Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the point of this life in Christianity?
What's the point of this life in Christianity?
It seems it is just a gullibility test, and if you pass you get to the real part?

Belief in God is supposed to answer the question of "whats's the point of life". It only seems to throw even more questions up, like:

1. Why not just kill yourself, rather than risk you becoming an Atheist later in life? After all, if you were to die in a car crash at that point you'd go to heaven. Heaven is great and much better than this life apparently.

2. Why not just create only heaven?

3. Why bother with such a large universe, when all you really need is a church and someone to tell you what to believe.

4. Why create death? Even if humans need to die so they get to heaven, there's no need for animals to die of old age. (It's almost like humans are animalsWink)

I'm sure there a hundreds more.

I personally think the Christian point of life is a lot more disturbing and depressing than the average Atheists. Thinking I'm just in one very long test that I can never be totally sure I'm going to pass would make my life very miserable.
RE: What's the point of this life in Christianity?
Christianity looks a lot like the Cthulhu Mythos from a certain angle.
(February 24, 2014 at 10:38 am)FreeTony Wrote: It seems it is just a gullibility test, and if you pass you get to the real part?

Belief in God is supposed to answer the question of "whats's the point of life". It only seems to throw even more questions up, like:

1. Why not just kill yourself, rather than risk you becoming an Atheist later in life? After all, if you were to die in a car crash at that point you'd go to heaven. Heaven is great and much better than this life apparently.

2. Why not just create only heaven?

3. Why bother with such a large universe, when all you really need is a church and someone to tell you what to believe.

4. Why create death? Even if humans need to die so they get to heaven, there's no need for animals to die of old age. (It's almost like humans are animalsWink)

I'm sure there a hundreds more.

I personally think the Christian point of life is a lot more disturbing and depressing than the average Atheists. Thinking I'm just in one very long test that I can never be totally sure I'm going to pass would make my life very miserable.

1. You're supposed to put everything in Yahweh's hands, including when you die.

2. Humans were designed to live on Earth, and some believe when he comes back he'll make a new kingdom on Earth. It's a little unclear to me, though.

3. Originally they thought the stars were just cracks in the firmament or something. They didn't know that each star was a sun and so forth. There's a line somewhere about Satan knocking stars out of the sky, so either they thought the stars were just lights in the sky, or Satan would have to take up most of the Milky Way.

Originally everlasting life was obtained by eating a certain fruit, and Yahweh decided not to let them eat it because they knew too much. Although immortal beings who could breed at any time of the year would cause a huge mess in a short amount of time. The idea that Adam and Eve were meant to be immortal doesn't work very well if you think about it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

The purpose is to fill up the collection plate for the criminals who call the shots.
(February 24, 2014 at 11:38 am)Chad32 Wrote: 1. You're supposed to put everything in Yahweh's hands, including when you die.

That is certainly the Muslim approach. Speaking to some guys working out in Muslim countries, the Muslims really do believe this. There is no need for health and safety at all as it's all up to Allah so why bother.
From what I can gather, the point of life according to Christianity is to pass the test. You're whole ethereal existence is a big exam with eternal consequences.

Of course, it doesn't seem to bother them, because each one of them believes they're passing the test correctly. They certainly behave with a sanctimonious flair that can only come with the belief that you are one of god's chosen ones.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Point one- this truly is a test
. A test of which family you choose to be in. God's whole thing is a huge family, similar to our own families where the kids grow up and become both family and friends. God's desire is that we would be one with Him, but that is your choice.
Lucifer and a bunch of his pals failed the test. The pride filled music minister of Heaven decided to boot God off His thrown and take over (hmm.. sound familar?). There is no redemption for these beings- unlike ourselves.

Point 2- this earth has an end date coming.

Point 3- Satan (Lucifer- worshiped by the Masons according to Albert Pike) already "Drew a third part of the stars" (angels) to himself and is about to be cast down from his current dwelling place in the heavens.
He will be taking up residence in the "Resident". It will not be pretty.

Point 4- Death was part of the curse that Adam got when he chose the tree of knowledge rather than the tree of Life. The trees were symbolic and literal.
Islam, Mormonisim and the JWs each started with an agent of Satan offering the tree of knowledge (of course it was a lie in each case).

Now I have a question....
Barry McGuire once asked, "Why is it always THAT name (Jesus) that you use (as an adjective), why isn't it Budah or Mohammed, or some other name?
All over the world it is always THAT name (according to Barry).
Could it be that the commandment against taking the name of the Lord your God in a usless/ profane way is being broken every time?
OR is it that that commandment is the only one that is never broken but all the rest are routinely violated?

As for the other questions- one of your favorite guys says, "We're working on it".
No, it really isn't like a Human family at all. Even if the father is the head of the family, I don't think anyone literally worships the ground he walks on, and in some countries it is not ok for him to do whatever he likes with his wife and child. The role of a Human parent is also to train their children to grow up, be independent, and not need guidance from the parents anymore. They move out and live their own lives, and the father isn't usually going to hunt them down and kill them if the now adult person doesn't keep in touch and all that.

Yahweh might be called the father, but he has less and less in common with fathers of first world countries as time goes on. I'm not even sure if fathers had strict control over their adult children in biblical times, though it was possible that a forty year old man might still live in the same town as his dad and do whatever he said for fear of punishment.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 24, 2014 at 10:38 am)FreeTony Wrote: It seems it is just a gullibility test, and if you pass you get to the real part?
I think the first part of this is accurate, in that it has become a gullibility test. By making the final reward and punishment so excessive, a person is less likely to worry about the details. An eternity in paradise, or an eternity in hell? Many people will simply buy that lottery ticket rather than figure out if there's actually going to be a drawing or not.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(February 24, 2014 at 1:48 pm)professor Wrote: Lucifer and a bunch of his pals failed the test. The pride filled music minister of Heaven decided to boot God off His thrown and take over (hmm.. sound familar?). There is no redemption for these beings- unlike ourselves.

I don't think you can simultaneously not believe in God, and also want to overthrow him. It's also a pretty pointless idea if he is omnipotent and you are not.

(February 24, 2014 at 1:48 pm)professor Wrote: Now I have a question....
Barry McGuire once asked, "Why is it always THAT name (Jesus) that you use (as an adjective), why isn't it Budah or Mohammed, or some other name?
All over the world it is always THAT name (according to Barry).

It depends if "all over the world" is code for America.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what is the point? Drich 123 7679 September 19, 2020 at 11:04 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6774 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is There a Point To Living a Moral Life? ronedee 323 123817 July 14, 2015 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8495 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18301 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  What is the point of morality if you're a theist? Esquilax 50 12773 October 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: Owlix
  Point of worship? justin 18 5327 March 6, 2013 at 9:05 am
Last Post: John V
  A point for Christianity Edward 20 6560 April 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: athoughtfulman