Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction
Introduction
About Me

I've lived in the midwestern United States all of my life. My folks were poor growing up but later, just prior to my birth, both had good paying jobs. Consequently they raised me like we were poor but we weren't. My dad and his family were all atheist thinking, but wouldn't have identified as a part of any movement or group; my mom was from a religious family but she herself became irreligious due to the hypocrisy she saw being dragged around from congregation to congregation. Since both parents worked full time I was raised by my maternal grandmother, who was religious in the traditional sense. Uninformed, hypocritical, half crazy church going Christian. Really she was no different than the rest of us except she went to church every Sunday. 

By the time I was probably 5 or 6 I had concluded that religion was nonsense, but I had also concluded that religious behavior - hypocritical, xenophobic, ideological attachment and fixation - were also common in pretty much every human activity. Especially the sociopolitical. My dad, for example, though atheist, behaved more religiously with the aforementioned obvious flaws than my grandmother who was a churchgoer. I got a paper route when I was 9 years old and worked until recently when I had several heart attacks, including one massive heart attack culminating in a quadruple bypass. I'm now in my mid 50s. 

Why I'm Here

I don't know to what extent I will participate. I've been reading today and like doing that. I guess we'll see. If I do participate the primary reason for doing so will be to understand not so much what people believe or don't believe, because that doesn't really effect me. I'm apolitical and irreligious. My interest is in why people believe what they believe and where that comes from. I'm not sure how that will play out. I usually like to ask people questions. To question everything from a position of neutrality; neither here nor there except for to observe. Everything I think comes from somewhere else. Everything I say is my opinion. Sources I give are someone else's opinion which I may or may not agree with. The trouble is they tend not to see critical thinking as an exploration of what people believe - what and how they think - but as disagreement. A challenge to a worldview. And that can be problematic. 

I've been online since the mid 1990s but haven't ever had time to get too involved. I did, however, really like the wide variety of available information on virtually any subject. Of being my own filter rather than having what little information readily available spoon-fed to me through the traditional mediums prior to that time. The Internet opened doors of exploration for me which I enjoy perusing. Especially most recently, since the "pandemic" I have more time on my hands and about that time (2021) began working on my own website to sort of chronicle things of interest to me. As much as I enjoy that, it can be tedious and lonesome so I went looking for discussion.      

Position On Religion

I've labeled myself as atheist but I'm not sure if that is entirely accurate and complete. I'm irreligious, agnostic and atheist I suppose, but don't like being labeled as a part of any group. Prior to getting online I had very little if any interest in religion. I was mostly interested in music, reading and sports as hobbies. I've always been fascinated by what people think and how the way they behave compares to what they think and allegedly believe. Since getting online that has taken me down some interesting corridors, metaphorically speaking. Recently those sorts of corridors seem, if not completely closed off then certainly less explored. Which, of course, makes them all the more compelling to me. I will probably have to censor myself in that regard. 

How I Expect To Be Treated  

I appreciate honesty. Critical examinations of my opinions are welcome. I'm thick skinned. Mostly I'm about fairness. I think all voices should be allowed. My beliefs don't negate the beliefs of any one else, though they may differ dramatically. 

I appreciate the opportunity to hang out and maybe have some discussions.  My grammar sucks and I'm new at this be patient if you would. I've read the rules and intend to follow them so I hope you'll let me know should I fall out of line. 

Thanks.
RE: Introduction
Welcome aboard.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Glad to have you with us, I hope you like it here, Dragonset.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission, and rip the tags off of your mattress. Booze to your left, hookers to your right, and theists in the basement.  Cool Shades
Great introduction! Welcome!!

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
aloha
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Hello. Smile
(June 18, 2022 at 2:03 pm)Nay_Sayer Wrote: aloha

Mahalo. Aloha.
(June 18, 2022 at 7:31 pm)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: Hello. Smile

Hi!  Sup
Welcome from Middle Earth.  Great
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introduction Veni 5 734 July 3, 2022 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  A (re)-introduction bennyboy 10 1955 June 11, 2022 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Introduction Disagreeable 15 1417 January 25, 2022 at 2:37 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  atheists - edit to add Introduction ergo 60 3993 November 28, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Here is My Introduction AtheistQuest 23 2270 August 25, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The End8888 Introduction UniverseCaptain 29 2006 August 12, 2021 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A little introduction satansprostate 16 1164 June 24, 2021 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
Smile New User Introduction Militant_Atheist 14 978 September 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  introduction Xaventis 29 2902 August 9, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
Star The Caen Leranzo Introduction CaenLeranzo 18 1217 March 4, 2020 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: CaenLeranzo