see that a lot of people can't be friends with each other or like each other because they have different ideas in em.
I guess Weinberg was right. Religion or not there will be bad people and good people. But for good people to do bad things that takes religion.
RE: Religion separates
AtheistForums should have a "pretend to be Russian" day. It would be fun.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Russians....they do everything full force whether its atheism or organized religion. There is no halfway with them.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
4chan is only good for pokemon theory fanfics
ALL PRAISE THE ONE TRUE GOD ZALGO

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10745 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4911 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19834 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49352 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5190 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused