Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
just noticed the rules
just noticed the rules
I recommend a link to the rules during account creation. During signup, I read something that I thought was the rules, only to realize minutes ago that there is a Rules & Information forum.
RE: just noticed the rules
Not a bad idea, CJ.

Many miss the rules and regs thread/ forum.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Absolutely correct, just checked. There's no link whatsoever to rules.php at member.php?action=register, and the link to rules.php is only visible when you're signed in - when you aren't there's no link to it in the header, or in the footer of the site.

I think your suggestion is a no-brainer - needs to be fixed!
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Certainly, I think we can get Tibs or Moros on it, but I think we somehow expected that people would actually be sensible enough to understand Rules & Information:
New to the forum? Before you make your first post, please read through the rules and other important information inside this forum.
, but hey, that's just me.. Angel
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Yes and these are the rules that you are presented with when signing up:

[Image: zt8xky.jpg]

There's no mention whatsoever of these ones.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
I suppose this is a no-brainer as you say but frankly I probably didn't read the rules in the agreement very carefully before signing up. And I would never have been interested to read through that long list of rules if it had been made available before signing up. I doubt if I'm the only one who assumes they can just be themselves and if that doesn't cut it they can kick my ass out. Normal civility should carry the day.
I don't know Aractus, but to me Registration Agreement and Forum Rules are two completely different concepts. As a member of the staff I do not oppose the idea to make the rules more accessible to newbies, but the real no-brainer here is a) read through the description of the subforums before posting and b) the Site Specific subforum is at the top of the page, it's kinda hard to miss and c) there's another link to the rules in the top right hand corner. I'm sorry, but it's hard to help inattentive and ignorant idiots.

(April 16, 2014 at 8:28 am)whateverist Wrote: I suppose this is a no-brainer as you say but frankly I probably didn't read the rules in the agreement very carefully before signing up. And I would never have been interested to read through that long list of rules if it had been made available before signing up. I doubt if I'm the only one who assumes they can just be themselves and if that doesn't cut it they can kick my ass out. Normal civility should carry the day.

Heh, I personally read through the rules of ever forums I've ever posted in, but one would think that "don't be a cunt" would indeed suffice. Not on the A+ boards, however.. Jeez, the amount of their rules and guidelines are about five-fold of what we have here and being sensible did definitely not apply over there. Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(April 16, 2014 at 8:33 am)Kayenneh Wrote: I'm sorry, but it's hard to help inattentive and ignorant idiots.

Come on...
My SAT subscores ranged from the 45th to the 95th percentiles.
(April 16, 2014 at 9:32 am)Coffee Jesus Wrote: Come on...
My SAT subscores ranged from the 45th to the 95th percentiles.

A high IQ does not save you from being an (occasional) idiot and it's not your suggestion that I'm mocking (as I said, I think it can be implemented and I see no reason why not to). It's just that I find it exceedingly funny that people seem to think that we're hiding the rules, since they are in obvious sight. As Whateverist said, you'll manage pretty well with being sensible, and if a new member breaks any of the rules, we on the staff are sure to point it out. We can put all the flashing neon signs pointing to the rules all over the forums and that they should be read, but frankly, if one misses them as they are now, I figure that it's because people don't care about reading them and no amount of "advertising" can make people read them through, if they are not actually interested in doing so.

The problem was that I thought I had already read the rules.

I been on sites that distinguish between the forum rules and the terms of service, but that didn't occur to me.

(April 16, 2014 at 8:14 am)Aractus Wrote: Yes and these are the rules that you are presented with when signing up:

[Image: zt8xky.jpg]

There's no mention whatsoever of these ones.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestion for a minor rules change. Ravenshire 24 6297 July 8, 2015 at 9:12 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Why is having a mod on the ignore list against rules? Something completely different 147 31003 October 31, 2013 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Just something i noticed Mothonis 10 2941 September 17, 2013 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Mothonis
  Religious threats and the forum rules? Something completely different 17 6005 June 2, 2013 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Rules for the R'lyeh Forum Love 18 5634 May 16, 2013 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Rules Change Shell B 16 5522 November 14, 2012 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Proposed Alteration to Forum Rules Existentialist 6 3551 October 27, 2010 at 8:42 am
Last Post: Shell B
  When complaining about other users who have broken the rules discussion Violet 4 2258 September 18, 2009 at 6:13 am
Last Post: Retorth
  Link posting rules Overmars 10 5712 August 13, 2009 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Thread rules? Giff 17 6867 April 16, 2009 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki