Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The worst argument.
The worst argument.
I think the worst and sadly one of the most overused arguments ever are arguments from personal experience. Too often I'll be trying to make a point, either on these forums or in real life and someone will say "Well when I....(got pregnant, was sent to jail, was depressed, whatever.)

This is one of the worst arguments that can be made. You are trying to make a point about something that covers broad numbers of people by using an example of one. It's harsh to say, but it really doesn't matter what your personal experience is. For all we know it only applies to you and doesn't apply to anyone else.

What's even worse about that argument is that it immediately makes things personal and any statement that's made afterwards is dismissed as some sort of personal attack even though maybe my original point was probably made about people in general. Which is the second tactic of people using personal points, which is immediately to accuse the person of generalizing. Of course you are generalizing when talking about broad topics that apply to millions of people. Is it worse to generalize on a topic like abortion (someone once challenged the assertion that unprotected sex causes more pregnancy than protected sex because that's not how their pregnancy was caused.) or is it worse to use a case that may only apply to a single person and use it as an example for all of humanity? If a generalization doesn't apply to you, then it doesn't apply to you and there is no reason to be upset over it.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: The worst argument.
(April 12, 2014 at 3:38 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: I think the worst and sadly one of the most overused arguments ever are arguments from personal experience. Too often I'll be trying to make a point, either on these forums or in real life and someone will say "Well when I....(got pregnant, was sent to jail, was depressed, whatever.)
Interestingly, your second sentence is about your personal experience with arguments from personal experience.

Whatever excuse(s) you make for this, maybe you should give others the same benefit of the doubt.
That's called the xtian brainfart argument, Capn.

It's as worthless as all their other shit.
(April 12, 2014 at 3:51 pm)alpha male Wrote:
(April 12, 2014 at 3:38 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: I think the worst and sadly one of the most overused arguments ever are arguments from personal experience. Too often I'll be trying to make a point, either on these forums or in real life and someone will say "Well when I....(got pregnant, was sent to jail, was depressed, whatever.)
Interestingly, your second sentence is about your personal experience with arguments from personal experience.

Whatever excuse(s) you make for this, maybe you should give others the same benefit of the doubt.

There is nothing wrong with talking about your personal experience per se, but to use it as though it negates data about large groups of people is what I'm talking about. I think you are just trying (and failing as usual) to be clever.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Oh I don't know, seems pretty clever to me Big Grin.

As you say, personal experience does not trump logic or data. But as you've just demonstrated, it's impossible to remove it from the equation altogether.

In my experience that is Wink
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(April 13, 2014 at 3:40 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: But as you've just demonstrated, it's impossible to remove it from the equation altogether.

I don't think he suggested that you could, rather he's simply saying how utterly pointless an argument from personal experience is. That Captain has had experience dealing with people who use this argument is entirely irrelevant to whether it is a good argument or not. The point he is making does not rely on his personal experience, unlike the people who use personal experience as the crux of their own arguments. So no, what beta male said was not 'clever'. It completely missed the point, and I rather think you did too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Super Heroes, Star Wars and Star Trek is the worst entertainment made in US history Sanau 18 1747 March 30, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The WORST Advice Someone Ever Gave You BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1093 April 14, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  My cat is the worst thing ever! Foxaèr 14 3054 April 24, 2018 at 12:51 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Worst Love Songs brewer 2 858 January 21, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Cod
  What was the worst year of your life? ƵenKlassen 21 1867 November 14, 2017 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Haipule
  Worst movie you've seen Cyberman 125 24701 August 27, 2017 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  90's song thread: best and/or worst c172 19 5048 July 9, 2017 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  80's song thread/best and worst brewer 50 13912 July 8, 2017 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: c172
  What's the worst scent you've ever smelled? rado84 34 5229 July 20, 2016 at 11:06 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Which is the worst misjudgement? Edwardo Piet 18 2296 May 4, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: ignoramus