Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15 things to NEVER say to an atheist
15 things to NEVER say to an atheist
So I don't normally post specifically on atheism much anymore, but I came across this video and quickly realised many of these "things not to say" are said by morons every day on this forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNjEbPfc2d0
RE: 15 things to NEVER say to an atheist
On number 2, I knew a Christian who referred to atheists as walking zombies.

The response to number 4 should be used more often by atheists in such a rational manner as he used.

Number 8 is used because it's from the Bible that those who became "true" (Born-Again as opposed to those who just grew up in a Christian environment) Christians would always be Christians.

On number 10, most atheists I have met online (as opposed to the majority of atheists) know very little about the Bible (a few notable exceptions such as minimalist aside). I actually had the greatest insight (leaps and bounds more than what I received from Christians) from an atheist on the Bible. Though I doubt the position made that atheists think about religion all the time...most just don't give a shit and are happy for it.

On number 11, I have to agree that Christians really need to help out. The "I'll pray for you" for an atheist is really just the same as "you'll be in my thoughts" which is nice to say, but doesn't really do much. Had a Christian tell me they were upset for getting the atheist answer when they were down on their luck.

On number 13, I'd say everyone can be agnostic to an extent.

On number 14, some atheists have replaced religion with something that ended up being the exact same thing as religion. That's not true for most atheists though. Though religion as a defined word has secondary meanings that could define a great many things as religious.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Yep, don't say these things unless you are prepared to be ridiculed and laughed at for your childish beliefs.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(January 16, 2014 at 9:31 pm)Polaris Wrote: On number 10, most atheists I have met online (as opposed to the majority of atheists) know very little about the Bible (a few notable exceptions such as minimalist aside).

You probably know more about the bible than the average atheist in fairness. Yet, I'd also say you know a hell of a lot more about it than the average Xtian too. In essence what he's saying is, on the whole, atheists are probably more educated on religious topics than the religious are. From the majority of people I've met, who label themselves christian, I probably know more about the bible than they do, and I know jack shit about the bible really.
(January 17, 2014 at 10:03 am)Napoléon Wrote: From the majority of people I've met, who label themselves christian, I probably know more about the bible than they do, and I know jack shit about the bible really.

I know, right? I didn't really even start reading the Bible until I became an atheist; my Christian self only knew the well-known stories like Noah's Ark, the creation, and the plagues in Egypt. And of course the positive interpretations of them that I was fed.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
I would say atheists in general know more about religions and science and general knowledge, because that is when it becomes hard to hold on to just one religion. I may not know the specifics of a religion to the extent of a devout believer, but I know more about other religions than they do. Most believers have an idea that their religion is unique, without considering the impact history and politics had on the beliefs they hold.
A religious person who actually thinks about what it is they believe in is something of a rarity from my experience. With atheists however, on the whole I've found anyone who labels themself such usually spends a lot more time thinking about religion and questioning it.
(January 17, 2014 at 2:07 pm)Napoléon Wrote: A religious person who actually thinks about what it is they believe in is something of a rarity from my experience. With atheists however, on the whole I've found anyone who labels themself such usually spends a lot more time thinking about religion and questioning it.

Well, that's somewhat the reverse of the true believer who knows more about their beliefs than the average non-believer. The self-consciously self-described atheist is likely to have greater consciousness of what arguments and facts lead to the position of nonbelief than the average, undifferentiated, run-of-the-mill believer. For a theist, I may be unusual in that I perhaps have a better handle on "the science of nonbelief" than many self-conscious atheists here at AF. When I was an adolescent, I knew I didn't believe in God, but I didn't have strong, well-developed rational reasons for not believing. I was self-consciously atheist, but I didn't really have developed reasons for my nonbelief.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 17, 2014 at 10:03 am)Napoléon Wrote:
(January 16, 2014 at 9:31 pm)Polaris Wrote: On number 10, most atheists I have met online (as opposed to the majority of atheists) know very little about the Bible (a few notable exceptions such as minimalist aside).

You probably know more about the bible than the average atheist in fairness. Yet, I'd also say you know a hell of a lot more about it than the average Xtian too. In essence what he's saying is, on the whole, atheists are probably more educated on religious topics than the religious are. From the majority of people I've met, who label themselves christian, I probably know more about the bible than they do, and I know jack shit about the bible really.

Even though I am going into no True Scotsman territory, I'd say most who say they are Christian aren't really Christian....it's just that they grew up being told they were such.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(January 18, 2014 at 2:21 am)Polaris Wrote: Even though I am going into no True Scotsman territory, I'd say most who say they are Christian aren't really Christian....it's just that they grew up being told they were such.

Yeah you're probably right. But again, that's kinda the point. The vast majority of atheists came to their position through some deal of thinking.

Those 'christians' you mentioned don't really think about it at all.

Ofcourse there are still objections like yourself and indeed there are atheists out there who don't put much thought in either.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1097 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1414 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2317 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11325 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  The Never-Addressed reasons that lead me to Atheism Chimera7 26 3655 August 20, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New atheist here, gotta say, not loving it Rayden_Greywolf 166 23461 November 30, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious downbeatplumb 9 2868 September 5, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Never had that happen before Astonished 6 2490 August 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Those who never believed in a God Der/die AtheistIn 28 5144 July 30, 2017 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Do as I say, not as I do thool 22 7184 May 29, 2017 at 4:59 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah