Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Writing Books
Writing Books
Why is it now everyone and their mom thinks they're the next Homer, when it comes to writing books? Just because you can hold a pen doesn't mean you're meant to write. Yet somehow now every bored housewife and twelve year old with a keyboard wants to be on the best seller list. How did the art of writing get to this state?
RE: Writing Books
(March 22, 2014 at 11:17 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Why is it now everyone and their mom thinks they're the next Homer, when it comes to writing books? Just because you can hold a pen doesn't mean you're meant to write. Yet somehow now every bored housewife and twelve year old with a keyboard wants to be on the best seller list. How did the art of writing get to this state?

I think it's always been this way. Literate people have always written, the generations have just filtered out the crap. Nobody will remember star wars fan fic in 500 years.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Not helped by the fact that with the advent of the internet, any writer can potentially have an audience of millions if he/she gets enough publicity, no matter how good or bad they may be.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
It's not that I mind people writing for pleasure, indeed i think that's the original purpose of fan fiction. But I realize that my hen pecks are just for Ao3. Why do other writers have these delusions of grandeur?
It's called ambition.
Sorry for the long post in advance, but read all of it anyway.

It's like this. People think that "writing" is just putting your thoughts on paper, or these days, in text, more like, and that what they think is IMPORTANT and TRUE and UNIVERSAL. Absolutely EVERYONE thinks this. On the latter part, it just so happens that only some people are correct, in the eyes of the masses. I guess in their own eyes, they're totally correct.

They do not realize that there exists this whole world full of people who are serious about writing and think IT IS NOT A MOTHERFUCKING GAME. They do not realize that being a GOOD writer is not just automatic. It takes work and skill and talent. They do not know that writing is a craft, and an art, and a goddamn harsh mistress. They have not poured years into it.

If it I start to sound bitter, it's because I have been writing creatively literally since I learned how to write the letters of the alphabet. The only other thing I learned in school that had an impact on my writing was I learned the rules of spelling and grammar. That shit was important to me and I never forgot a damn word that was spoken to me of it. That helped my writing to be coherent and at least credible enough that people would be willing to read it. Everything else, I learned either intuitively, through my own research, or directly from successful authors (although to be fair, I had access to some of those authors due to my school placing a huge importance on reading and writing). In second grade, they wanted to test me for "giftedness," and determined that I was "gifted" in Creative Writing. Basically, this meant I wrote something that actually interested them, from a totally boring routine writing prompt. I can't think of how to explain what I did without the details, so here they are. The prompt was something like, "describe your dream house" and I proceeded to use up all the provided space to describe something like a futuristic underwater castle under a dome on some planet in deep space. I can't remember exactly what it was. But it was something like that. That was how I did ALL my writing assignments, you see. If I found them boring, I fucking MADE them interesting. And I included sarcasm because the teachers loved the shit out of it.

So, you see, as a child, I had potential. But I wanted more than that. I wanted to be GOOD. I didn't know or care if I was going to make this a career, but I wanted to be good for the sake of being good at something. When my 6th grade year went horribly, I considered applying to a (technically public, but you needed to be accepted to get in) local arts school. I even went as far as shadowing a student that went there and was taking their writing program. I even took their summer class for writing, and I learned a lot of things about writing I did not know, but I also learned that I was not GOOD enough for that school. Maybe I would get in, but I would definitely feel inferior to everyone else there. So I decided not to apply there.

I continued to write in my off time mostly because it was therapeutic and I enjoyed it, but apparently, totally without my noticing it, I was changing and getting better all the time. Then when I was much older, sometime around high school age, my mother payed for me to attend a summer writing camp which was run by a local college for my students of high school age. I think I was the youngest one there, but that was not the awkward part. What my mother did not know was that this writing camp was designed for young promising black students who showed promise in their writing. I was the only white kid there. At least there was also one hispanic kid. For some reason we did not have any interest in trying at all to be close friends there. I found other kids in the group that I felt got me because they were more mature or geeky than the others. But a lot of the field trips were designed to inspire the class as writers because of their black identity. As you know, I am all about social justice for everyone and I'm really passionate about race issues, especially because it is so important here in Alabama and central to absolutely everything here, so it turned out I fit in perfectly. I hope none of them secretly thought I was trying to be politically correct and do what I thought they wanted me to do in those situations, because I was totally, completely, unapologetically genuine. I think they got that. But of course, I can't be certain.

Anyway, what I learned from taking this class was that I could write any kind of thing on command from any prompt and it would be GOOD. People would be moved by it. They would really connect with it. So, I entered college as an English major with a concentration in creative writing. Then I found out their "creative writing program" didn't actually involve much creative writing. So I was like, "Well, I guess I won't be choosing a career in writing, then. Good, because I don't want to die drunk and penniless as a bum on the street anyway."

I'll just tell you the rest of this story, because it's good. That semester, I took ANTH 101, which happened to be an introduction to cultural anthropology. It was kismet. I swear I had no idea that anthropology was even a thing. The only anthropologist I had ever heard of was Jane Goodall, and I had only heard her described as a primatologist, which I thought was just, like, a really specific branch of biology. I was like, "You're telling me that I can just study humans and culture and someone will PAY me for it? Do you realize that culture is literally everything? So basically, I can get paid to study whatever the FUCK I want, I can get MONEY for it? And I could study several totally completely different things over my lifetime and it would all be called anthropology and it would be an actual job? And it is somehow an art and a science AT THE SAME TIME?" Mind. Blown. I don't know if I've ever been so excited about the possibilities before me at any other point in my life, and I'm a very excitable person. I immediately changed my major to Anthropology. And I know now, if I were hired to actually do anthropology, I would be so, so happy, and so fulfilled. There are lots of jobs, actually, that could make me really, really happy. I'm so glad that I discovered this could be one such thing.

Now that you know all that, imagine if I had taken an introductory philosophy class instead. As many options as anthropology gives you, philosophy is literally just asking questions about ANYTHING. Even asking questions about questions is philosophy. It is the thing that all intellectual study and discussion has stemmed from in the course of human history. AND YOU CAN BE PAID TO DO IT. I want to be a philosopher as a career, however, because in order to actually get paid to do philosophy, you pretty much have to be in academia. In anthropology, by contrast, you can do anthropology for any kind of employer that will hire you to do it, which includes academia, the government, museums, even marketing companies. However, I will not work for a marketing company unless I really have to, because that would be using the powers of anthropology for evil.
I suppose I could be considered one those literary individuals most others despise. I consider myself a writer, not because I want to write the next great American novel but because I enjoy the art of writing. I do not consider it a hobby. I enjoy writing to the effect that I consider myself a real writer despite the fact that I am not writing something that real readers would consider amazing literature. Writing is expressing one's self to the world in a way that speaks more of the author than of the audience, at least in my view.

Literary snobs annoy me just as much as art snobs or any other type of snobs do, because they do not and cannot label great writing for the rest of the world. What they consider great, is not great to everyone. Their subjective views do not make it universally accepted that Jane Austen was an amazing writer; in fact, I find her writing to be tedious and boring, as I do find most classic literature.

People who like to write should not be criticized by literary snobs, because at least they are writing. They are creatively bringing something different and new into the world that others can enjoy. They should be praised for honing their literary skills and being artistic.

One's opinion that a writer is bad does not make it a universal truth, just as the opposite is also true. One's opinion that a writer is great does not make it a universal truth.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
The world is at our finger tips, we all like to make an impression on the world, I wrote a book, but only because some people thought I should, and I have to say it did feel good, I say if you can do it then do it, why not ?.
(March 25, 2014 at 1:19 am)psychoslice Wrote: I say if you can do it then do it, why not ?.
Because of the reasons everyone in this thread said about "why not". That's why not. You will know if you read this thread, and if you still don't know "why not," I don't think there is any hope that you will ever know "why not."
(March 25, 2014 at 1:42 am)futilethewinds Wrote:
(March 25, 2014 at 1:19 am)psychoslice Wrote: I say if you can do it then do it, why not ?.
Because of the reasons everyone in this thread said about "why not". That's why not. You will know if you read this thread, and if you still don't know "why not," I don't think there is any hope that you will ever know "why not."

Well that was a head spinner lol.Thinking

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favourite books/author The Valkyrie 50 2657 April 28, 2021 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Most Awful Books Ever The Architect Of Fate 18 1411 June 19, 2020 at 3:45 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  atheism books recommendations WolfsChild 8 982 May 24, 2019 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Books Icy 55 4346 November 27, 2018 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  My writing Foxaèr 5 565 August 23, 2018 at 4:56 am
Last Post: Azu
  20 books considered the worst Foxaèr 29 4511 July 21, 2018 at 3:05 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Finished writing my novel Foxaèr 7 596 February 13, 2018 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Let's Talk About Books Shell B 65 7621 January 22, 2018 at 1:12 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question in relation to television series writing Foxaèr 1 754 October 29, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Question for those who read Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara books Foxaèr 2 756 October 12, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr