Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone here play Star Trek Online
Anyone here play Star Trek Online
I'm a Trekkie guilty as charged.

Just wondering if anyone else plays it or not? It's FTP, which is what dragged me in Sad
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
RE: Anyone here play Star Trek Online
I don't play myself, but I have a friend who plays religiously. It looks quite interesting but my laptop struggles with 3D graphics due to the crappy A6 CPU.GPU :/
I've considered playing before, but I know absolutely nobody who plays. Maybe I'll give it a shot now Smile I'm assuming you'd considering it worth downloading since you play, but in general is it a decent game? How does it compare to EQ/EQ2/WoW/Eve?
[Image: 1509277_363796590425193_1433975890_n.jpg]
Well i'll be honest and say I've never played another MMORPGs. I started playing STO because It was FTP online and the grinding to get better stuff isn't so bad.

Pros:
- It's star trek and it's free, and it's pretty full every day of players.
- Playing against and with other players on co-operative stuff can be really fun and rewarding, especially on big space missions
- New ships, designs, and factions (currently you can play as FED, Klingons and Romulans) are pretty sweet and updated fairly regular. Also follows stories through (I think most are considered cannon) from the various series
- Very good customisation of both your ship's exterior and interior as well as your captain, bridge officers and crewmen.
- Joining fleets to get better equipment (at lv. 50 beyond) is simple, but getting the equipment requires a lot of grind.
- Cryptic sometimes give away free stuff and organise free events that give you good equipment/ships depending on how much time you want to invest.

Negatives:
- Ground combat. BORING AS HELL. Every other mission will require it, and you can upgrade your levels on it, but really I'd just concentrate everything on space missions and 'get by' on the ground missions even if you die every now and again.
- Literally no point in trying to anything outside the story missions until Level 50 as equipment/ships/character traits are all useless until you reach the top level (luckily you can level to 50 within a couple of weeks with a decent amount of time invested - Cryptic sometimes do double XP weekends every other month as well. It took me 3 days of intense playing to level my romulan captain to lv 50, although I didn't pay any attention to the story missions and just clicked through the dialogue to finish missions)
- Can be expensive to level up to much more powerful ships - STO beyond level 50 is really fun for PvE (against computer with or without a team) and PvP (against players who have also reached lv.50). PvE doesn't matter so much as long as you've gota decent ship, but in PvP you will need something with considerable firepower to match even medicore players. This involves a LOT of grinding or just paying out for better stuff. But the for the really, really good stuff you need both, which puts a lot of people off, including me to a degree).
- Similar to above, the very best equipment can only be gained through joining a fleet (easy) who has unlocked all the higher level starbase stuff (difficult), which you have to contribute to. Once this has been unlocked, you then need to do some personal grinding to get the items (very difficult). An example:

Fleets have bases (say, a star base or dilithium mine) that go from ranks 1 to 5. Rank 4/5 will unlock the very best fleet variants of ships (typically more powerful than non fleet variants which can either be bought for real money (converts to ZEN through cryptic) or gotten through grinding for in game money which is traded for equivalent credits/ZEN in game on an exchange. The latter can literally take months if you're a casual player, which I am.

Upgrading the base itself can also take months depending on how active the players are. Typically upgrading one level will require a few million of the required in game credits (usually dilithium, energy credits, 'experience points' and so on - No need to go into detail, just realise you need to grind for all 3), which can be quick depending on how many players are in the fleet and how active it is. Not so bad usually because most big fleets have open invites and everyone can share the spoils.

Once it's upgraded you then need to grind to get the ship (my ship cost 2,500 zen, so around £20 or $30? - around 2 months work or so grinding in game dilithium which can then be traded on the exchange for zen, or for energy credits - complicated, again, no need to explain really). Once you've got that, and you want the very best weapons/consoles/duty officers (which add buffs to your ship), you then need to grind AGAIN , which when fully loaded probably cost 6 or 7 times the ship. To be clear, you can't get the best stuff outside of a fleet.

There's a few more pros and cons but those are the best and worst for me. Obviously you expect a level of grinding in any MMORPGs, but a lot of people level some criticism at cryptic with how much potentially there is. That said, Cryptic have allowed players who want it 'now' to simply buy it in most (but not all) cases.

There's also nothing better than flying in a fleet of borg with some friends and letting rip on the closest borg cube and helping/shielding downed friends who are taking a battering. Very fun.

I've also managed to grind/buy my way to a pretty awesome fleet battle cruiser for the Federation which can dish out a lot of punishment:

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Fleet_Avenger_Battle_Cruiser (also gives you a little example of how normal variant ships are inferior to the typically more expensive and more difficult to get fleet variants which require all the grinding). A lot of people on STO don't like the design, but for the style and class of ship it is (a cruiser which are usually big, Enterprise type ships) it's small, fast and compact. The little designs are also cool. Because it;s a through and through warship the windows are all closed during combat and replaced with a hard shell from the hull. I've also modded mine out with various Borg consoles (again, a lot of grinding - around 50+ Days) which have made by ship look like a borg vessel rather than a fed one (similar to this):

[Image: heartshope_borg_002.jpg]
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to write that review. I did start downloading the game earlier today before heading to class, and I've played through the tutorial. It's still all a bit confusing, and judging from your review the learning curve for this game is a little steep; but it's hard to find decent games that I can play on my mac so I'm glad I gave this one a shot. Thanks again for the review. It was convincing enough to get me to give it a try Smile
[Image: 1509277_363796590425193_1433975890_n.jpg]
(March 25, 2014 at 7:07 pm)OGirly Wrote: Wow, thanks for taking the time to write that review. I did start downloading the game earlier today before heading to class, and I've played through the tutorial. It's still all a bit confusing, and judging from your review the learning curve for this game is a little steep; but it's hard to find decent games that I can play on my mac so I'm glad I gave this one a shot. Thanks again for the review. It was convincing enough to get me to give it a try Smile

If you want to add me as a buddy just in case I'm Fidel@fidelcastronaut

Hope the game works out for you! I can send over spare stuff that I don't use when you get to lv. 50 that will make life a little easier until (or if) you're ready to grind.

I can also join you in single player missions as part of a team (if you're fed or romulan) so you can get through missions quicker and hence level up.

Of course, you need any guidance or FAQs let me know. I agree with your point about the steep learning curve. There's still a lot I'm not that clued up on too. Hope you enjoy it! Smile

Also, sorry about the grammar and spelling mistakes. Rushed it through whilst I was at lunch at work Sad my bad

I'm not really a fan of MMO's, this looks pretty tempting though. However the last MMO I played was the old republic, and that's one of my favourite franchises of all time. If that can't keep my interest I doubt this will Sad
(March 26, 2014 at 7:33 am)Napoléon Wrote: I'm not really a fan of MMO's, this looks pretty tempting though. However the last MMO I played was the old republic, and that's one of my favourite franchises of all time. If that can't keep my interest I doubt this will Sad

Yeah I loved TOR (specifically the single player ones - never played the MMO one).

I'm surprised how this has managed to keep my attention too tbh, but I think being apart of a fleet and assisting other members is a big part of why I play. Otherwise I doubt I'd bother in the long run as I've completed all the story missions.

I have a lvl 49 romulan science officer allied with the federation. I haven't been on in a couple months, but maybe I'll jump back on and play. I mainly like the game because of the space missions and I'm a trekkie. I gotta agree ground missions are so boring.
(March 27, 2014 at 1:12 pm)Asimm Wrote: I have a lvl 49 romulan science officer allied with the federation. I haven't been on in a couple months, but maybe I'll jump back on and play. I mainly like the game because of the space missions and I'm a trekkie. I gotta agree ground missions are so boring.

They really are. It's also why I can't stand the new Dyson reputation chain and the Dyson sphere in general. To get all the Dyson marks to level up it's almost entirely ground combat in their 'battle zone', and the rewards you get (Dyson space set, adapted space set etc) are inferior to the adapted Borg and MACO sets you get from the omega reputation chain.

Ugh. Never mind, I still enjoy the game. Like you I'm a massive Trekkie, so honestly it just feels good to fly around shooting things, heh.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upcoming games you want to play Foxaèr 13 2138 October 6, 2022 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Does anyone here like Doom? Lassic 40 5580 March 28, 2020 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Anyone here play GTA Online? copiedusername 2 691 December 17, 2019 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: copiedusername
  Would you play Pacman if he looked like this? Mechaghostman2 10 2234 November 4, 2019 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Destiny 2 base game will go Free to play Cepheus Ace 0 379 June 7, 2019 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Does anyone here have any favorite SNES games? ƵenKlassen 18 2651 November 18, 2017 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Let's play Holy Text misprints! FebruaryOfReason 0 564 February 22, 2016 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Star Wars Battlefront Napoléon 26 4068 January 7, 2016 at 10:23 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Does anyone play CAH? Losty 2 892 September 24, 2015 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Losty
  Star Wars: The Old Republic Napoléon 13 2399 September 2, 2015 at 6:23 am
Last Post: Napoléon