Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your memory rewrites the past and edits it with new experiences, study finds
Your memory rewrites the past and edits it with new experiences, study finds
Quote:Our memory is a poor way of recording events, a study has found, as it rewrites the past with current information, updating recollections with new experiences.

In the study, How your Memory Rewrites the Past, researchers looked at the exact point in time when incorrectly recalled information was implanted into an existing memory.

The team found that memory rewrites the past with current information, updating recollections with new experiences. This form of editing happens in the hippocampus, working as the memory’s version of a film editor or special effects team.
http://Your memory rewrites the past and...tudy finds
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Your memory rewrites the past and edits it with new experiences, study finds
The correct link:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scienc...09559.html

I've come to the tentative conclusion that much of my intellectual edge is due to my remembering things more accurately and in greater depth. On that theory, it's not that I'm all that smart, it's just I have better access to more reliable information, as a rule, than the next person. I suspect that accounts for a lot of things about me. Still doesn't explain why I can't remember names or historical dates. *sigh* *woozles*

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: Your memory rewrites the past and edits it with new experiences, study finds
Philip R. Davies has written on book entitled "Memories of Ancient Israel." This essay from Bible and Interpretation explains more.

http://www.bibleinterp.com/articles/memory.shtml

Quote:Since we now know that very many biblical images of the past (patriarchs, exodus, wandering, conquest, perhaps David and Solomon, too) are not authentic ones, it is our responsibility to discover how better to describe them, which means understanding what their real purpose is.

In the book itself, Davies uses a particularly modern example to demonstrate the concept. Because of 60 years of war movies far too many Americans forget that it was the Soviet Union which stopped the Germans and drove them back. Far too many think of Normandy as the beginning of the end for Germany and have never heard of Stalingrad.

The concept of cultural memory is one that Davies discusses in depth in the book.
Our life is full of old memories and new experiences. We also remember the good movements of life.
I don't think memory is all that well understood. The idea that it exists in some sort of recorded form is bogus. It is more like we string together bits and pieces which feel likely and stitch them together in ways that ring true.
This, from the article:

It does this to help us survive and adapt within constantly changing environments, and to encourage us to focus on things that are important in the present.

I had no idea. That's fascinating to learn.
I suspected this years ago. Dejavu that is. I knew it was overwritten right on the spot but I couldn't prove it. Now there is the proof hehe.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Near Death Experience Study Opinions? orthodox-man 62 9783 May 1, 2018 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  DAWN finds organic materials on dwarf planet Ceres! Alex K 9 1504 February 18, 2017 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Old bible or quran finds important? Not as important as this The Valkyrie 10 1531 June 1, 2016 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The AWARE study. Jehanne 3 1039 February 8, 2016 at 3:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  [Past|Present|Future] Timetravel - Hoax? ErGingerbreadMandude 66 13579 July 8, 2015 at 12:47 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  New study on mass extinction of species abaris 19 5247 June 21, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Peer reviewed study published in Science Journal turns out to be fraud. YGninja 82 11224 May 28, 2015 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Kennewick Man Study On The Way Minimalist 4 1470 September 1, 2014 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
Tongue Study:Drunk Fish Totally Impress Sober Fish. MountainsWinAgain 2 1049 May 23, 2014 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Tonus
  NASA Study Concludes When Civilization Will End, And It's Not Looking Good for Us Gooders1002 9 3759 March 22, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Heywood