Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can an 32-bit OS run on multiple 64-bit CPU cores?
Can an 32-bit OS run on multiple 64-bit CPU cores?
Hey, guys!

So, I've tried to implement a MergeSort algorithm in standard C++11 that will run on as many CPU cores simultaneously as it can. You can see the source code here. However, I've noticed that if I run that program on 32-bit Windows 10 on my laptop (I have 32-bit Windows 10 and 64-bit Oracle Linux), here is the 32-bit Windows executable, it always claims to be running in a single thread. On the other hand, if I run it on 64-bit Linux on that same computer, it usually claims to run in 15 threads. What do you think is going on here? The processor in my laptop is Intel Core i5, 8th Generation. I know that running a 32-bit OS prevents the modern processor from using some registers, but I fail to see how it can possibly prevent it from using multiple CPU cores. The OS, these days, usually detects other CPU cores using ACPI, and it obviously shouldn't matter if the OS is 64-bit or 32-bit. But, apparently, it somehow does.
RE: Can an 32-bit OS run on multiple 64-bit CPU cores?
(March 1, 2020 at 2:32 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: Hey, guys!

So, I've tried to implement a MergeSort algorithm in standard C++11 that will run on as many CPU cores simultaneously as it can. You can see the source code here. However, I've noticed that if I run that program on 32-bit Windows 10 on my laptop (I have 32-bit Windows 10 and 64-bit Oracle Linux), here is the 32-bit Windows executable, it always claims to be running in a single thread. On the other hand, if I run it on 64-bit Linux on that same computer, it usually claims to run in 15 threads. What do you think is going on here? The processor in my laptop is Intel Core i5, 8th Generation. I know that running a 32-bit OS prevents the modern processor from using some registers, but I fail to see how it can possibly prevent it from using multiple CPU cores. The OS, these days, usually detects other CPU cores using ACPI, and it obviously shouldn't matter if the OS is 64-bit or 32-bit. But, apparently, it somehow does.

Corporate competition.

McDonald's and Burger King both sell burgers, and sure, the meet and buns are interchangeable, but they don't like the competition.
"It appears to be in some kind of English." Steve Rogers
(March 1, 2020 at 2:46 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(March 1, 2020 at 2:32 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: Hey, guys!

Corporate competition.

McDonald's and Burger King both sell burgers, and sure, the meet and buns are interchangeable, but they don't like the competition.
Err... Are you sure you posted this in the right thread?
(March 3, 2020 at 6:29 am)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(March 1, 2020 at 2:46 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Corporate competition.

Err... Are you sure you posted this in the right thread?

Yes. Computer and software companies have patents and copyrights on their products and have licencing agreements with each other, so not all software or hardware are interchangable. Just like a restaurant won't let you bring food in from another joint and eat it out in the open. 

I am not saying it is impossible to make the changes you want, but if you can't then one reason may be because of what I said above.
(March 3, 2020 at 7:42 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(March 3, 2020 at 6:29 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: Err... Are you sure you posted this in the right thread?

Yes. Computer and software companies have patents and copyrights on their products and have licencing agreements with each other, so not all software or hardware are interchangable. Just like a restaurant won't let you bring food in from another joint and eat it out in the open. 

I am not saying it is impossible to make the changes you want, but if you can't then one reason may be because of what I said above.

My question was why does 32-bit Windows 10, if run on Intel Core i5 8th Generation, appear to run only on 1 core. If the processor was somehow modified to accept only certain OS-es, what I'd reasonably expect would be that it rejects free Linux, rather than proprietary Windows 10.
(March 3, 2020 at 12:25 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(March 3, 2020 at 7:42 am)Brian37 Wrote: Yes. Computer and software companies have patents and copyrights on their products and have licencing agreements with each other, so not all software or hardware are interchangable. Just like a restaurant won't let you bring food in from another joint and eat it out in the open. 

My question was why does 32-bit Windows 10, if run on Intel Core i5 8th Generation, appear to run only on 1 core. If the processor was somehow modified to accept only certain OS-es, what I'd reasonably expect would be that it rejects free Linux, rather than proprietary Windows 10.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...sor-groups

So Win32 can't do it.
(March 3, 2020 at 2:52 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote:
(March 3, 2020 at 12:25 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: My question was why does 32-bit Windows 10, if run on Intel Core i5 8th Generation, appear to run only on 1 core. If the processor was somehow modified to accept only certain OS-es, what I'd reasonably expect would be that it rejects free Linux, rather than proprietary Windows 10.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...sor-groups

So Win32 can't do it.

So, if I understand you correctly, using multiple CPUs is no longer done using BIOS?
(March 4, 2020 at 1:58 am)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(March 3, 2020 at 2:52 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...sor-groups

So Win32 can't do it.

So, if I understand you correctly, using multiple CPUs is no longer done using BIOS?
BIOS is only half the story. The OS must be written to do it also.
Just poking me head in to say I have no idea what you people are talking about, but I could do with a burger.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPU/CPU Fan speed. Goosebump 5 731 February 27, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Bit coin paulpablo 56 3982 May 27, 2021 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does anyone know the bandwidth of the Switch and Wii U CPU's? Mechaghostman2 1 369 March 11, 2020 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Anybody ever run Windows 10 on server hardware? popeyespappy 1 535 November 6, 2019 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  [Serious] Multiple Sclerosis Map: my latest web project WinterHold 22 2941 October 4, 2019 at 10:02 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Anyone Here Done Over-Clocking a CPU? AFTT47 22 3415 April 8, 2019 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Getting a Windows 98 game to run on modern windows vulcanlogician 23 2165 January 19, 2019 at 7:09 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Is anyone familliar with the Ferrite cores? rado84 12 1156 January 6, 2018 at 9:55 am
Last Post: rado84
  What is a normal CPU range for total usage? Brian37 9 1914 December 25, 2013 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: Angrboda