Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Concept.....
Interesting Concept.....
http://news.discovery.com/human/evolutio...140225.htm

Quote:Our primate ancestors that first lost most of their body hair were likely pale skinned, according to a new study that concludes our human forebears probably evolved darker skin later to safeguard against skin cancer and other problems that can result from too much sun exposure.

The study, published in the latest Proceedings of the Royal Society B, helps explain both the historical origins and biological significance of skin coloration in humans.

Author Mel Greaves, a professor at The Institute of Cancer Research in the U.K., told Discovery News that "the likelihood is that the common ancestor of hominins and chimps had pale skin."

I wonder if rational discussion of this will be possible or if it will get bogged down in political correctness?
RE: Interesting Concept.....
(February 28, 2014 at 2:49 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I wonder if rational discussion of this will be possible or if it will get bogged down in political correctness?

I don't know, it depends, what exactly do you want to discuss about it?
Most furry animals have pale skin under their fur. My Dog (all black Belgium Shepherd) has skin lighter than mine.

One notable exception is the Polar Bear, of all things, which, as I recall, has black skin.

Doesn't really seem all that surprising for us. We were hairy and pale skinned (2.5 million years ago+). We lost our hair and went dark skinned (2 million years ago?). Some of us left Africa and became pale skinned again (100,000 years ago). Those that remained stayed dark skinned.

Where is the PC issue?
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
(February 28, 2014 at 3:05 pm)max-greece Wrote: Where is the PC issue?

"Whites were here first."
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Actually, I meant discussion in the scientific/academic community.

I'm going to have to see if I can find the actual study rather than just a press release about it. Few of these academic journals are available online.

An initial thought was wondering if skin cancer would actually develop before an individual reached puberty?
(February 28, 2014 at 3:07 pm)Tonus Wrote:
(February 28, 2014 at 3:05 pm)max-greece Wrote: Where is the PC issue?

"Whites were here first."

You are joking.

Hair covered apes - but they had white skin - and this is important.

FFS.

The first hairless humans were Black, however, or dead from Skin Cancer.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
(February 28, 2014 at 3:50 pm)max-greece Wrote: You are joking.
I like my humor dry. Like my Vermouth. If I drank Vermouth.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I always thought it was the opposite. That the earliest humans were dark skinned. There were a few paler ones, and they were sexually selected.

Interesting...
I could be persuaded that there is an appreciable difference between UV radiation at the equator compared to, say, Scandinavia. It's not so obvious that there is a sufficient difference between the equator and the Levant to make that much of a difference.

I suspect another variable is involved but, again, I'd like to see the full report.
Makes sense...
I'd go a step further and say that as hominids grew hairless, the underlying skin grew darker... I mean... You wouldn't have a bald monkey born from a hairy one, would you?... (crocoduck, anyone?)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eugenics/Designer-babies... is the concept really that bad? Aoi Magi 112 11546 August 16, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  This is interesting brewer 5 1114 January 2, 2017 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Interesting snippet on Tx resistent depression. brewer 73 8085 August 30, 2016 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Okay. Interesting Hypothesis Minimalist 2 721 August 29, 2016 at 4:44 pm
  Interesting Study Minimalist 3 761 August 19, 2016 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: brewer
  An interesting read about BP treatment brewer 4 1012 July 24, 2016 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Interesting Study.... Minimalist 0 703 April 5, 2016 at 11:57 pm
  Okay - Interesting thought Minimalist 6 1267 March 8, 2016 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Exian
  Interesting Headline in the War on Cancer.... Minimalist 24 4844 February 24, 2016 at 12:56 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Interesting Genetic Finding Minimalist 17 3072 July 3, 2014 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger