Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Past|Present|Future] Timetravel - Hoax?
[Past|Present|Future] Timetravel - Hoax?
I'd like to start this thread by reminding everyone that i debated over in my last thread that this is a thread i opened for a discussion to clear some of my doubts.

char *SMDLFR = "I don't have a strong mathematical background nor a science so if i made some dumb mistake please be polite and point it out";

Past | Present | Future -Hoax?

I Think we are all familiar with the concept of Past,Present and Future.

Past is what happened.
Present is what is happening.
Future is what is going to happen.

I think everyone would agree.(If you don't - please tell us why.)

So as i was awake during a silent night at around 1:30 am i came across this thought:

1 day(24 hrs) before the present time is the past.
1 hour(60 mins) before the present time is the past.
1 min(60 seconds) before the present time is the past.
1 second before the present time is the past.

So,wouldn't it be fair to say that:

1/10 second before the present time is the past.
1/100 second before the present time is the past.
1/1000 second before the present time is the past.
1/10000 second before the present time is the past.
1/100000 second before the present time is the past.

i.e. 1/infinity second before the present time is the past. (Reminder: SMDLFR)

So,i considered the number 1/infinity and i was like - wow what a small number its amazing because this frigging number is like infinitely small :Shock 0.O)

So small that i thought perhaps this number would be negligible.(Reminder: SMDLFR)

So:
Negligible second before the present time is the past.

Wouldn't that make Past a non-existent idea?(Reminder: SMDLFR)

Similarly,
Wouldn't that make Future a non-existent idea?

And then i really freaked out:
Wouldn't that make Time traveling an impractical idea? And really smart scientists believe that the idea of time traveling is real.So it was obvious that my logic was faulty somewhere - i just don't know where - so i'm kind of scared.

Can someone please tell me why i'm wrong?
(I'm really not a math or science person and can very well be spitting out blunder so i hope you'd be cooperative.)

Other than that,i'd like a general discussion on the topic.

- Thank you for reading.
RE: [Past|Present|Future] Timetravel - Hoax?
(July 4, 2015 at 8:43 am)pool Wrote: So as i was awake during a silent night at around 1:30 am i came across this thought:

That's your problem, right there. 1:30am is not the time best for lucidity of mind.
The past and future are separated by, if I recall correctly, 1/10^-43 of a second, not an 'infinitely' short interval.

Why doesn't it ever occur to anybody when they come up with something that they are not the first to think of it ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(July 4, 2015 at 8:43 am)pool Wrote: Wouldn't that make Time traveling an impractical idea? And really smart scientists believe that the idea of time traveling is real.So it was obvious that my logic was faulty somewhere - i just don't know where
Yes and no. The jury is still out on actual time travel. There are very real possibilities they are thinking of every day, but each new possibility brings a new host of problems.
The one real idea, and this is where reality gets more freaky than fiction, is using an exploit in the relativistic nature of time. The exact same "laws" of time that allow GPS satellites to function would allow you to "travel" into the future. To travel any significant amount of time into the future would require you to get extremely close to the speed of light, but the mechanics behind it we know to work. How's that for trippy?  Tongue
Nonsense, all you need is plutonium to run your flux capacitor and a speed of 88 miles per hour.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(July 4, 2015 at 9:09 am)vorlon13 Wrote: The past and future are separated by, if I recall correctly, 1/10^-43 of a second, not an 'infinitely' short interval.

Why doesn't it ever occur to anybody when they come up with something that they are not the first to think of it ?

That's very interesting could you provide a source of that information?

Also,i meant to say the time interval between past and present & present and future not past and future.
Are you aware of the answer to this question?
Are you?
(July 4, 2015 at 10:47 am)LastPoet Wrote: Are you?

That's odd,do you think that i know this information and i'm pretending to not know it to access the knowledge of the people in this forum?

To answer your question,no,i'm not aware of this information.
(July 4, 2015 at 10:38 am)Jenny A Wrote: Nonsense, all you need is plutonium to run your flux capacitor and a speed of 88 miles per hour.
I tried that, but I could only get my capacitor up to 1.08 jigawatts Sad
I googled for "time interval between future and present" and came up with results that relates with money or the value of money.
But as i looked further i came across an article from standord.edu that discusses the Perception of time.
Here's a quote from that article:

Quote:Augustine's answer to this riddle is that what we are measuring, when we measure the duration of an event or interval of time, is in the memory. From this he derives the radical conclusion that past and future exist only in the mind.

Okay,so some other person came to the same conclusion as me that: Past and Future are non-existent but apparently he came to that conclusion because of reasons that has to do with the perception of time.

What do you guys think?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Body Future luxilius 8 1637 November 8, 2014 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Where are the people from the future? lifesagift 42 7141 September 5, 2014 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Exian
  Your memory rewrites the past and edits it with new experiences, study finds Gooders1002 6 2181 March 22, 2014 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tor
  moon landing hoax? xxxtobymac 65 12799 November 5, 2013 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas