Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion for a minor rules change.
I'd like to recommend rule 13, no calling out, be slightly expanded to include following people from thread to thread with the express purpose of calling that person out for a wrong suffered (real or perceived) in another thread and any time a call-out post is made in order to dredge up past wrongs (real or perceived) from other threads.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
RE: Suggestion for a minor rules change.
If the transgression is admitted and atoned for in some semblance, then okay.

This is rare, so you're setting up a scenario where I have to forget the conversation in the kitchen once we reach the dining room. You also establish a situation where someone can contradict themselves across threads and not be challenged.
Also, rules #2 amd #4 cover the spammy/trolly nature of what you're talking about.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Yet, you cannot create a new thread for these same purposes. I do understand the potential issues but currently there is a loophole by which people can (and have) been called out for things that had no relevance whatsoever to the current topic. This is what I'd like to see closed.
Is that really a thing?

I'm guessing that would be considered trolling, anyway.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(July 4, 2015 at 1:16 am)Faith No More Wrote: Is that really a thing?  

I'm guessing that would be considered trolling, anyway.

I was told it was neither trolling or calling out. Don't get me wrong, you guys want to keep the rules as is, that's fine. I've just seen this loophole exploited.
Give us an example of this taking place.
I'm fine with expanding the rule in this way. Behind the scenes, we've been talking about rewriting a number of the rules to make them less ambiguous and expand their scope to cover more than they currently do.
(July 4, 2015 at 11:34 am)KUSA Wrote: Give us an example of this taking place.

Go read a significant proportion of Huggy74's posts. He makes regular use of this tactic in order undermine a thread.

(July 4, 2015 at 1:16 am)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: Yet, you cannot create a new thread for these same purposes. I do understand the potential issues but currently there is a loophole by which people can (and have) been called out for things that had no relevance whatsoever to the current topic. This is what I'd like to see closed.

This, I agree with. The loophole exists when the rule is interpreted as only starting a thread in order to do so is a violation.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Petition Poll for username change Foxaèr 17 2102 March 7, 2021 at 9:38 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Suggestion: Install Soma Tablet Depositories On All Threads Violet 17 2477 May 3, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Suggestion: atheism source links Foxaèr 3 1092 April 28, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Does this already exist? If not, count it as a suggestion Reltzik 26 2951 October 3, 2018 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Joods
Sad Me no like change. Me sad GUBU 12 1280 September 21, 2018 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Sub forum suggestion Joods 2 975 July 15, 2018 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New Code suggestion Joods 30 4816 May 21, 2018 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Compulsory swearing subsection suggestion I_am_not_mafia 47 6300 May 13, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Civility subsection suggestion Catholic_Lady 400 46423 May 11, 2018 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Min's Rep Indication Suggestion Edwardo Piet 42 4082 October 19, 2017 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Tiberius