Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Are Your Favorite Short Stories?
What Are Your Favorite Short Stories?
I have several favorites, but one I wish to recommend to anyone who hasn't read it is Amy Hempel's "In the Cemetery Where Al Jolson is Buried". I first read this splendid story in the late '80s and return to it every year or so. It never stops breaking my heart.

Please share your favorite short stories.
RE: What Are Your Favorite Short Stories?
The Fog Horn by Ray Bradbury. The monster's loneliness, as described, is gut-wrenching.

http://www.goldenageofscifi.info/pdf/Bra...oghorn.pdf
HP Lovecraft's Herbert West: Re-animator and The Outsider. There is an entertaining series of films called Reanimator which are inspired by the former (although their interpretation is not really loyal to the original story), and Castle Freak is (loosely) based on the latter.
"The Pearl" by Steinbeck.

And for something creepy and funny, "The System of Dr Tarr and Professor Fether" by Edgar Allen Poe. Smile
Thank you, Cato. I hadn't read that story before and enjoyed it very much.

As for Lovecraft, I've never read his stories and can't say why. I've known of him for some time. I'll check it out. Thanks, FTW. I did see Re-animator on DVD and liked it, so I'm keen to read the story on which it's loosely based.
"A Christmas Memory" by Truman Capote, "A Rose for Emily" by William Faulkner, "Kneller's Happy Campers" by Etgar Keret, "A Clean, Well Lighted Place" by Hemingway, and "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar" by Roald Dahl, to name a few.

Maybe I should add a longer list of my favourite novellas.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I don't know if it is considered a short story or a novella but I would have to add The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

It's just so beautifully written.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
The worlds shortest horror story written(I think) by Alfred Bester.

" The last man on Earth sat alone in a room, there was a knock on the door"
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Jaysus, too many to list, but here are a few that have always given me enjoyment, for various reasons. In no particular order:

'Jeffty Is Five', by Harlan Ellison

'A Scandal In Bohemia', by Arthur Conan Doyle

'The Man Who Corrupted Hadleyburg', by Mark Twain

'The Green Hills Of Earth', by Robert Heinlein

'Hop-Frog', by Edgar Allan Poe

Boru

(February 26, 2014 at 5:50 am)Zen Badger Wrote: The worlds shortest horror story written(I think) by Alfred Bester.

" The last man on Earth sat alone in a room, there was a knock on the door"

Bester also wrote the shortest science-fiction story, one letter shorter:

'The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a lock on the door.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'm not quite sure that it counts, but I suggest reading Alice Munro's "Too much happiness", which is a novel, but it is made up of several short stories. At a first glance it's like reading any good story about someone elses piece of life, until there is a really odd twist to it, that you most certainly didn't see coming, and the ending is usually also not quite what the reader thought it might have been.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Your Favorite Religious Movie ? The Architect Of Fate 25 2484 November 24, 2022 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: Uberpod
  Your favorite Star Trek Universe Alien Foxaèr 27 1083 November 28, 2020 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Sticks: A Short Story - Satire Rhondazvous 2 442 May 12, 2020 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Your favorite fictional pub? Gawdzilla Sama 63 3423 May 7, 2020 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Your favorite October/Halloween re-watches Foxaèr 6 673 October 12, 2018 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Post your Favorite Short Stories vulcanlogician 42 7496 June 3, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Post your favorite blues song. vulcanlogician 29 3424 March 27, 2018 at 6:25 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Favorite Scenes from Favorite Fiims chimp3 46 3488 February 10, 2018 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Athene
  What Is Your Favorite Music Album Of All Time? Edwardo Piet 30 3611 December 5, 2017 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Your favorite tv shows NOW vs. your favorite tv shows of all time Casca 14 1736 January 15, 2017 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus