Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:15 pm

Poll: How do you act on the internet?
This poll is closed.
I'm more abrasive on the internet than IRL.
10.26%
4 10.26%
I'm nicer on the internet than IRL.
5.13%
2 5.13%
"The real me lives on the internet!" -Natsume Asako
12.82%
5 12.82%
I'm not the same on the internet as IRL, but my behavior is comparable.
33.33%
13 33.33%
I'm more honest with people on the internet.
25.64%
10 25.64%
I'm less honest with people on the internet.
0%
0 0%
INTERWEBZ LOL!!!
12.82%
5 12.82%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online disinhibition effect

Okay, so this is nothing new. We all know that people may act differently on the internet than IRL. I'm simply curious as to in what ways this affects, say, the AF community. The poll isn't public so if you can answer honestly with total anonymity.

If you would like to share, though, feel free.

EDIT: Some of the options are not mutually exclusive, so you can pick more than one of them if you like.
EDIT2: I was going to ask if anyone could think of an option I missed, but I don't think I can edit the poll.
RE: Online disinhibition effect
Also known as "The greater Internet fuckwad theory."

[Image: 4fc.jpg]
The only difference I can think of is that I hardly every drop trow in AF.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I think the worse thing that comes from this effect is people can really toy with others emotions, bleeding into their real lives.

Anything that happens in the little white boxes and PM's in turn happens in that persons real life, in so as their decision and attitude towards things and people IRL are changed or influenced by whatever emotions and feelings are still there from whatever social interaction/connection.

Take it from someone who was catfished several years ago...whatever is happening on the internet is happening to real people that are interacting with other real people.
Its nice to be with strangers. People who owe you nothing, have no expectations, no preconceptions.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
I tend to act like whatever group I'm in on the internet.

On facebook, there are two main groups I get a lot of activity from. The first is a skeptic group with a lot of intelligent, rational people. The other started out as a political group, but it's devolved into conspiracy theories and trolls trying to get a rise out of people. In the skeptic group, I try to be intelligent and rational and in the troll group, I act like a troll.

So, I don't know where that puts me. Kind of a 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do' kind of place, I guess.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(January 19, 2014 at 3:21 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Its nice to be with strangers. People who owe you nothing, have no expectations, no preconceptions.

IRL friends are totally overrated.
(January 19, 2014 at 3:22 pm)TaraJo Wrote: So, I don't know where that puts me. Kind of a 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do' kind of place, I guess.

I forgot to add something like that but I don't think I can change it.

Does anyone know if polls can be edited?
Only if 'edit poll' is visible on the poll itself (lower right)
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(January 19, 2014 at 3:29 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Only if 'edit poll' is visible on the poll itself (lower right)

I see 'show results' but there is no 'edit poll'.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for free online platform? franzis 6 599 May 13, 2023 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Have you ever Met-up with an online Buddy? Uberpod 25 1426 December 3, 2022 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: Orbit
  Reversing the Topsy effect. Gawdzilla Sama 3 441 September 18, 2018 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Making money online. paulpablo 25 2334 September 10, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Explain This #2: The Mandela Effect GrandizerII 11 1771 February 2, 2018 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Online Privacy eggie 18 3588 May 26, 2017 at 4:25 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Online dating truthers J a c k 96 9430 August 1, 2016 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Thinking About Trying Online Dating Again - Talk Me Out of It Seraphina 62 6028 July 29, 2016 at 2:30 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Your online safety.......... Brian37 86 13627 December 5, 2015 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Online bullying? ignoramus 17 1959 October 9, 2015 at 3:38 am
Last Post: ignoramus