Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism program
Atheism program
There's help available for people quitting substance addiction

admitting that one cannot control one's addiction or compulsion;
recognizing a higher power that can give strength;
examining past errors with the help of a sponsor (experienced member)
;making amends for these errors
;learning to live a new life with a new code of behavior
;helping others who suffer from the same addictions or compulsions.

So is their like a 12 step program or a stages of grief thing for new atheists.

Stage one seems to be Disillusionment.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
RE: Atheism program
I shouldn't think there would be a need for such a programme. While I can't speak from personal experience (I can't recall a time when I wasn't an atheist), most of the people who move from belief to atheism do so gradually, often over a period of years. This gives them a significant amount of time to adjust - sort of a 'built-in' 12-step.

Rather than grief, most 'new' atheists I've met express a profound joy and a sense of freedom.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
In reality it is more like the Kübler-Ross phases of a dying faith Big Grin
Stage two. Don't accept any blame ... Not your fault the product failed to meet expectations....

Your support group is here Jacob. As if you didn't know! Tongue

Equip yourself with knowledge. Life sucks the energy right out of you but that is what alcohol is for! Cheers!

Don't feel bad that you need to give yourself some me time!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
This is exactly why I joined this forums. Being someone who was religious most of her life it can be quite a shock when you sever your ties with religion especially when it's a religion like Islam. I've lost pretty much my entire social circle. My life revolved around the masjid. Given now I feel free to choose my own interests, and how I would really like to spend my time...not how god commands me to spend my time; but at the same time it leaves me with a huge hole in my life that is going to take some time to refill. Thats where a support group (or a forums in this case) comes it. It helps bridge that gap by providing somewhat of a community to talk with, share experiences etc. I think it's hard for a non-religious person to really understand the feelings/emotions that come from giving up a religion. Sure once you realise that it's all nonsense it seems likely to say "It's no problem to give it up, it was false anyway", but in reality it's much harder.

I don't know if a 12 step programme would be worthwhile, but a support group involving others who left religion could be beneficial. Maybe a thread for that would be something to think about? A place where ex-religious people can come to share experiences/give support to one another?

Hope this makes sense..no coffee yet this morning Tongue
[Image: 1509277_363796590425193_1433975890_n.jpg]
My deconversion went like this.

Christian > Confused Christian > Cynical christian > Angry christian > Confused Agnostic > Decided Atheist > Anti-theist.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
It is hard at first to leave one's comfort zone of religion. I struggled to make sense of the world after abandoning Christianity, because my identity and world view were wrapped up in it.

For some former believers, it's a quick easier break, but for some, it's a process. Let yourself feel what you feel. Post your feelings here if this is your only outlet to talking with like minded people. Most of my atheist friends have been atheists all of their lives, so when I was going through a sort of transitioning phase, they didn't understand really. They were comforting but they didn't fully understand.

Be patient with the process and know that it may take you some time to "figure it all out." I was a Christian up until about four years ago, so I understand what you are going through.

In the long run, I think you'll see how much happier you will be. :-)
(March 20, 2014 at 7:43 am)Brakeman Wrote: My deconversion went like this.

Christian > Confused Christian > Cynical christian > Angry christian > Confused Agnostic > Decided Atheist > Anti-theist.

That's actually quite useful to know!
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
I went Christian - Confused Christian - Very Liberal Christian - Reluctant Atheist - Pissed Atheist - Ambivalent Atheist
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
"The Kübler-Ross model, or the five stages of grief, is a series of emotional stages experienced when faced with impending death or death of someone. The five stages are denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27168 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Currently living in a "Christian Program." Secular Atheist 23 6314 July 29, 2015 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12497 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12162 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10504 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12022 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38103 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack