Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious
More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41150792?SThisFB

Quote:For the first time, more than half of people in the UK do not identify as religious, a survey suggests.
Last year 53% of people described themselves as having "no religion", in a survey of 2,942 adults by the National Centre for Social Research.
Among those aged between 18 and 25, the proportion was higher at 71%.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious
Of course we are !
In the UK most people would never think to ask about someones religion, no one is interested.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Too bad they weren't as skeptical about Brexit.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
According to this ad Australians are also getting free of religion

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(September 5, 2017 at 1:43 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Of course we are !
In the UK most people would never think to ask about someones religion, no one is interested.

Scarcely a year or two before I was born they were. Even as a kid I was aware of Group Captain Peter Townsend and his marriage proposal to Queen Elizabeth's sister Margaret. And the brouhaha was sufficient it didn't end well for the lovebirds when Margaret issued this statement, and that, as they say, was that:

I would like it to be known that I have decided not to marry Group Captain Peter Townsend. I have been aware that, subject to my renouncing my rights of succession, it might have been possible for me to contract a civil marriage. But mindful of the Church's teachings that Christian marriage is indissoluble, and conscious of my duty to the Commonwealth, I have resolved to put these considerations before others. I have reached this decision entirely alone, and in doing so I have been strengthened by the unfailing support and devotion of Group Captain Townsend.

While it's refreshing to see the folks running the show being openly subject to the rules they promulgate on the rest of their citizenry, I do feel bad for Princess Margaret. I'll still admit I'm befuddled by Drich's apparent assertion the Scriptural rationale for Margaret's decision was specious, however. Nearly everybody I knew when I was a kid took it seriously, and it's hard to imagine what changed other than people's gross protestations over being inconvenienced by Scripture when it comes to their being free to commit adultery with church approval. I don't think anything in regards to Jesus changed. Just the degree of fealty His followers were willing to expend to be assured of Salvation.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 5, 2017 at 2:41 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Too bad they weren't as skeptical about Brexit.

Yes, a huge mistake in my opinion, but we seem to be stuck with it now
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Well, we've got until 2020 before it gets ratified. If a week is a long time in politics, three years is an eternity.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Does not matter until they identify as true non-religious.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Well, there's definitely one here.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 5, 2017 at 2:41 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Too bad they weren't as skeptical about Brexit.

Stupidity is a conserved quantity.  If some of it is drained out of one endeavor, it must end up in some others.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1159 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3093 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1853 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1432 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  I love cats and monkies more, than god Interaktive 14 1036 August 26, 2022 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2319 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2863 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Are humans half aliens? Human DNA question Signa92 14 1946 December 30, 2018 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11355 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3502 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H