Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Numeric miracles of Quran?
Numeric miracles of Quran?
Hello,
New to the forum and have some big questions I want opinions on. I've been researching some claimed numeric "miracles" in the Quran and can't seem to find many second opinions/rebuttals on them. I've got many but I'm going to start with one and go from there. Check out this link http://lifecheat.blogspot.com/2011/04/up...s.html?m=1 . An example of a numeric miracle is given:
1. Number of letters it is based on are 19 (total number in Bismillah, the opening verse )
2. The length of the number below is a monstrous 114 digit long
3. The opening verse itself is repeated 114 times in the Quran which is a multiple of 19
4. The number below itself is divisible by 7
5. The reverse of this number is also divisible by 7, what are the odds on just this alone
6. The number itself mirrors the occurrences of Bismillah in the Quran chapter by chapter. 1 denotes one time 2 twice and 0 none.
7. Each natural number (1,3,5,7,8 in the quotient is repeated 19 times each exactly, that is mind blowing
8. And if there are still undecided, here is something that brings it all home. The number 15873 is staring at us in the quotient multiple times, please verify for yourself, the 15th Chapter, verse number eighty seven, third word, non other than seven (سَبْعًا)
Scroll down to see more details. This does seem like a very intricate phenomenon. What is everyone's response to this . I want SPECIFIC criticism/comments, not the generic " all books have a pattern" or that it's just coincidence, or that he's just playing with numbers. Maybe someone better with math then me could put this in perspective. I'm not a Muslim trying to promote this. Thank you
RE: Numeric miracles of Quran?
Are you suggesting that numerical trickery equals miracles? Because if so, someone - not necessarily you - has a very low credulity threshold.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(January 6, 2014 at 5:48 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Are you suggesting that numerical trickery equals miracles? Because if so, someone - not necessarily you - has a very low credulity threshold.

Nope not me. But this does make you wonder how any man could have produced this or how it could come by through coincidence. I don't feel I have a legitimate reply to it anyway...
Well, there's one easy answer right off the top of my head. Man did produce it; or at least, took note of numerological coincidences and imposed their own meaning on them, while ignoring anything that didn't fit the perceived pattern.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Fucking numerology again? What, no stomach for typing out a golden ratio argument?

Jesus H. Mohamed Moses Christ! Is this unique to the Abrahamic religions? I don't ever recall seeing a numerology based argument for the Vedas or Upanishads.
I think, in order for this to be considered anything near miraculous, the Muslim would first have to prove the quran is unique and no other books can do anything similar by coincidence. All they've proved until then is that some Muslims have far too much time on their hands.

http://listverse.com/2012/09/20/top-10-s...umerology/

http://skeptic-mind.blogspot.co.uk/2011/...-dick.html
Thanks for the replies. Still looking for more specific criticism or comments. Realistically, what is the probability of this (and other) patterns occurring? I'm looking for some specific mathematical critiques or other reasons why this numeric code isn't valid. Maybe the Quran its self doesn't support it. I don't know. I'm familiar with the argument about the codes in other books and they never seem as compelling or as thorough as what I'm dealing with. If someone can actually find an example of something this intricate, that would be good criticism. Anyway you guys have some good thoughts. I'm not pushing this stuff of Islam, I just don't know....
Oh FFS! This again?!
Numerology is crackpottery.

And cato, here's an example of an awesome piece of poetry that's always with the same metric, same sort of rhymes, always the same thing... and, there's one whole chapter about the Island of love, reporting back to classical greece/roman gods:
- Os Lusíadas

The poem consists of ten cantos, with a variable number of stanzas (1102 in total), written in the decasyllabic ottava rima, which has the rhyme scheme ABABABCC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5OWoG44VAw
So because the Quran has numbered verses, & the numbers of the verses form patterns that must be a miracle? Smells like bullshit!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the Quran support Theocracy? Leonardo17 80 2672 5 hours ago
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New Controversies around the Desecration of the Quran Leonardo17 100 8643 August 20, 2023 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Quran and Hadiths annatar 34 20553 October 11, 2022 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "Nas" is probably my favorite arabic word in the Quran Woah0 22 1280 August 22, 2022 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  [Quranic reflection]: The Big Bang theory in the Quran. WinterHold 62 4374 June 14, 2022 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How I'd Reveal the Quran To Humanity ReptilianPeon 23 2896 May 11, 2022 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Cavalry
  2-big bang theory in the Quran mo3taz3nbar 108 48873 April 3, 2022 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Quranic Reflection]: Quran vs Hadith- why the Hadith is false WinterHold 176 12330 January 15, 2022 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Quranic Reflection]: On reading the Quran.. WinterHold 1 863 July 24, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Quranic Reflection]: moon absorbed by the sun in the Quran: far future. WinterHold 253 14328 December 18, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: polymath257