Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 4:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nother newbie
nother newbie
Hi there,

My name is Sean, a newbie on this forum. Although I guess I have been an Atheist for well over 10 years, just didn't care too much to discuss it till recently.

I come from a Catholic family, so my background is probably familiar to many here. Gave up on the church whilst in my teens and sort of made my mind up shortly after.

Wink Shades
RE: nother newbie
Welcome Sean, I hope you enjoy your stay here.
Freedom is the ability to march to the beat of a different drummer without fear of retribution. Secularone

Ignorance is bliss but understanding is wonderful. Atheist forums.org
Welcome Northerner.
(December 19, 2009 at 4:02 pm)Northerner Wrote: Hi there,

My name is Sean, a newbie on this forum. Although I guess I have been an Atheist for well over 10 years, just didn't care too much to discuss it till recently.

I come from a Catholic family, so my background is probably familiar to many here. Gave up on the church whilst in my teens and sort of made my mind up shortly after.

Wink Shades
Welcome Northerner.

But beware, in discussion with theists I have found that a religious background does not the least grant you any expertise on the phenomenon of believing from first person experience. Only the ones who still sell their poor souls to the supernatural charade can truly account of this.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Thanks everyone.. Wink

(December 19, 2009 at 5:52 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: Welcome Northerner.

But beware, in discussion with theists I have found that a religious background does not the least grant you any expertise on the phenomenon of believing from first person experience. Only the ones who still sell their poor souls to the supernatural charade can truly account of this.

Tell me about it.. Just last month my girlfriends uncle (a baptist) was amazed that I could reject the Bible, we had a long debate after he tried to convert me. Although my limited knowledge of the bible was far greater than his, he still thought I was the deluded one...

Wink Shades

Welcome Sean, from another recovering Catholic,and G'day from Adelaide South Australia.

(Good Irish name. Do you have the great good fortune to be Irish?)
Welcome Sean Smile

(December 19, 2009 at 5:52 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: But beware, in discussion with theists I have found that a religious background does not the least grant you any expertise on the phenomenon of believing from first person experience. Only the ones who still sell their poor souls to the supernatural charade can truly account of this.

In other words - growing up in a household where something was practiced by someone else and not by you usually means you know jack shit about said practice in actual fact. Only if you make a reasoned 'choice' could you ever pretend to understand anyone else who has done so, unlike the likes of rabbit who knows very little about what he's talking about when it comes to faith, in fact he's pretty ignorant. In these times he's in good company with eloquent fools like Dawkins to follow.

Wink Shades

Welcome to AF.

Why didn't you care to discuss it?
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
(December 19, 2009 at 8:17 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Welcome Sean Smile

In other words - growing up in a household where something was practiced by someone else and not by you usually means you know jack shit about said practice in actual fact. Only if you make a reasoned 'choice' could you ever pretend to understand anyone else who has done so, unlike the likes of rabbit who knows very little about what he's talking about when it comes to faith, in fact he's pretty ignorant. In these times he's in good company with eloquent fools like Dawkins to follow.

Oh, but I did practice as a Catholic when I was younger. I recall going to church with school friends on a Sunday, then spending a few hours in the social club at the back of the church drinking coca cola and playing snooker.. At the time that was a good day, and the odd teacher from school would see us and we would get a few brownie points in school for being good boys.

I was also noted for being knowledgeable in Religious Education, although I did upset my teacher sometimes with questions he could not answer. But for years after I left school I became apathetic about Religion, joking that on my death bed I will receive last rites and go to heaven like a good Catholic..

I think it was 9/11 that made me more aware and prompted me to become more outspoken as an Atheist. After all, I seem to have one of those faces that makes people try to convert me, so I am only too happy to continue the conversation for a few hours until the other person gives up or I get too tired and go home.

I have religious friends, some of them Muslim. My girlfriend is a devout Catholic! And I have family members who go to Church every day.. I know religion, I even once tried to believe. But I am unable to accept it any longer..
I am glad you have opened your eyes Sean. I have tried to believe to, but I am unable to accept it as well.

@frodo, I hope within you post, especially the last sentance, that you are joking.
Freedom is the ability to march to the beat of a different drummer without fear of retribution. Secularone

Ignorance is bliss but understanding is wonderful. Atheist forums.org

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey all... newbie decloaking! wchanley 33 3537 February 19, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Newbie from UK Lucian 4 872 September 9, 2022 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Newbie from UK Lucian 4 970 September 9, 2022 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Lucian
  Hi from a newbie here TrueNorth 16 1330 August 10, 2022 at 4:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Another newbie:) Agnostic1 7 979 November 18, 2021 at 10:12 am