Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christmas should be Renamed.
Christmas should be Renamed.
I propose X-mas be called "Santa Lumberjack Day".
I'm wondering what else I can call it because xmas doesn't roll off the tongue as well as christmas does and I'd like to be able to express my stance in one reference instead of playing out the old 'what are your thoughts on xmas' dialogue.

Just for shits and giggles.
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
RE: Christmas should be Renamed.
I suggest that this year we call it "Friday."

Next year we can see what it needs to be called!
Tomorrow (23rd December) is the big day - The Festivus for the rest of us:

The holiday, as portrayed in the "Seinfeld" episode and now celebrated by many, includes practices such as the "Airing of Grievances", which occurs during the Festivus meal and in which each person tells everyone else all the ways they have disappointed him or her over the past year. After the meal the "Feats of Strength" are performed, involving wrestling the head of the household to the floor, with the holiday ending only if the head of the household is actually pinned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus
(December 22, 2009 at 12:24 am)Minimalist Wrote: I suggest that this year we call it "Friday."

Next year we can see what it needs to be called!
I think the name Winter Solstice is most appropriate, if it has to have any special name. I like the idea of celebrating the return of light. And yes, I know we're past the real winter solstice already (happened at 9:47 a.m. on Monday, December 21).
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
I propose we change the names of all the days of the week as some of them are tied in to various Norse gods.

New naming convention: Firstday Seconday Thirday, on until Tenthday. I'm also proposing a switch to metric calendars.
- Meatball
Christmess
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
My family is celebrating Yule and we celebrated the Winter Solstice too. My parents are pagan druid types.

I'm happy to celebrate whatever so long as it's benign.

EvF
(December 22, 2009 at 9:56 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I'm happy to celebrate whatever so long as it's benign I get lots of food and presents.

EvF

Fixed Wink

+1 for Cashmus
Actually you're wrong.

EvF
Aww Evie Big Grin Haha!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2022 Very Merry Christmas thread!! Jehanne 7 709 December 27, 2022 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  [Serious] A true Christmas story. Jehanne 6 853 December 19, 2022 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What did you get for Christmas? arewethereyet 13 711 December 29, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Merry Christmas!! Jehanne 10 744 December 26, 2021 at 8:28 am
  Brace yourselves... Christmas is coming! T.J. 71 2897 December 25, 2021 at 11:22 am
  Christmas decorations 2021 pics brewer 21 1705 December 13, 2021 at 8:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What’s a reasonable amount to give on Christmas? Apollo 3 344 December 25, 2020 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Incidental Christmas Movies brewer 6 796 December 25, 2020 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Christmas cards brewer 8 475 December 23, 2020 at 1:17 pm
  Merry Christmas you old otter you no one 3 1053 December 7, 2020 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah