Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is a normal CPU range for total usage?
What is a normal CPU range for total usage?
I am figuring out that my new audio card is hogging my cpu. When audio is running my CPU is at about 55-80 bouncing around that range mostly in the high 60s to mid 70s. Is that ok to allow to run for long periods?

When I shut down a SVhost file in my task manager the CPU disconnects it until I reboot, but the CPU USAGE drops to under 10% total CPU usage.

Would adding memory sticks to it, because it has expansion slots for more memory, would that help reduce the work on the CPU?
RE: What is a normal CPU range for total usage?
(December 20, 2013 at 4:38 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I am figuring out that my new audio card is hogging my cpu. When audio is running my CPU is at about 55-80 bouncing around that range mostly in the high 60s to mid 70s. Is that ok to allow to run for long periods?

When I shut down a SVhost file in my task manager the CPU disconnects it until I reboot, but the CPU USAGE drops to under 10% total CPU usage.

Would adding memory sticks to it, because it has expansion slots for more memory, would that help reduce the work on the CPU?

We'd need to know more about your system to answer. Specifically, what apps are you running at the time? Typically? What hardware: cpu, memory, chipset, audio hardware, and operating system? And more specific figures on how much the sound system is contributing toward the load. Google "task manager replacements" for a selection of free task managers which can give more precise feedback. Two that I use are, 'process explorer' (Microsoft freebie), Iarsn's taskinfo (shareware with nag screen timeout after first 30 days).

If your sound card is causing a cpu usage jump of more than 15-20%, it's a problem. A fair system should only use up to 5% or so for the sound hardware overhead.

Svchost generally covers multiple services and you generally don't want to kill it, as it's a main windows process. You need to figure what specifically svchost (that instance) is running under it. There will be one svchost process which has all the basic networking services and inter-process communication running under it; that's often the one hogging cpu, and the proper approach to fixing it is to determine which sub-processes that it is running are using too much cpu and fix those, as well as disabling any unnecessary services running under that instance of svchost (generally best left to the experts). (Tools like tasklist [default with windows] are useful in this task, as well as the command line oriented service management tools. If you have a decent cpu, I wouldn't worry about 50-60% cpu load unless things seem unusually slow or lagging or freezing up intermittently.)

(ETA: I also need to know if there has been a major hardware change recently. I seem to recall you saying that you transplanted the windows from one hardware setup to another. Doing that generally requires massaging some kinks out of the base of windows. I could instruct you in that, but the most cost effective in terms of total time involved versus result is usually just to reinstall windows and software clean.)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Yeah, that's a software misalignment, and no, I ain't fixing it for ya. Angel
THE power supply but the pins fit. The Hard drive is the same one. PENTUM 4
I had to bypass the integrated sound on the mother board by installing a PCI card in the expansion slot. The new sound card seems to be the cpu hog.

But I did remove some programs seemed to stablize the numbers in the mid range. So if you are saying 50-60 is fine, I won't worry about it.
(December 20, 2013 at 6:09 pm)Brian37 Wrote: THE power supply but the pins fit. The Hard drive is the same one. PENTUM 4

"Pentium 4" covers a lot of ground. Changing the power supply shouldn't matter.
(December 20, 2013 at 6:12 pm)rasetsu Wrote:
(December 20, 2013 at 6:09 pm)Brian37 Wrote: THE power supply but the pins fit. The Hard drive is the same one. PENTUM 4

"Pentium 4" covers a lot of ground. Changing the power supply shouldn't matter.

Meaning what? I am ok or I am fucked?
(December 20, 2013 at 6:24 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(December 20, 2013 at 6:12 pm)rasetsu Wrote: "Pentium 4" covers a lot of ground. Changing the power supply shouldn't matter.

Meaning what? I am ok or I am fucked?

You're probably fine.

Um apparently this CPU usage for XP is widespread. I just did a google search and holy.
Ok this is some weird fucking shit. I did the best I could in trying to fix my CPU usage problem.

I dont know if this seemingly good luck will stick, but it seems somehow my problem has gone away. It isn't staying at 50% and only spikes in a search now. I don't know how but maybe I picked up some patch along the way. I next time I start my computer I'll know if this sticks.

However I do have another question. What is more important? Individual tasks in the manager or total CPU usage at the bottom? Although my system isn't spiking in total CPU usage, my Idle says 90 percent? But that is while I run stuff.

Spoke too soon. I did kill the svchost hog that kills my audio. but for some reason even with that suddenly it started working again and my total CPU usage was fine. But then after a reboot it went right back to the same old crap.
(December 25, 2013 at 8:39 am)Brian37 Wrote: However I do have another question. What is more important? Individual tasks in the manager or total CPU usage at the bottom? Although my system isn't spiking in total CPU usage, my Idle says 90 percent? But that is while I run stuff.

Neither is. What is important is whether it is satisfying your needs without too many defects of freezing, slowness, lagging, or restarting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPU/CPU Fan speed. Goosebump 5 734 February 27, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Does anyone know the bandwidth of the Switch and Wii U CPU's? Mechaghostman2 1 372 March 11, 2020 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Can an 32-bit OS run on multiple 64-bit CPU cores? FlatAssembler 19 2437 March 5, 2020 at 1:28 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  I'm Done with Total AV Lemon Curry 9 990 April 23, 2019 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Anyone Here Done Over-Clocking a CPU? AFTT47 22 3420 April 8, 2019 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Angrboda