Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jesus should be put back in the government!
Exclamation 
Jesus should be put back in the government!
Are you aware that that Jesus should be put back into the government?
I had no idea. Yeah right.

I read this email from my grandma with tons of pictures of "Jesus" that said something along the lines of That without Jesus, our country will spiral downwards, atheists are trying to keep Jesus out of the government and things of that nature.

This just really pissed me off, and it is one of those emails that people forward to everyone else on their entire list. It is so wrong on so many levels, not only pushing a certain religion on the the government, but discriminating against every other belief/nonbelief. ;\\

I'm not sure what I'm asking for, I guess just some personal relief from the stress of reading that email. I love to hear AF's opinion! Big Grin
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
RE: Jesus should be put back in the government!
Here in the US I'm pretty sure we have division of church and state. However the overall need is that the Nation as a whole lacks a goal. We could be a rabble of artists and thinkers and militant militia, but without a common goal there is no need for the states to be united. While I abhor chain email, especially religious ones, one can't deny that the undercurrents of society play a great part in the government of that society. If this were a predominantly atheist nation then it would be a lot harder to be in political office if you were religious and vice-versa. My 2 cents on it.
Not really. In secular countries it doesn't matter what your religion is, all that matters is that you are capable of doing your job. So I dispute that in a predominantly atheist nation that it would be a lot harder to be in political office if you were religious.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I should restate then. In a predominantly atheist county with a strong religious undercurrent in society, being religious would been seen as a hinderance to being in politcal office. I attribute this to the argumentative nature of 2 opposing parties in a culture imposing their personal agendas in a public arena such as politics and the polarizing affect of conflict in society.
I'm as opposed to atheist countries as I'm opposed to theocracies. Secularism is the only answer because secularism doesn't place any religious belief (or lack thereof) above any other. In a true secular democracy, you would have Christian politicians, Hindu politicians, Muslim politicians, Wiccan politicians, Scientologist politicians, and atheist politicians. People have a right to believe what they want, and that shouldn't affect their eligibility to run for public office.
Attack has a point.

Just as publicly announcing you are anything but xtian here in America is political suicide so would it be if America was of a predominatly athieistic populous and one announced they were xtian.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(December 16, 2009 at 9:44 am)Dotard Wrote: Attack has a point.

Just as publicly announcing you are anything but xtian here in America is political suicide so would it be if America was of a predominatly athieistic populous and one announced they were xtian.

Spookily the exact opposite is true here in England were Tony Blair advertised that he didnt do religion when in fact he was deeply devout.
If he had advertised his faith he would have been dismissed as a religious nutter and stood no chance of election.
The last thing you want in government is people who take things on faith, you end up going to war on hunches....

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Like George W. The born again freak. Born agains are the worst. They're like reformed smokers. Always pushing their agenda. That's why in Washington state you have to stand 25 feet from any outside door way if you want to light up. Ridiculous.
binnyCoffee
I highly doubt that. Tony Blair would have won regardless. He was an adamant secularist whilst he was in office, and has since seemingly rejected that notion in favour of a theocracy.

Have people really forgotten that the UK isn't a secular country? We have a national religion! There are clergy in the House of Lords (12 of them, at ALL times...as a REQUIREMENT). For fuck's sake, wake up people.
Quote:However the overall need is that the Nation as a whole lacks a goal.

Absurd. Conspicuous consumption is our national goal.

Besides, what about those of us who don't give a shit about jesus or the truly asinine things that the gospel writers put in his mouth?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5150 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  You Put Absolutely NO Thought Into This Astonished 45 9904 August 28, 2017 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Well i thought id put this here dyresand 3 1346 November 2, 2015 at 10:08 am
Last Post: dyresand
  For God Is So Worried Where You Put Your Dick.... Minimalist 16 2865 February 27, 2015 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Working to put "church" in public schools Foxaèr 6 1435 January 20, 2015 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  If the Exodus didn't happen, the Jews wouldn't put themselves under the Mosaic law Dolorian 57 13275 November 5, 2014 at 7:23 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7233 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Jesus should have been a king. Chad32 58 16835 May 19, 2014 at 8:50 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  If Jesus came back to life....what was his sacrifice? Ucaslog1 101 31697 November 27, 2013 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  What if Jesus came back, but discounted much of the bible as heretical, would you still follow him? Brakeman 9 2932 February 6, 2013 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: Ryantology