Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bare minimum for belief in Christianity.
Bare minimum for belief in Christianity.
Guys, THAT other ID thread got me thinking.

Let's say you don't want to deny any scientific facts. About anything. (Why would you anyway?)
But you still need that extra life that baby Jesus has on offer?

Is that possible? Call it "caffeine free diet Christianity" or whatever...
In reality, almost all Christians use modern technology, believe in medical cures, disregard everything in the bible that conflicts with their modern "good person" lifestyle etc,
so their beliefs are strictly of a philosophical nature anyway.

Can these people still be called Christians? If THEY call themselves Christians, then they ARE Christians. Who are we or other Christians to judge them?
Every Christian cherry picks, so there must be lots of pots and kettles about. Especially between competing schisms.

EG, belief in heaven might sound silly but is it technically breaking any rules of the cosmos?
Maybe shoving your beliefs in the gaps of science technically does not need or involve any mental gymnastics ...because ...well, we just never know, do we? Dunno

I think the god of the gaps WAS invented for theists to sleep easy at night. Just like in a court of law, YOU CAN'T PROVE ME WRONG, THEREFORE NOT GUILTY of believing anything false.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Bare minimum for belief in Christianity.
Christians call themselves that for any old reason now.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
This is all it takes.

[Image: christians-worship-a-dead-jew-on-a-stick...120062.png]
The minimum belief is a belief in Christ.  It's a title, not a name.  All else is negotiable. -CHRIST-ians, not luddites. Though, obviously, there's some overlap in practice.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Well, since Google is God. Here is Google's definition of the adjective, of what it means for someone or something to be Christian:

"relating to or professing Christianity or its teachings."

So to be Christian is to be relating to or professing Christianity or its teachings.

That begs the question of what Christianity is. I'll see what Google's opinion absolute 100% correct view is on that later.

First, the noun of "Christian". What is a Christian?

"a person who has received Christian baptism or is a believer in Christianity."

Same problem. So the definition of Christianity is definitely required.

Google knows all. So let's see. Google's definition of Christianity:

"the religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus Christ, or its beliefs and practices."

So basically... if you are a person who is a believer in the religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus Christ, or you are a person who is a believer in the beliefs and practices of said religion or you are baptised under Christianity... then you are a Christian. At least in some sense.

So I am a Christian in one sense merely because I was baptised. So let's discard that sense because there's no fucking way I am a Christian.

So, going in reverse, what about the sense of being a believer in the briefs and practices of Christianity? Well, it's when you genuinely believe in all of Jesus Christ's teachings as described in the Bible. So if you do, you're a Christian in that sense, if you don't, you're not.

The supposed problem there is that different Christians disagree over what Jesus Christ taught. I say "supposed problem" because it's not really a problem... in the sense that if you've got the interpretation right you're a Christian and if you haven't then you're not. If you're actually following what he taught then you are, and if you're not then you aren't no matter how much you think you are.

The problem is in knowing whether you're a Christian not. And that's a different problem to whether you actually are. Truth is different to knowledge.

So there you go. Step 1 in becoming a Christian: Believe that you are a Christian following the teachings of Christ Step 2: Actually correctly follow whatever Christ taught The only real step required: Actually correctly follow whatever Christ taught. No Christian identity or profession required. But this does include believing in all the miracles Jesus described and the fact that he was the son of God, and that he rose from the dead, etc... not just all the practical teachings. So yeah... I bet you Christian folks hope you got it right because identifying as Christian and believing that you believe is irrelevant. You have to actually get right what you believe in! Wrong interpretation of the teachings of Christ=not a Christian.
minimum basic belief ??

Donald Trump is the second coming.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 4, 2018 at 8:55 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: minimum basic belief ??

Let him receive a bullet in the head to be certain.
~ Erin Hunter
Needs to be Biblical.

Like incurable yaws and goiters.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 4, 2018 at 8:59 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Needs to be Biblical.

Like incurable yaws and goiters.

Nah.

It can be anything from which he arises from being dead. Bullet in the head does it.
~ Erin Hunter
(May 4, 2018 at 8:55 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: minimum basic belief ??

The useless old fuck is lucky if he can come once.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Satisfaction Correlated with Religious Belief Neo-Scholastic 38 3292 September 10, 2022 at 4:35 am
Last Post: Niblo
  Belief in white Jesus linked to racism Foxaèr 91 5883 January 1, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1691 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  The Dunning-Kruger Effect and Religious Belief AFTT47 18 4003 March 11, 2019 at 7:19 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  When is a Religious Belief Delusional? Neo-Scholastic 266 25380 September 12, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 6671 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Knowledge, belief, and honesty. Mystic 29 3751 March 19, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  How to become a God, in 3 simple steps (absent faith/belief): ProgrammingGodJordan 91 14476 November 28, 2016 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Do people hate the actual belief in God, or just the religious organizations? goombah111 101 25206 November 14, 2016 at 4:19 am
Last Post: goombah111
  An omniscient, non-decietful entity tells you what the right 'belief' is... Cecelia 4 2481 September 18, 2015 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho