Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Big Bang Theory (TV Show) Bugbear (Nerd Alert)
The Big Bang Theory (TV Show) Bugbear (Nerd Alert)
I really like the Big Bang Theory, it's one of my favourite shows, but...

It is nagging at the back of my nerdy mind that in the Second Season episode 'The Codpiece Topology' where the guys visit a renaissance fair Sheldon is heard to say,

"It was rife with historical inaccuracies... "

A few minutes later he then says,

"That was not fifteenth century soap, my God those people need to learn you can’t just put “ye olde” in front of anything and expect to get away with it."

This really bugs me. The 'Y' used in 'Ye' is not a 'Y' but the Middle English letter 'thorn',

[Image: EME_ye.svg]
which is pronounced 'th'.

So Sheldon, being the smarty pants of the group and ought to know better, should have pronounced it "the" not "yee" (this goes for anyone who pronounces it as "yee" [ji] and not 'the'). He was wrong.

I feel much better now I got that off my chest.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
RE: The Big Bang Theory (TV Show) Bugbear (Nerd Alert)
(March 31, 2014 at 10:02 am)ManMachine Wrote: I really like the Big Bang Theory, it's one of my favourite shows, but...

It is nagging at the back of my nerdy mind that in the Second Season episode 'The Codpiece Topology' where the guys visit a renaissance fair Sheldon is heard to say,

"It was rife with historical inaccuracies... "

A few minutes later he then says,

"That was not fifteenth century soap, my God those people need to learn you can’t just put “ye olde” in front of anything and expect to get away with it."

This really bugs me. The 'Y' used in 'Ye' is not a 'Y' but the Middle English letter 'thorn',

[Image: EME_ye.svg]
which is pronounced 'th'.

So Sheldon, being the smarty pants of the group and ought to know better, should have pronounced it "the" not "yee" (this goes for anyone who pronounces it as "yee" [ji] and not 'the'). He was wrong.

I feel much better now I got that off my chest.

MM

You are our very own ''Sheldon.'' Big Grin
I choose to think that Sheldon knew the correct way Ye was pronounced but used that phrase to have a go at the fair.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Of course the writers are going to make mistakes. They're fallible.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Nice. I can definitely relate.

This is the same reason I cannot enjoy the movie 'Gravity.' I feel like you ask just one physicist. Just one. And George Clooney is still alive.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 31, 2014 at 10:07 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: I choose to think that Sheldon knew the correct way Ye was pronounced but used that phrase to have a go at the fair.

I think Sheldon would make a point of highlighting the inaccuracy, or at least give us a direct reference to underline his cleverness over the organisers of the fair.

But, it's off my chest now, I can sleep. Ubergeek
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
I KNOW!

I rationalize it thusly though: 1. Sheldon quoth the people enacting the renaissance fair, and might be commenting on their lack of old English knowledge by using the wrong pronunciation
2. Sheldon decides that he can only accurately portray the literal writing by spellyng out the characters in a modernized version. Otherwise, it would have simply sounded ðə oʊld, i.e. the same as today.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Who knows what really happened @ the time the universe came into being. The big Bang theory is just one attempt @ explanation of what may have happened!
(April 3, 2014 at 3:20 am)hadee41 Wrote: Who knows what really happened @ the time the universe came into being. The big Bang theory is just one attempt @ explanation of what may have happened!

Apart from your post being hilariously off topic... can you succinctly summarize what the evidence for the big bang theory is according to the current scientific consensus, and then add your critique @ the end?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I like the BBT (the sitcom) somehow, Sheldon makes me feel alot less weirder about knowing science Big Grin

As to the real BBT, there was no bang. Where there is no time or space, therefore no air to propagate the sound that would constitute a 'bang'. [/sheldon]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alert Survival Check-in Foxaèr 21 1005 October 5, 2023 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  US National Alert System, aka Satan's Whistle. Gawdzilla Sama 10 658 October 5, 2023 at 1:07 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Black Pill Dating Theory? FrustratedFool 143 6305 August 30, 2023 at 6:11 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Which TV game show would you win? Fake Messiah 6 804 January 18, 2023 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Conversations with the big guy Angrboda 18 1428 December 2, 2021 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  The Big Lie of Vegans. onlinebiker 20 1220 July 5, 2020 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: brewer
  was it my big boobs or just the wrong stool funcouple 8 920 August 30, 2019 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Deal alert -- just bought The God Delusion for $3.73 Jehanne 5 718 March 16, 2019 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Peterkin
  How to know your SO is a nerd. Gawdzilla Sama 11 1119 August 29, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The Big Five brewer 55 5414 April 6, 2018 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger