Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientists and Belief - More Up To Date Survey
Scientists and Belief - More Up To Date Survey
I was googling for information about what scientists believe and found that a survey had been done in 2009.

Scientists And Belief

Quote:A survey of scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, conducted by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press in May and June 2009, finds that members of this group are, on the whole, much less religious than the general public.1 Indeed, the survey shows that scientists are roughly half as likely as the general public to believe in God or a higher power. According to the poll, just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power; specifically, 33% of scientists say they believe in God, while 18% believe in a universal spirit or higher power. By contrast, 95% of Americans believe in some form of deity or higher power, according to a survey of the general public conducted by the Pew Research Center in July 2006. Specifically, more than eight-in-ten Americans (83%) say they believe in God and 12% believe in a universal spirit or higher power. Finally, the poll of scientists finds that four-in-ten scientists (41%) say they do not believe in God or a higher power, while the poll of the public finds that only 4% of Americans share this view.

Even though scientists as a group are less religious than the general population, that's still a lot of scientists who believe in God or a universal spirit or higher power.

What I find really interesting is the following -

Quote:The Pew Research Center poll of scientists also found that levels of religious faith vary according to scientific specialty and age. For instance, chemists are more likely to believe in God (41%) than those who work in the other major scientific fields. Meanwhile, younger scientists (ages 18-34) are more likely to believe in God or a higher power than those who are older.

Scroll down the page to the table showing the results for scientists in different fields.

Biological and Medical - 32% believe in God while 19% believe in a universal spirit or higher power.

Chemistry - 41% believe in God while 14% believe in a universal spirit or higher power.

Geosciences - 30% believe in God and 20% believe in a universal spirit or higher power.

Physics and Astronomy - 29% believe in God and 14% believe in a universal spirit or higher power.

Why does belief vary between scientific fields? I've been looking to see if anyone had managed to figure it out but haven't had any success so far.

This survey only covered scientists who belong to a particular organisation so we don't know what the results would be if every scientist in the world took part in a similar survey.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
RE: Scientists and Belief - More Up To Date Survey
chemists are high as shit.
I hate the bible. I love that do as thy whilst stuff.
(March 19, 2014 at 3:09 pm)heathendegenerate Wrote: chemists are high as shit.

LOL. Maybe some of them are researching chemicals with interesting properties. Big Grin

Seriously, though, I've been very interested in scientists and their beliefs or lack of them since I belonged to another atheist forum. A group of enthusiastic atheists there maintained that religion would come to an end if everyone was made to understand science. When I looked into it I discovered that it wouldn't.

Nobody's figured out why our species is prone to religious belief but whatever the answer is, understanding science doesn't automatically make people immune.
73% of philosophers are or lean toward atheism, a further 13% are other non-theistic positions, leaving only 14% of philosophers as some kind of theist. Wink

And actually, there are very good looks into why our species has religious beliefs. Two books I'd recommend on this are cognitive scientist and philosopher of mind Daniel Dennett's "Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon" and science historian and psychologist Michael Shermer's "The Believing Brain". There's probably some good stuff from anthropology as well, I'm just not familiar with it.
(March 19, 2014 at 4:49 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: 73% of philosophers are or lean toward atheism, a further 13% are other non-theistic positions, leaving only 14% of philosophers as some kind of theist. Wink

Does that mean philosophy turns most philosophers into atheists or that it attracts more atheists than believers? Big Grin

(March 19, 2014 at 4:49 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: And actually, there are very good looks into why our species has religious beliefs. Two books I'd recommend on this are cognitive scientist and philosopher of mind Daniel Dennett's "Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon" and science historian and psychologist Michael Shermer's "The Believing Brain". There's probably some good stuff from anthropology as well, I'm just not familiar with it.

There's also that branch of neuroscience labelled neurotheology which I find particularly interesting. I have the kind of brain which produces odd, subjective experiences and I wonder why so many human brains do this.

Eastern mysticism seems to be related to the experiences of this neuroanatomist who explains what happened when she had a stroke.

It doesn't explain the results of the American Association for the Advancement of Science survey, though. Why do chemists who believe in God outnumber physicists and astronomers who believe in God? It also doesn't explain why there's an equal percentage in these fields when it comes to belief in a universal spirit or higher power.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Satisfaction Correlated with Religious Belief Neo-Scholastic 38 3359 September 10, 2022 at 4:35 am
Last Post: Niblo
  Belief in white Jesus linked to racism Foxaèr 91 6275 January 1, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Young more likely to pray than over-55s - survey zebo-the-fat 16 1564 September 28, 2021 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1779 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  The Dunning-Kruger Effect and Religious Belief AFTT47 18 4166 March 11, 2019 at 7:19 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  When is a Religious Belief Delusional? Neo-Scholastic 266 26166 September 12, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Bare minimum for belief in Christianity. ignoramus 37 7619 May 10, 2018 at 1:24 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 6730 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Knowledge, belief, and honesty. Mystic 29 3819 March 19, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  How to become a God, in 3 simple steps (absent faith/belief): ProgrammingGodJordan 91 14764 November 28, 2016 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan