Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice For Those Who Have 'Questions For Atheists'
Advice For Those Who Have 'Questions For Atheists'
Before you post your questions here, have a peek at the literature regarding nonbelief. Without exception every single question you lot ask has been asked and answered.

You can even find most of the questions in this forum, honestly. Failing that, have a lash at the works of Russell, Ingersoll, Dawkins, Hitchens and so forth. Most of this stuff was written for general consumption, and is not particularly heavy going. It is all available either online or at your local lending library.

When your pastor or a school chum or a teacher brings up something that you happen to think, on first hearing, is an absolutely devastating argument against atheism, you can rest assured it has been dealt with.

Some of you complain about snarky comments or 'non-answers' to the things you ask. The above is EXACTLY the reason for that behaviour. If 10 000 people ask me, 'Why is the sky blue?' the first 500 will probably get a layman's explanation of light scattering in the atmosphere. The rest will get something like, 'Because Oog the Sky King drenched his realm in blue urine. Now go away.'

So please, please, PLEASE, look around before you post your questions. Who knows? You might come up with something original.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Advice For Those Who Have 'Questions For Atheists'
Min linked to this blog post from two years ago showing the exact same questions, with the person asking them claiming that they were from an "apologetics class." So it's likely to be a hit-and-run post dump from a theist. I sure hope that this isn't what they're teaching people to ask, but seeing as it's just a step removed from "evolution is just a theory," I figure we'll see it again and again.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
It was oog?!

I never knew that.

He should get that looked at. Blue urine can't be good!
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Atheist do the same thing, they keep asking the same ridiculous questions that's be answered by Christians time and again, yet when we complain about having to answer the same questions we're told to stop complaining and put up with it. Double standard.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(February 3, 2014 at 6:54 am)Godschild Wrote: Atheist do the same thing, they keep asking the same ridiculous questions that's be answered by Christians time and again, yet when we complain about having to answer the same questions we're told to stop complaining and put up with it. Double standard.

GC

Really? What ridiculous questions? Big Grin
Not so much ridiculous questions, but GC makes half a fair point.

Theists and Atheists alike have a lamentable tendency to think that the people in the other group live in holes, and have not heard the common arguments which seem convincing to them. From the slew of "CHRISTIANS EXPLAIN THIS" threads to the "if people evolved from apes, how come there are still apes" type questions, many of these debates take place in a somewhat condescending atmosphere. If I had a quid for every time I've read something on the lines of "the question which destroys Atheism / christianity" I'd be less annoyed when I read them.
Sith code
(February 3, 2014 at 6:54 am)Godschild Wrote: Atheist do the same thing, they keep asking the same ridiculous questions that's be answered by Christians time and again, yet when we complain about having to answer the same questions we're told to stop complaining and put up with it. Double standard.

GC

GC, not finding the current arguments you guys make convincing, is not the same thing as repeating the question. What we're hoping is for a different answer that's actually satisfying, rather than the usual apologetics dodges or appeals to personal experience.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Well then GC is correct in pointing out this at least about how the two situations are parallel. Routinely you'll find new atheists coming here and asking the same questions regarding contradictory behavior of the supposedly loving God of the bible. We may all be tired of it but it is the question burning in that newbie's mind. We do indulge the young unformed atheists so why shouldn't we allow the young, indignant theist to post what is most on his mind?

That was altogether too much 'should'. I for one don't tend to get involved in the threads of new atheists still raw with disappointment. Nor should I have to. This is a fun place to be, not a public service. Fortunately there are others closer to feeling the same things or just more compassionate who will indulge them.

The situation is similar for the theist used to the warmth and comfort of "amen"-community when they learn that there are others who are not grateful to God. When they steel their nerves to confront us for our bad manners toward the 'all loving father' and bring up the arguments they've garnered to shame us, they don't mean to be trite. I'm sure in their own minds they expect an altogether different reaction.

The conversations we've engaged on doesn't settle anything for everyone. It must be one of those never ending story kind of things. When it gets to be too repetitious repetitious rep .. we are entitled to grumble or move on, which ever suites us.
(February 3, 2014 at 7:12 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Not so much ridiculous questions, but GC makes half a fair point.

Theists and Atheists alike have a lamentable tendency to think that the people in the other group live in holes, and have not heard the common arguments which seem convincing to them. From the slew of "CHRISTIANS EXPLAIN THIS" threads to the "if people evolved from apes, how come there are still apes" type questions, many of these debates take place in a somewhat condescending atmosphere. If I had a quid for every time I've read something on the lines of "the question which destroys Atheism / christianity" I'd be less annoyed when I read them.

Appeals to logic will not destroy any religions or any beliefs. We can show that a doctrine is illogical, but who really follows the doctrine these days? Everyone has their own version.
(February 3, 2014 at 11:25 am)Esquilax Wrote:

GC

GC, not finding the current arguments you guys make convincing, is not the same thing as repeating the question. What we're hoping is for a different answer that's actually satisfying, rather than the usual apologetics dodges or appeals to personal experience.
Depends exactly what question you are asking I guess. If you're asking "why do you believe that" then however half arsed the answer may seem to you, we've answered the question as best we can, no matter how your rephrase it my answer is not going to fit the question shaped hole in your head.

If you're asking "why do you think I should believe that" then of course that's a different kettle of fish altogether. Wink

(February 3, 2014 at 11:44 am)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote:
(February 3, 2014 at 7:12 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Not so much ridiculous questions, but GC makes half a fair point.

Appeals to logic will not destroy any religions or any beliefs. We can show that a doctrine is illogical, but who really follows the doctrine these days? Everyone has their own version.
Quite true. There is a saying in Christian circles, "nobody has ever been reasoned into faith". To us that means that what we may see as sound logic and history cannot make someone believe. I don't know if the correlary is also true. I suspect so.
Sith code

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For those who believe the god of abraham was behind the big bang or evolution android17ak47 49 7934 November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  To All Those Theists Who Aren't In It For The Swag Edwardo Piet 17 2921 June 2, 2018 at 8:53 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 56 7306 November 18, 2017 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Get those kids o there! (Theists at Jacksonville try to pray Hurricane Irma away) causal code 20 6366 September 11, 2017 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Advice needed MikeGian1984 20 2598 November 19, 2016 at 2:31 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral Rhondazvous 24 7307 January 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  Long term advice when debating theists. Brian37 33 6925 May 6, 2015 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Angels For Those Who Don't Believe Nope 29 5279 April 10, 2015 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Invisible Sky Fairy
  Questions for the atheists (The geeky christian) Lemonvariable72 32 6480 September 21, 2014 at 3:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11028 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar