Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone Here Done Over-Clocking a CPU?
Anyone Here Done Over-Clocking a CPU?
I built my current computer back in 2011. It's a 2600K Sandy Bridge. I'm kind of amazed that this 7-year old build is still a good performer by today's standards. Moore's Law (the doubling of chip capacity every 18 months) is definitely dead.

Anyway, I'm now looking at a Coffee Lake 8700K build around the ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula Motherboard. I'm doing this because of my involvement with flight simulators. I use X-Plane 11. The biggest hurdle I'm running up against is memory capacity. I currently have 8GB. My MOBO can go up to 16GB in theory but my research has lead me to believe it won't in reality. Even if it could, I want more like 32GB for flight simulation.

I will definitely over-clock this build. It will be heavily water-cooled with two loops - one for the MOBO and CPU and a second for the GPU. They will share a common, over-sized reservoir.

I have done many computer builds but I haven't over-clocked before. I have a poor understanding of memory selection for such. I will want a memory speed of 3200 MHz because that is about the sweet spot for the most bang for the buck. I will not want to go much higher than 1.35 volts. Going higher frequency will give more performance but there will be diminishing returns. I would not consider going above 3600 MHz. Waste of money at this point.

My question (to anyone who can answer it) is can I overclock with any memory sticks rated at 3200 MHz @ 1.35V or lower and actually get that memory speed? I ask because the GSkill memory configuration website lists limited options with my chosen MOBO at 32GB. All of them are at the higher speed of 3600 MHz. But many reviewers have run the board with GSkill memory at 3200 MHz.

I would like to use 2 sticks at 16GB each so I have the option of upgrading to 64GB in the future. The high-end MOBO I have chosen should be able to handle it.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
RE: Anyone Here Done Over-Clocking a CPU?
Computer language is gibberish to me.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
ATF, that's a similar (motherboard) build to what I'm doing this year.

Get the best i7 you can get (the i9 reviews are quite shiite for bang for buck).
I've never NOT o'clocked as far as I remember (cpu and gpu) but in reality don't stress over things like this.
The difference in games is practically unnoticeable if you have a good video card.

Some surprising DDR4 ram shootouts on the net...check 'em out.

(On a side note, the single biggest difference I have found recently as far as gamerates are concerned is to use my 1080 with the Gsync monitor!)
It seems like it adds 10 fps!

don't stress over the little things man, you'll lose your hair! lol.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(April 29, 2018 at 7:23 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: Computer language is gibberish to me.

But you chose to respond to a post in the Technology & Computing forum. What was the point of that? Why are you even browsing this forum if computer language is gibberage to you?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(April 29, 2018 at 7:37 pm)AFTT47 Wrote:
(April 29, 2018 at 7:23 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: Computer language is gibberish to me.

But you chose to respond to a post in the Technology & Computing forum. What was the point of that? Why are you even browsing this forum if computer language is gibberage to you?

Because I wanted to. Are you the forum police now?
~ Erin Hunter
(April 29, 2018 at 7:37 pm)ignoramus Wrote: don't stress over the little things man, you'll lose your hair! lol.

That's not good at all because I have little left to lose!

X-Plane (like most flight sims) seems to be much more CPU-limited than GPU-limited. Unfortunately, X-Plane still uses a single core for the heavy lifting which is why I'm not looking at AMDs offerings.

It sounds like you are saying that memory choice is not a big deal as long as it is rated to run at the speed and voltage I want. Is that correct?

(April 29, 2018 at 7:39 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:
(April 29, 2018 at 7:37 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: But you chose to respond to a post in the Technology & Computing forum. What was the point of that? Why are you even browsing this forum if computer language is gibberage to you?

Because I wanted to.  Are you the forum police now?

Nope; I am a user of this forum. I have no power to dictate how other users should post. I would suggest though that you not post as a troll because what is to be gained by that? You have made good contributions to this forum and gained standing here for that. Why ruin that by going on a streak of posting complete nonsense as you seem to have chosen to do recently? Why post as a fool when you have demonstrated the ability to post as someone we respect?

Albert Einstein
It is interesting what you consider trolling. Tomato tomato, and all that jazz.
~ Erin Hunter
Piss off Kit. The adults are talking!

Big Grin

ATF, get some good brand ram with good oclocking timings and leave it at that...
Since my wall pc has lots of lights, I did have my heart set on these https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Memo...17D-32GTZR

I've since been reading that the addition of the rbg may have detrimental effects ... (heat dissipation is not ideal).
But since the Gigabyte Gamer 7 board is full of lighting options, I think I'll just get non rgb led ram.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(April 29, 2018 at 8:04 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: It is interesting what you consider trolling.  Tomato tomato, and all that jazz.

Well, when you respond to a post you have no understanding of - just for the sake of responding - you are not contributing to the discussion - in fact you are impeding it. You are just posting for the sake of posting. I can't stop you from doing that but if this were my forum, I'd boot your immature ass off and refer you to Facebook. I have no patience for immature idiots which you obviously are. You're obviously very young.

I wish no ill of you. I hope you grow and improve yourself and I'm confident you will do that. But don't bother me until you do.

(April 29, 2018 at 8:10 pm)ignoramus Wrote: ATF, get some good brand ram with good oclocking timings and leave it at that...
Since my wall pc has lots of lights, I did have my heart set on these https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Memo...17D-32GTZR

I've since been reading that the addition of the rbg may have detrimental effects ... (heat dissipation is not ideal).
But since the Gigabyte Gamer 7 board is full of lighting options, I think I'll just get non rgb led ram.

Thanks!

I'm not too concerned about the RGB bling but it's attractive. I just want my RAM to work at the speed it's advertised as capable of achieving. Nothing more than that.

Albert Einstein
From what I was reading last night, as long as the motherboard is designed well for overclocking and not just an add on or an afterthought, then that's 80% of your oclock stability battles. Asus or Gigabyte is the way to go. I like gigabyte boards. They have never failed me.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Anyone here use ECU Test? Jehanne 2 519 September 1, 2022 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  CPU/CPU Fan speed. Goosebump 5 734 February 27, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Does anyone know the bandwidth of the Switch and Wii U CPU's? Mechaghostman2 1 372 March 11, 2020 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Can an 32-bit OS run on multiple 64-bit CPU cores? FlatAssembler 19 2436 March 5, 2020 at 1:28 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  I'm Done with Total AV Lemon Curry 9 990 April 23, 2019 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What is a normal CPU range for total usage? Brian37 9 1921 December 25, 2013 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Does anyone here participate in BOINC? astalegorlas 6 3108 February 28, 2011 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist