Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Science and religion co-exist?
Can Science and religion co-exist?
Just wanted to get your thoughts. I don't think they can.

manowar
RE: Can Science and religion co-exist?
I agree. Religion teaches things that are demonstrably wrong and which science has proved. It is incompatible unless the theists uses amazing mental gymnastics to make it so that they believe in both. This is one of the reasons I dislike religion so much. We are too tolerant of peoples beliefs and even though people get hurt because of them, we still do nothing. Look at that snake handler guy that died because he believed the venom wouldn't hurt him.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
No. Taking things on faith itself is profoundly unscien-fucking-tific.
Question is a category error. Science is a method. Religion is a sociological construct. Clearly both exist, so in the crude sense the answer is yes. However one can't really make a direct link between the two.

FAITH is a method. Faith and science cannot be USED in conjunction. But then again chilli and ice cream can't be used in conjunction either (unless you have a weird pallete). They do however coexist.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Why would I want it to coexist? Religion is fucking stupid.
If we're talking about coexisting in one person's set of beliefs, no, I don't think they can.

If we're talking about competing methods of gaining knowledge, they can, but only if religion learns to respect boundaries. It tends to have a problem with that.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
However religion and science can coexist in one mind if you are as fucked up as John Lennox is.
(March 29, 2014 at 10:15 am)tor Wrote: However religion and science can coexist in one mind if you are as fucked up as John Lennox is.

Of course it can.

In an abstract sense, both exist, therefore they co-exist. In a personal sense, since there have been religious scientists, they certainly can. I mean in that sense science also co-exists with alcaholism, mental illness and diabetes.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(March 29, 2014 at 10:15 am)tor Wrote: However religion and science can coexist in one mind if you are as fucked up as John Lennox is.

I don't know who that is, but my dad has a Ph.D. in organic chemistry and calls himself a Christian. I called him out about it one time when I was telling him that I didn't believe in god. I asked him how he could just throw all of the principles of science that he raised me to use and still be a Christian. He eventually said that it was a matter of faith and it was dropped. I have never talked to him about it since, but I can tell he gets uncomfortable when I mention religion.

I think it's because he's conflicted about being a scientist and having faith in Jesus, and he's worried that I might push the issue. For instance, when I was younger, he was always ripping on Y.E.C.'s and how silly they were for going against science. Now, whenever I make I fun of Y.E.C.'s he just kind of gives out this uncomfortable chuckle.

My dad is certainly not fucked up and is easily the most intelligent, well-educated person I know, but I think he's suffering cognitive dissonance from his conflicting worldviews.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 29, 2014 at 10:26 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote:

Of course it can.

In an abstract sense, both exist, therefore they co-exist. In a personal sense, since there have been religious scientists, they certainly can. I mean in that sense science also co-exists with alcaholism, mental illness and diabetes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1035 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1997 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5791 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38816 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  Why science and religious fatih need not be in conflict: It's as easy as 1-2-3! Whateverist 123 37214 May 15, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7830 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  "God doesn't Exist"- Claim or Conclusion RiddledWithFear 105 18295 December 28, 2016 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "God doesn't Exist just like Unicorns don't Exist?" RiddledWithFear 17 2965 December 21, 2016 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  I am a pixieist, what do you think of my proof that universe creating pixies exist? Simon Moon 69 10798 November 13, 2016 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Expired