Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereotyping Christians
Stereotyping Christians
This is not directed only to atheists, but also to Deists, Jews, Agnostics, Wiccans, etc.

I feel it is unfair for people to steretype all Christians as being like Fred Phelps, Jimmy Bakker, Ted Haggard, Catholic priests molesting children. Have you noticed that bad news always gets the attention? How often do you hear of the MILLIONS of Christians who don't behave this way? Stereotyping like this is equivelant to lumping all atheists in with Michael Newdow, Madalyn Murray O'Hair, or Joseph Stalin, which would also be wrong.
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

RE: Stereotyping Christians
You mean HUNDREDS of millions, right? Smile I agree that it is silly to stereotype all Christians as being anything more than Christians... just as I would say about about any group.

But most Christians do in fact hold similar beliefs (anti-homosexual, anti-abortion, etc.) because of their religion.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(November 18, 2009 at 3:39 pm)Saerules Wrote: You mean HUNDREDS of millions, right? Smile I agree that it is silly to stereotype all Christians as being anything more than Christians... just as I would say about about any group.

But most Christians do in fact hold similar beliefs (anti-homosexual, anti-abortion, etc.) because of their religion.
Yes, we are against homosexuality and abortion, but not the person. I am disgusted with the way Fred Phelps carries signs saying "God Hates Fags", and with abortion clinic bombers. The vast MAJORITY of Christians do not condone this behavior.
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

I understand that... but it should be noted that they share the same ideals... but to a less extremist extent :S
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I stereotype Theists into three groups:

Idiotheists
Smartheists
Increditheists

Those people you named aren't Theists at all, probably. They were probably looking for a way to get to the children. But if they were/are Theists, then they shall be idiotheists.
I don't stereotype ALL Christians into one group whole; just into 3 groups that define them well. ;3
╔═╪══╬═╦╦═╬══╪═╗
║♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ McGodless! ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ║
Bah-bah-bah-bah-bahhh~!
║♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ I'm lovin' it! ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪║
╚═╪══╬═╩╩═╬══╪═╝

"And God said, drunk, 'Let there be Tails Turrosaki,' and there was Tails."
Quote:"God Hates Fags"
That is one little contradiction I see more than any other. "God hates fags" and yet god is supposedly all loving? He is either one or the other. He can't be all loving and be hateful at the same time. It's contradictory.

With that aside, I have no problem with any theist or their beliefs. Just as longs they don't go around shoving it down people's throats or threaterning hell or calling people immoral based on pure belief or using violence on others to get their point across. If they can avoid being a total arse then I can quite easily live with them in peace. Don't mind people's beliefs, just as long as they are unharmful and not bothering anyone.

Also, people do good and bad regardless of what belief or not. It's called being human.Big Grin
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
I just thought I would point this out because Christians are unfairly labelled hypocrites as a group..
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

You hate homosexuality, you hate the person. Sorry, but saying "we hate the sin, but love the person" just comes across as you trying to get out of a corner created by you having horrible beliefs in the first place.

If there is one thing worse than Fred Phelps and his gang, it is Christians who lie and deceive by trying to appear friendly, only to hide their true intentions (in this case sexual "correction" therapy).

Don't hate homosexuality, don't hate abortion. If you don't want gay marriage...don't get one! If you don't want an abortion...don't get one! But just because you don't want one, that doesn't mean you have any right deciding on whether other people should or not. Equality is for all, and it extends to marriage and whether women want to have a baby or not.
(November 18, 2009 at 4:05 pm)Ace Wrote:
Quote:"God Hates Fags"
That is one little contradiction I see more than any other. "God hates fags" and yet god is supposedly all loving? He is either one or the other. He can't be all loving and be hateful at the same time. It's contradictory.

With that aside, I have no problem with any theist or their beliefs. Just as longs they don't go around shoving it down people's throats or threaterning hell or calling people immoral based on pure belief or using violence on others to get their point across. If they can avoid being a total arse then I can quite easily live with them in peace. Don't mind people's beliefs, just as long as they are unharmful and not bothering anyone.

Also, people do good and bad regardless of what belief or not. It's called being human.Big Grin
God loves everyone, but not the sin, that is why Phelps's sign is false and hateful.
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

(November 18, 2009 at 4:15 pm)Gilligan Wrote: God loves everyone, but not the sin, that is why Phelps's sign is false.

Ah the "hate the sin, love the sinner" thing.
If that were true, then how comes I here often that generally good moral people who don't believe in gods existence end up in hell? Seems a tad harsh for an all loving god.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7778 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31177 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51117 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Stereotyping and morality Dontsaygoodnight 34 8143 March 20, 2015 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 15784 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  Now Christians piss of Christians. leo-rcc 10 9936 December 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris