Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereotyping and morality
Stereotyping and morality
So, I have listened to many agnostics and atheists. Many are angry and for various reasons. One of the reasons that they are angry is because of stereotyping. A recent observation, is that stereotyping isn't as highlighted in social discourse in the mainstream media as much as it seemed to be when i was in my teens during the 80's. Racism is still a major focus in the media but more general stereotyping does not seem to be an educational focus and I think it should be. One stereotype that really makes a very close friend of mine, who is agnostic, very angry is the assertion that atheists have no real morality without biblical law. Or it is just made up upon personal preference. Stereotyping is a human error and frailty that is widespread.

Here is what Saint Paul wrote a long time ago.

Romans 2:14
For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

So, here, a chief apostle in the bible, asserted that "the Law" was not necessary to have the things of the law "written in the heart." In the age of the internet and mass media so many Christians have taken it upon themselves to represent and teach the Gospel but many are not qualified to do so. Instead many are repeating ill-founded arguments that are directly refuted within the bible as if they were Gospel truth, because they have zeal for God but poor Christian education. But modern atheists in developed nations have not only "Law", but also real hearts and minds that have the capacity to develop sound moral code even if "the Law" were absent in society, such as it may be in some under developed regions of the world.
RE: Stereotyping and morality
Idunno man i dont really see this as a problem, maybe you just run into alot of angry people.

Also ~Good Night
~ Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give a man a religion and he'll die praying for a fish.
Paul isn't a saint he is self appointed. And no i am not a angry atheist i just seen past the bullshit at a young age. Nothing is written in the heart its just a muscle that pumps blood
pretty sure if words were written on it then the bible could be plausible but there isn't. Also Paul isn't a chief apostle of anything but running his mouth. Consider this all of the Apostles
never knew jesus even Paul. What's worse in Paul's case he didn't know if Jesus was human or not.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
[Image: whats-your-point.jpg]
Are you trying to say that the bible states that nonChristians can be good?
(March 16, 2015 at 8:38 pm)Nope Wrote: Are you trying to say that the bible states that nonChristians can be good?

Yes, I read the text that way.
Quote:Here is what Saint Paul wrote a long time ago.

He's as imaginary as your silly jesus.
(March 16, 2015 at 8:07 pm)Dontsaygoodnight Wrote: So, I have listened to many agnostics and atheists.1. Many are angry and for various reasons. One of the reasons that they are angry is because of stereotyping. A recent observation, is that stereotyping isn't as highlighted in social discourse in the mainstream media as much as it seemed to be when i was in my teens during the 80's. Racism is still a major focus in the media but more general stereotyping does not seem to be an educational focus and I think it should be. One stereotype that really makes a very close friend of mine, who is agnostic, very angry is the assertion that atheists have no real morality without biblical law. Or it is just made up upon personal preference. Stereotyping is a human error and frailty that is widespread.

2. Romans 2:14
For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

So, here, a chief apostle in the bible, asserted that "the Law" was not necessary to have the things of the law "written in the heart."3. In the age of the internet and mass media so many Christians have taken it upon themselves to represent and teach the Gospel but many are not qualified to do so. Instead many are repeating ill-founded arguments that are directly refuted within the bible as if they were Gospel truth, because they have zeal for God but poor Christian education. 4. But modern atheists in developed nations have not only "Law", but also real hearts and minds that have the capacity to develop sound moral code even if "the Law" were absent in society, such as it may be in some under developed regions of the world.

1. I am angry at the violence, repression, and completed devestation your imaginary friend has caused the world.
2. Leviticus Chapter 11 7-8
And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he [is] unclean to you.
Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they [are] unclean to you.
I can post irrevelent verses too.
3. 100% agree. Most christians aren't qualified to intrepret the bible. Doesn't stop them from using, misquoting, and completely justifying their basic human desires with it.
4. Can you clarify? Are you saying atheists are moral...because of god?
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
(March 16, 2015 at 8:46 pm)Spooky Wrote:
(March 16, 2015 at 8:07 pm)Dontsaygoodnight Wrote: So, I have listened to many agnostics and atheists.1. Many are angry and for various reasons. One of the reasons that they are angry is because of stereotyping. A recent observation, is that stereotyping isn't as highlighted in social discourse in the mainstream media as much as it seemed to be when i was in my teens during the 80's. Racism is still a major focus in the media but more general stereotyping does not seem to be an educational focus and I think it should be. One stereotype that really makes a very close friend of mine, who is agnostic, very angry is the assertion that atheists have no real morality without biblical law. Or it is just made up upon personal preference. Stereotyping is a human error and frailty that is widespread.

2. Romans 2:14

So, here, a chief apostle in the bible, asserted that "the Law" was not necessary to have the things of the law "written in the heart."3. In the age of the internet and mass media so many Christians have taken it upon themselves to represent and teach the Gospel but many are not qualified to do so. Instead many are repeating ill-founded arguments that are directly refuted within the bible as if they were Gospel truth, because they have zeal for God but poor Christian education. 4. But modern atheists in developed nations have not only "Law", but also real hearts and minds that have the capacity to develop sound moral code even if "the Law" were absent in society, such as it may be in some under developed regions of the world.

1. I am angry at the violence, repression, and completed devestation your imaginary friend has caused the world.
2. Leviticus Chapter 11 7-8
And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he [is] unclean to you.
Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they [are] unclean to you.
I can post irrevelent verses too.
3. 100% agree. Most christians aren't qualified to intrepret the bible. Doesn't stop them from using, misquoting, and completely justifying their basic human desires with it.
4. Can you clarify? Are you saying atheists are moral...because of god?

Personally, I believe that God does have a hand in bringing goodness to the lives of people no matter what they believe. Lot's of people do the same thing. Someone clothed you, fed you, and sheltered you before you could do this for yourself. People did this for you. But, I believe, that although a person has no knowledge of God or even written law, that this person can grow and develop into moral person, because i believe that the basis for morality is love. If a person can love then that person can do what is good for who he loves. This comes naturally. What comes with much more difficulty is to do what is good for those that hate and abuse you. That is what Christian theology is mainly about. It also becomes very complicated because you have a claim to justice against anyone who does evil to you. It is a sacrifice. You bear what was unjust and in exchange you give something good. This is what Jesus's death demonstrates in Christianity. I can't know for certain, but I would think that an atheist can wish for the good of his persecutor in the way one can wish that he might "see the light", so to speak, and become less cruel.
(March 16, 2015 at 8:07 pm)Dontsaygoodnight Wrote: So, I have listened to many agnostics and atheists. Many are angry and for various reasons. One of the reasons that they are angry is because of stereotyping. A recent observation, is that stereotyping isn't as highlighted in social discourse in the mainstream media as much as it seemed to be when i was in my teens during the 80's. Racism is still a major focus in the media but more general stereotyping does not seem to be an educational focus and I think it should be.

You think racism and stereotyping is primarily an atheist concern? Interesting, but why?

(March 16, 2015 at 8:07 pm)Dontsaygoodnight Wrote: One stereotype that really makes a very close friend of mine, who is agnostic, very angry is the assertion that atheists have no real morality without biblical law. Or it is just made up upon personal preference. Stereotyping is a human error and frailty that is widespread.

Yes, telling people they have no morals tends to make them angry. Not too surprising that. When I tell Christians that I don't approve of much of the morality in the Bible, they tend not be very happy either. Go figure.

(March 16, 2015 at 8:07 pm)Dontsaygoodnight Wrote: Here is what Saint Paul wrote a long time ago.

Romans 2:14

So, here, a chief apostle in the bible, asserted that "the Law" was not necessary to have the things of the law "written in the heart." In the age of the internet and mass media so many Christians have taken it upon themselves to represent and teach the Gospel but many are not qualified to do so. Instead many are repeating ill-founded arguments that are directly refuted within the bible as if they were Gospel truth, because they have zeal for God but poor Christian education. But modern atheists in developed nations have not only "Law", but also real hearts and minds that have the capacity to develop sound moral code even if "the Law" were absent in society, such as it may be in some under developed regions of the world.

Yes, most people have a built in sense of morality, plus a cultural one. The problem with the morality in the Bible, is that the culture it was written in was rather barbaric.

I'm not worried about being judged in the hereafter though because I don't think there is a hereafter. It's here and now I worry about.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bibe Study 2: Questionable Morality Rhondazvous 30 2849 May 27, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  Christian morality delusions tackattack 87 9012 November 27, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  pop morality Drich 862 140887 April 9, 2016 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Question to Theists About the Source of Morality GrandizerII 33 7648 January 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  C.S. Lewis and the Argument From Morality Jenny A 15 6207 August 3, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  The questionable morality of Christianity (and Islam, for that matter) rado84 35 7513 July 21, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: robvalue
  You CAN game Christian morality RobbyPants 82 17589 March 12, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Challenge regarding Christian morality robvalue 170 35930 February 16, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Tonus
  The Prisoner's Dilemma and Objective/Subjective Morality RobbyPants 9 4244 December 17, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Atheist Morality vs Biblical Morality dyresand 46 13601 November 8, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: genkaus