Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:10 pm

Poll: Does Prospect have a point?
This poll is closed.
No, they completely misunderstand Dawkins, they should know better.
80.00%
4 80.00%
They're right about Dawkins being inconsistent and contradictary, he's also too mean too religion!
20.00%
1 20.00%
Prospect are totally right! I never thought of the book that way!/I've always thought the same thing myself.
0%
0 0%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dawkins>Prospect(?)
Dawkins>Prospect(?)
Dawkins was voted by Prospect as Britain's top intellectual, and also - on another poll - he was voted as the world's 3rd top intellectual.

However then he was either genuinely criticized or he was double-crossed for political reasons.

Here is the article that criticized TGD - I think they surely 'believe in belief' -:

http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/artic...hp?id=7803

Dawkins the Dogmatist! WTF?! He's the opposite! Dogmatism is exactly what he's against!

Sounds like a SERIOUS case of 'belief in belief'. I know of people who say 'I haven't read the book, but that doesn't matter, from the reviews and responses it got, it was clearly a bad move. Because after all, Dawkins wrote this book for Political reasons, why else would he write it? You write things like that for political reasons.'

Such an idea is political correctness gone mad!

Dawkins said himself "I'm a bad politican".

BUT he also replied when more or less asked 'what if religion is winning?':

"So what if it is? What I care about is what's true"

Dawkins clearly writes his books more for scientific reasons than political reasons, it just so happens that when you stand up for the truth - rather than delusion - you're in accordance with morality aswell. Dawkins clearly states that Religion is immoral, basically because of faith. And faith is immoral because its not based on evidence - ie its blind - its ignorant, its a delusion.

Dawkins cares about truth. And rightly so.

This is the paragraph from the article that shocked me - and I've highlighted in bold the important bit -:

'...This persistence is what any scientific attack on religion must explain—and this one doesn't. Dawkins mentions lots of modern atheist scientists who have tried to explain the puzzle: Robert Hinde, Scott Atran, Pascal Boyer, DS Wilson, Daniel Dennett, all of them worth reading. But he cannot accept the obvious conclusion to draw from their works, which is that thoroughgoing atheism is unnatural and will never be popular.'

IF that's true...So what?! So popularity is more important than THE TRUTH all of a sudden?!

(Actually I don't think its sudden!)

Crazy Frog's terrible version of Axel F got to number 1 in the charts here in Britian. For several weeks! That's popularity for you!

What's scientific truth/evidence done? What's Darwin done?

I think we can see what's more important: Crazy Frog or Natural Selection(?)...

I'll leave it at that.
RE: Dawkins>Prospect(?)
To be perfectly honest, when the reviewer starts with the subtitle "Incurious and rambling, Richard Dawkins's diatribe against religion doesn't come close to explaining how faith has survived the assault of Darwinism" I can hardly be surprised at the attitude. The guy is a theist, and theists will always think Dawkins book is bad. Why? Because it is such a great book that explains a heck of a lot.
(October 21, 2008 at 9:33 pm)Tiberius Wrote: To be perfectly honest, when the reviewer starts with the subtitle "Incurious and rambling, Richard Dawkins's diatribe against religion doesn't come close to explaining how faith has survived the assault of Darwinism" I can hardly be surprised at the attitude. The guy is a theist, and theists will always think Dawkins book is bad. Why? Because it is such a great book that explains a heck of a lot.

Ouch. I didn't even know the guy was a theist! It sounded to me like he was just one of those Atheists/Agnostics/(or even Deists) that defend Religion because they 'believe in belief'.

I didn't see him mention he was religious in the article, or that he believed in God, he even was in favour than religion can be very irrational and dangerous at times.

I didn't know he was a theist as well, interesting, now I really know why he was defending religion. What a goit.
Yeah Dawkins is cool ... I get in trouble too for saying things much like him (though obviously he says them better) and am regarded as a fundamentalist atheist whereas actually I'm simply sticking to what I understand are the facts, pointing out that what people believe, fairy tales, myths and so on are exactly that (mythical rubbish). Diplomacy, as far as I'm concerned, is the art of saying "Nice Doggy" until I can find a large enough rock (dunno who first said that) so I'm well in there with not being a politician too.

Kyu
(October 22, 2008 at 7:13 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: Yeah Dawkins is cool ... I get in trouble too for saying things much like him (though obviously he says them better) and am regarded as a fundamentalist atheist whereas actually I'm simply sticking to what I understand are the facts, pointing out that what people believe, fairy tales, myths and so on are exactly that (mythical rubbish). Diplomacy, as far as I'm concerned, is the art of saying "Nice Doggy" until I can find a large enough rock (dunno who first said that) so I'm well in there with not being a politician too.

Kyu

Yes, I agree.
Also Dawkins said - and I paraphrase here - : The difference between fundamentalism, and what's simply just passion, is that fundamentalism is what happens if you're passionate about something in the absence of evidence.
It becomes fundamentalism when your passion rejects evidence.
Hope I got that right.
(October 22, 2008 at 7:28 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Also Dawkins said - and I paraphrase here - : The difference between fundamentalism, and what's simply just passion, is that fundamentalism is what happens if you're passionate about something in the absence of evidence.
Hope I got that right.

I guess this must be the quote you're referring to:

"No, please, do not mistake passion, which can change its mind, for fundamentalism, which never will. Passion for passion, an evangelical Christian and I may be evenly matched. But we are not equally fundamentalist. The true scientist, however passionately he may "believe", in evolution for example, knows exactly what would change his mind: evidence! The fundamentalist knows that nothing will." Dawkins (from How dare you call me a fundamentalist)

Good quote so thanks Smile

Kyu
(October 23, 2008 at 5:10 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(October 22, 2008 at 7:28 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Also Dawkins said - and I paraphrase here - : The difference between fundamentalism, and what's simply just passion, is that fundamentalism is what happens if you're passionate about something in the absence of evidence.
Hope I got that right.

"No, please, do not mistake passion, which can change its mind, for fundamentalism, which never will. Passion for passion, an evangelical Christian and I may be evenly matched. But we are not equally fundamentalist. The true scientist, however passionately he may "believe", in evolution for example, knows exactly what would change his mind: evidence! The fundamentalist knows that nothing will." Dawkins (from How dare you call me a fundamentalist)

Kyu

Thats the quote yes, just a slightly different version. I was thinking of the longer version of the quote from the Preface To The Paperback Edition of TGD, which is a quite a bit longer so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it for copyright reasons. The version of 'You are just as much of a fundamentalist as those you criticize' that I'm thinking of is about a page long, - it goes into more detail. But I'm not sure if I'm allowed to quote the whole (about a page), as I said - for copyright reasons.
Hmmm. Sadly evolution, while consisting of facts and verifiable theories, cannot explain the origins of life. Attacks on religion are wrong. Spiritual truths are revealed by GOD in the religions.
The bible contains essential spiritual truths on how you may be saved.
(October 23, 2008 at 12:15 pm)ManofGOD Wrote: Hmmm. Sadly evolution, while consisting of facts and verifiable theories, cannot explain the origins of life. Attacks on religion are wrong. Spiritual truths are revealed by GOD in the religions.
That sounds like nothing more than plain skyhookery to me.
(October 23, 2008 at 5:10 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
Hope I got that right.

Kyu

Evidence of GODs message can be found by searching facebook for 'Message from GOD'. You will find a picture of a scrabble game with words describing Heaven.
The bible contains essential spiritual truths on how you may be saved.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Richard Dawkins + Nightwish = Epic Mechaghostman2 2 838 January 27, 2016 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: Videodrome
  Does the prospect of nuclear disaster still frighten anyone these days? Mudhammam 68 7911 March 23, 2015 at 2:12 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Richard Dawkins being his usual prissy self CleanShavenJesus 27 8471 November 7, 2013 at 6:47 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Richard Dawkins does a Strange Esquilax 10 2496 June 26, 2013 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Dawkins defeated in debate? Brian37 7 2385 March 21, 2013 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  Dawkins blasts segregation on twitter. Brian37 23 5948 March 17, 2013 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Dawud
  Dawkins to appear on Simpsons cartoon. Brian37 0 781 March 6, 2013 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Where do you rate on Dawkins scale? GodlessGirl 88 29698 July 27, 2012 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Reforged
  Script for the south park episode featuring dawkins Edwardo Piet 2 3581 October 6, 2008 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet