Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there any honest computer tec sites?
Are there any honest computer tec sites?
To make a long story short my computer crashed, had to replace the power supply from an old tower, then reformat my hard drive and re install windows.

But now the only thing that does not work is my audio. I cant find a lagit site that I can find drivers for without subscribing to something or getting needless spywear crap on my pc.
RE: Are there any honest computer tec sites?
I'm fond of cnet.com
I usually go to the hardware manufacturer's site first. Unless your hardware is really ancient.
Look up the hardware id for the sound chip.it's in the device manager options for that device.
(December 17, 2013 at 6:45 pm)Brian37 Wrote: To make a long story short my computer crashed, had to replace the power supply from an old tower, then reformat my hard drive and re install windows.

But now the only thing that does not work is my audio. I cant find a lagit site that I can find drivers for without subscribing to something or getting needless spywear crap on my pc.

Have you tried getting the driver from the manufacturer's web site?
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Or take the side and find the motherboard model and post it here and ill see if I can scrape up the drivers. Once you find the model you should be able to find it on the manufacturers website.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
I had this happen on an old portable computer and never found a driver. In the end I bought a little USB device that had both mic in and speaker out. It worked perfectly and cost about $8.

Funnily enough I have it here now - the only thing written on it is "3D sound" and it was plug and play on XP.

I guess you could find something similar on Amazon.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Get the device ID and vendor ID from the properties of the device in the device manager, then use this site to find out the make and model of it. After that its a simple matter of searching the manufacturer's site.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ok computer techs, what say you? Brian37 82 6451 October 7, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 622 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  There's social distancing, and then there's SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!! Gawdzilla Sama 8 797 March 24, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Computer repair workshop customers I need your help purplepurpose 12 1121 March 18, 2019 at 9:33 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  are any of you honest enough to simply answer the question asked? Drich 120 10767 February 13, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Your ideal home office/computer pit. Gawdzilla Sama 4 743 August 25, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Too sexy for my computer Foxaèr 40 8098 May 13, 2018 at 2:54 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Is there any "atheist values" like "Christian values"? ErGingerbreadMandude 37 2875 January 7, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Are there any attractive knees? brewer 57 7485 December 2, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Can I Just Say and I'm just being honest (Holiday Edition) Mystical 9 2153 November 25, 2016 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Divinity