Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flat Earth and Geocentrism
Flat Earth and Geocentrism
There are a number of bible verses that speak of the "foundations" of the earth. A few others suggest that the sun orbits the earth. Does this mean that the bible's authors thought the world was flat and the universe geocentric? Or does foundation here have some other meaning?

If it does imply that the earth is flat...it should pretty much settle any religious argument. Ever.

See:

Psalm 105: 5
He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved.
[note: this verse has both, an earth with a foundation and a non-moving planet]

Job 38:4
Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand.

Job 38:13
That it might take hold of the ENDS OF THE EARTH, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?

Isaiah 48:13
Yea, my hand hath laid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand hath spread out the heavens: when I call unto them, they stand up together.

Ecclesiastes 1:5
The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises.
(the sun doesn't "hurry back" anywhere. the earth rotates on its axis)

Well, Christians??

Surely a supreme being can do better than this ROFLOL
RE: Flat Earth and Geocentrism
(February 14, 2014 at 6:35 pm)ThePinsir Wrote: There are a number of bible verses that speak of the "foundations" of the earth. A few others suggest that the sun orbits the earth. Does this mean that the bible's authors thought the world was flat and the universe geocentric? Or does foundation here have some other meaning?

If it does imply that the earth is flat...it should pretty much settle any religious argument. Ever.

See:

That it might take hold of the ENDS OF THE EARTH, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?

Yea, my hand hath laid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand hath spread out the heavens: when I call unto them, they stand up together.

Well, Christians??

They will say its poetic crap.. I think its all crap...
(February 14, 2014 at 6:35 pm)ThePinsir Wrote: There are a number of bible verses that speak of the "foundations" of the earth. A few others suggest that the sun orbits the earth. Does this mean that the bible's authors thought the world was flat and the universe geocentric? Or does foundation here have some other meaning?

See:

Well, Christians??

Even a lot of Young Earth Creationists wont admit that these verses actually say that the Earth is a flat disc at the centre of the universe.

A bunch of gutless cherry pickers Angry
undefined
They will say that "circle" (flat round disc) is really "sphere" (round, three-dimensional ball). They will point to "corners" and "foundations" as colloquial terms (we still use phrases like "the ends of the earth" even today). It's a non-starter, IMO. There is certainly enough there to interpret it as claiming that the earth was basically like one of those snow globes, a flat disc with a canopy on which the sky was stretched out. But there is just enough ambiguity for them to insist that it's just figures of speech, and texts like Job 26:7 ("he hangs the earth on nothing") to imply that the ancient writers understood that it floated in space.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I'm not sure how to find it, but there have been maps of earth with a solid firmament and the sun and moon between it and the land. The view of the world was very different back then, and many people at least wouldn't think it was all poetic.

I think there is a bible passage that says it hangs on nothing, though that still isn't really accurate.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 14, 2014 at 6:39 pm)truthBtold Wrote:

See:

Well, Christians??

They will say its poetic crap.. I think its all crap...

You're right. Every single verse quoted here is poetic literature. It's poetic language. You can ridicule all you want, but the bible is not making a statement about a flat earth. How many modern authors have used the term "the four corners of the earth" and many others, like "the sun rose" and "the sun shone it's light"?
Ever use the term sunrise, sunset? You do know the sun does not move across the sky right? Why do we still use these terms? Because from our perspective these things still seem to hold true. How much more true when 'we' did not know any better?
I could make a case for geocentrism. Not a good one but a case none the less. Might have to wait til I get to a though (am on holiday
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(February 16, 2014 at 8:25 pm)Lek Wrote:
(February 14, 2014 at 6:39 pm)truthBtold Wrote: They will say its poetic crap.. I think its all crap...

You're right. Every single verse quoted here is poetic literature. It's poetic language. You can ridicule all you want, but the bible is not making a statement about a flat earth. How many modern authors have used the term "the four corners of the earth" and many others, like "the sun rose" and "the sun shone it's light"?

So how do you know that this is poetic, but the great flood is literal truth?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(February 16, 2014 at 8:25 pm)Lek Wrote: You're right. Every single verse quoted here is poetic literature. It's poetic language. You can ridicule all you want, but the bible is not making a statement about a flat earth. How many modern authors have used the term "the four corners of the earth" and many others, like "the sun rose" and "the sun shone it's light"?

Ah yes, that great poetic idiom, "it can never be moved," used to mean- in such a poetic way!- "moves constantly and at a speed that would be boggling if we had the capability to feel it." Yes. Rolleyes

Also, can we notice the difference between Lek's "it's all poetry!" stance, and Drich's "We didn't know any better!" stance? One of them's gotta be wrong... Or both... Thinking

Oh, and Drich? Didn't god know any better?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the Afro-Asiatic linguistics incompatible with Young-Earth Creationism? FlatAssembler 17 1372 July 13, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  The age of the Earth LinuxGal 12 2492 March 21, 2023 at 5:18 am
Last Post: no one
  Hollow Earth Fake Messiah 8 951 October 14, 2021 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4028 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  God said People who have Flat Noses Canot Serve Him Rhondazvous 177 20493 May 3, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Geocentrism & Last Thursdayism. Jehanne 0 1029 December 12, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  How will you spend your last four days on earth? Rapture and end days, oh my! Whateverist 40 7245 September 21, 2015 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Earth-is-stationary Proofs TubbyTubby 20 6110 April 15, 2015 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Christianity IS Geocentrism. topher 45 10947 May 29, 2014 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  Earth - Proof of God? Christian 147 57072 February 26, 2013 at 12:34 am
Last Post: ThomM