Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Introduction
Introduction
My name is Michael and I just joined this site/forum. I was searching for a way to connect with others who share my Atheist views and have some discussions about it. I feel very strong about my beliefs but it appears most of friends do not so it makes for an uncomfortable topic for me to participate in when religion comes up. I'm not so popular when I speak. I feel like an evil outsider when I express my views. I mean, what do I say when someone says "I will pray for you" or "God bless you", etc.....Prayer is ridiculous and having most of my friends, who for the most part are normal and intelligent in all other aspect of their lives, worship an imaginary friend makes me think they are nuts. It’s very hard being an Atheist and it appears in my social circle I stand alone. It seems it would be easier to be a “believer” but every time I hear a ridiculous quote from the bible (a disturbing collection of fairy tales) it reminds me that I am happy where I am, in reality.
"Religions do make claims about the universe--the same kinds of claims that scientists make, except they're usually false."

Richard Dawkins
RE: Introduction
Welcome, 1129banks Smile

I hope you will find plenty of discussion here Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
AF is a wealth of information! Enjoy your stay!
Spinoza Wrote:God is the Asylum of Ignorance
Welcome to my world. I'm an atheist in a Christian saturated community. I think everyone has gone insane.
binnyCoffee
(November 18, 2009 at 1:51 pm)binny Wrote: Welcome to my world. I'm an atheist in a Christian saturated community. I think everyone has gone insane.

You be right, mon! Panic
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Where is this hell you speak of Michael?!?

..and welcome Wink
I spoke of hell?
"Religions do make claims about the universe--the same kinds of claims that scientists make, except they're usually false."

Richard Dawkins
I'm also brand new to the forum. From one newbie to another, welcome.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
Well, I want to thank everyone for responding and welcoming me. It certainly feels good to have a place to go where you feel accepted and listened to without feeling like an outcast. It seems only the last few years of my life (I'll be 45 in a couple weeks), especially the past 2 years or so that I so strongly believe that Religion not only does not have any place in modern society but that it is dangerous. For fear of sounding like an extremist (and it doesn't take much as an Atheist to sound extreme, just admitting it seems to do it! LOL!) and alienating my mostly Christian friends I usually say nothing but I feel compelled to vent here because I don't feel I will offend anyone. I don't wish to offend anyone in life, ever.
........Sometimes I feel like I’m the only sane person among my seemingly normal friends. It is so disturbing to be surrounded by people who believe in something that simply does not exist and the constant references to it..."God willing", "god bless you", "I’ll pray for this and that", etc.....it just seems to saturate my environment and it makes no sense to me. Even when I drive by a church on Sunday and see gaggles of people streaming in or out I actually look at them in my mind like they are insane....I mean, they are gathering to pray, worship, give money to, etc....something or someone who does not exist. It's frightening when you really think about it but the very few times I have ever been in an exchange with anyone over it (and it's only when they pursue it first, I'm not that stupid anymore to bring it up first!) they seem so completely closed minded over ANY discussion about it. When I hear the word "faith" I know I have truly lost any chance of the conversation being discussed intelligently. How can you combat that word when it gets thrown in?

Hey, as a person, a good person and a good father (in my opinion!) I not only try to be tolerant of others beliefs, I AM tolerant of them but I need to get something off my chest, something I have not and cannot express to any of my friends. I think people who believe in something or someone that there is not a shred of real evidence for and people who don’t understand that the bible (or any other holy book) was simply written by fellow human beings (not by an all knowing god or on his behalf), some of whom were violent maniacs and then actually use this information and delusion as a moral compass from which to live their life by are complete and total mindless idiots. This includes most people I know and care about. I know that sounds horrible and I don’t feel like I'm better than them I am just AMAZED at how many people believe in something because they were told it was true, not for any other reason. It's scary.

It's safe to say I won't be called upon to say the prayer for thanksgiving dinner next week, My "Rub-a-Dub-Dub, thanks for the grub" prayer a couple years ago didn't go over so well with the family and still has my "Born Again" sister and her drunkard husband thinking I just might be Satan himself. LOL! I may have over did it with thanking the almighty Bill Gates for bringing the Xbox 360 into my life and dissin' God/Jesus by not mentioning him but that drew a chuckle from my son and his goofy friend. I took advantage of my little scrap of power, hey it was my house. LOL! My sister did get her prayer in and even asked Jesus to forgive me for my ignorance so I think I'll be ok. : )

Richard Dawkins
Are you that same Michael that found a nickel? Found a nickel all shiney and new?

Brought you a whole lot of candy? Is that what you were gonna do?

----------------------------------------------------

Anyone care to date themselves and admit they remember that one?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introduction Veni 5 734 July 3, 2022 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Introduction Data 9 974 June 19, 2022 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  A (re)-introduction bennyboy 10 1955 June 11, 2022 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Introduction Disagreeable 15 1421 January 25, 2022 at 2:37 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  atheists - edit to add Introduction ergo 60 4009 November 28, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Here is My Introduction AtheistQuest 23 2271 August 25, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The End8888 Introduction UniverseCaptain 29 2006 August 12, 2021 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A little introduction satansprostate 16 1164 June 24, 2021 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
Smile New User Introduction Militant_Atheist 14 979 September 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  introduction Xaventis 29 2902 August 9, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2