Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Pickles: Britain still a Christian nation – get over it
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014...n-atheists

"Eric Pickles: Britain still a Christian nation – get over it
Communities secretary calls on militant atheists to stop imposing 'politically correct intolerance' on UK's Christians"

Communities secretary calls on militant atheists to stop imposing 'politically correct intolerance' on UK's Christians

Eric Pickles
Pickles has previously accused the former Labour government of 'diminishing Christianity'. Photograph: Stefan Rousseau/PA

"Militant atheists" should accept that Britain is a Christian country and "get over it", the communities secretary Eric Pickles said yesterday.

Pickles changed the law in 2012 to ensure that English parish councils could not face legal challenges for including prayers in public meetings, and accused the last Labour government of "diminishing Christianity" by suggesting that religion and politics could not mix.

The minister told delegates at the Conservative spring forum in London that non-believers should not be able to impose "politically correct intolerance" on others.

"I've stopped an attempt by militant atheists to ban councils having prayers at the start of meetings if they wish," said Pickles. "Heaven forbid. We're a Christian nation. We have an established church. Get over it. And don't impose your politically correct intolerance on others."

Pickles also said that the government had backed British values by stopping Whitehall from "appeasing extremism", whether it came from the English Defence League, militant Islamists or "the thuggish hard left".

"They're all as bad as each other," he said.

Well.... comments anyone??
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Eric Pickles: Britain still a Christian nation – get over it
He should name his children "Dill" and "Sweet."

Oh, the "Christian nation" crap. Laughable. I like the part where he pushed for legislation so they could pray at public meetings without worrying about legal challenges. Because as we all know, Christians already lack for opportunities to pray to god.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
downbeatplumb beat you to this thread: http://atheistforums.org/thread-25277.html
(April 7, 2014 at 3:51 pm)Insanity Wrote: downbeatplumb beat you to this thread: http://atheistforums.org/thread-25277.html

hhmmm... missed it! (is there a way to search for this kind of thing on the forum?)

For the first time in my life I have sent an email to a politician (I feel dirty!) I told the mighty eric to stop wasting my tax money at council meetings to spend time chatting to his invisible friend. I also pointed out that if Britain was a christian nation the churches would be full every Sunday (they aren't)

BTW he is at [email protected]
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anti-immigration..does Right wing still fools masses? WinterHold 106 4787 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is there a continent in history where Britain never went too? Sweden83 21 1162 December 5, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Who Still Thinks Joe Biden Will Be The Nomine? ReptilianPeon 90 6610 March 11, 2020 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  And TheTrumptard Will Still Not Care.... Minimalist 8 1064 August 1, 2018 at 6:58 am
Last Post: Aroura
  That's odd...I thought we were a nation of laws? GODZILLA 24 4846 June 25, 2018 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Britain's Russia Collusion Scandal Foxaèr 3 604 June 23, 2018 at 7:45 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Evidently, we're still living in 1974... Rev. Rye 25 4286 June 4, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  We may have different points of view but can we still be friends? GODZILLA 26 3715 May 30, 2018 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  You Were Stupid. Will You Still Be Stupid in 2020? Minimalist 39 5114 May 15, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why Are We Still In Afghanistan? Minimalist 12 3805 June 19, 2017 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: NuclearEnergy